Dining Out

Options
alybran
alybran Posts: 199 Member
Dining out with any sort of dietary restriction can be a nightmare. Share your horror stories, favorite restaurants and meals, and general tips and tricks for dining out as a vegetarian!

Replies

• crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yeah, haven't tried this yet lol. There is a local pizza place though that has amazing vegetarian subs and I've been getting those for years, just because they taste so good! We eat out a lot on the weekends and I do need to start figuring out how to handle chain restaurants.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I like Nando's in the UK because they do a really great bean burger and really good veggie sides like sweet potato wedges that are half a sweet potato so you don't feel shafted ordering it, chargrilled seasonal veggies in a lovely light tomato sauce as well as the usual suspects: coleslaw and spicy rice. Veggie sushi is a favourite. I prefer Wasabi over Itsu but you get more for your calorie at Itsu. But Wasabi has edamame beans in their veggie bento...see these are the life problems.

I have IBS so I can't eat certain fermenting fruits and vegetables (i.e. broccoli, which is very sad as I love broccoli, bell peppers, apples...), large quantities of dairy and I'm allergic to coconut so tbh, I'm a bit of a nightmare and prefer to eat at home.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Lord of the Fries is entirely vegetarian and vegan. They have burgers and hot dogs, but my favourite is the halal snack pack. It has chips, "meat" strips, hummus, cheese, sriracha and bbq sauce.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My husband is bringing me home supper from a local Thai place. Anyone looking for a sure bet to get vegetarian fare might consider a Thai place. Our local one is called Thai L'Elephant.

Here is what my husband is bringing me home

FUJI DUMPLING

steamed green apples, leeks, mushroom dumplings; served with soy vinaigrette

VEGGIE ROLL
    fried crispy roll filled with mixed vegetables and glass noodle; served with sweet and sour sauce

GOLDEN TRIANGLE
    fried crispy light battered bean curd; served with sweet and sour peanut sauce
  • purebredpolly
    edited April 2017
    Options
    We have hoagie joint out here called Primos Hoagies, if you have one near you they have quite a few options.

EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA
    Eggplant with Homestyle Marinara and Melted Provolone Cheese

HEALTHY CHEESE
    Choice of Light Swiss Cheese or Slender American Cheese

NONNA'S VEGGIES
    Eggplant, Sharp Provolone & Broccoli Rabe Topped with Roasted Red Peppers

KNUCKLE SANDWICH
    Sharp Provolone Cheese Topped with Roasted Red Peppers

MILANO
    Fresh Mozzarella Cheese Topped with Roasted Red Peppers

CHEESE DELUXE
    Swiss, Provolone & Cooper Sharp American

SANDWICH TOPPINGS

STUFFED PEPPER SHOOTERS, ITALIAN LONG HOT PEPPERS, BRUSCHETTA, ROASTED RED PEPPERS, BROCCOLI RABE, SCHWARTZIE DRESSING

SIDES
    Rice Pudding, Pepper Shooters, Sharp Provolone Bites, Cole Slaw, Potato salad, Tortellini Parmesan, Roasted Red Pepper Salad ,Green Olive Salad, Pasta salad, Macaroni Salad, Olive Shooters, Marinated Mozzarella

Small, Primo, Whole or Hoagie in a Bowl
    All Primo® Size Hoagies Are Available in a Low Carb or Whole Wheat Wrap or o Hoagie In A Bowl (No Bread). All Small Size Hoagies Are Available On Our Signature Wheat Roll
  • alybran
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Red Robin is my favorite chain restaurant. They're very accommodating to different diets, despite being a burger joint. I'm always getting a burger (veggie patty) in a lettuce wrap instead of a bun. All you really have to watch is the toppings, a lot of them have bacon so just be vigilant. Last time, I tried their southwest salad and just asked them to take the chicken off, it was still delicious and super filling! Oh and their mac and cheese is to die for (but do that on a heavy cardio day, lol)

EDIT: I should say, it's also my carnivore boyfriend's favorite. We never fight about where we're going because we generally agree to go there. :p
  • jfp420
    jfp420 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    alybran wrote: »
    Red Robin is my favorite chain restaurant. They're very accommodating to different diets, despite being a burger joint. I'm always getting a burger (veggie patty) in a lettuce wrap instead of a bun. All you really have to watch is the toppings, a lot of them have bacon so just be vigilant. Last time, I tried their southwest salad and just asked them to take the chicken off, it was still delicious and super filling! Oh and their mac and cheese is to die for (but do that on a heavy cardio day, lol)

EDIT: I should say, it's also my carnivore boyfriend's favorite. We never fight about where we're going because we generally agree to go there. :p

Great to hear about Red Robin. There is one near my house but I never thought it was veggie friendly. Sounds like it will make me and my carnivorous husband and sons very happy! The Cheesecake Factory always has yummy salads and vegetarian options. My other favorites are Indian and Mexican food. And our local sushi place always comes up with interesting vegetarian rolls.
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I went to a Mexican place on the River Thames and had refried bean quesadillas -- not the best because of the oil but it had a bit of spice and avocados. I'm trying to eat more avocados for good fats but it's hard going because the texture is so weird, especially when cold.
  • alybran
    Options
    jfp420 wrote: »

Great to hear about Red Robin. There is one near my house but I never thought it was veggie friendly. Sounds like it will make me and my carnivorous husband and sons very happy! The Cheesecake Factory always has yummy salads and vegetarian options. My other favorites are Indian and Mexican food. And our local sushi place always comes up with interesting vegetarian rolls.

They're the best! They have a regular veggie patty and a vegan patty. I think they even have turkey burgers for those cutting down on red meat. Different bun options, including whole wheat, lettuce, and no bun lol. Love that place.

I'll feel comfortable going to most "ethnic" restaurants without even checking the menu first. Indian and middle eastern make me the most comfortable because the dominant religions in those regions have some meat restrictions. Southeast Asian cuisine too, more because they just have a lower meat diet. Mexican restaurants will always have a quesadilla or veggie fajitas. Really I've noticed the hardest restaurants to eat at are almost always American fare. "Uh yes hi could I get a baked potato, please no bacon, steamed veggies, and a side salad?" Smh.
  • MsChucktowski
    MsChucktowski Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'll feel comfortable going to most "ethnic" restaurants without even checking the menu first. Indian and middle eastern make me the most comfortable because the dominant religions in those regions have some meat restrictions.

There is a fantastic Indian restaurant near me which is entirely vegetarian and vegan. It's so nice to be able to order ANYTHING on the menu. Saying that though, I always get the butter "chicken" :p
  • alybran
    Options
    I'll feel comfortable going to most "ethnic" restaurants without even checking the menu first. Indian and middle eastern make me the most comfortable because the dominant religions in those regions have some meat restrictions.

There is a fantastic Indian restaurant near me which is entirely vegetarian and vegan. It's so nice to be able to order ANYTHING on the menu. Saying that though, I always get the butter "chicken" :p

I'd love to live closer to a city or something, they're much more likely to have completely vegan/vegetarian restaurants. My dad goes up to NYC for check-ups (prostate cancer), and with his heart condition recently started an extremely restricted diet, and had zero problems finding somewhere to eat. In fact, there were mounds of restaurants that were suitable to his needs. Which is awesome. But also makes me jealous :p
  • jfp420
    Options
    The Happy Cow website or app is useful for finding vegetarian friendly restaurants. You can search by zip code. I use it a lot when traveling.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Come to Chicago - we've got tons of vegan and vegetarian restaurants. Ethiopian restaurants have a wide selection of vegetarian and vegan options too.
  • jfp420
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    Come to Chicago - we've got tons of vegan and vegetarian restaurants. Ethiopian restaurants have a wide selection of vegetarian and vegan options too.

I heard the Chicago Diner has amazing vegan food. I hope to eat there someday
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I live a few miles from the Chicago Diner. Yes, great food. There's also a place in Evanston (just north of the city) called Blind Faith Cafe - their lentil loaf is soo good. But not vegan - just vegetarian. We also have a some Indian restaurants that are all vegetarian as well.
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    If you are ever out my way, this place is AMAZING! HAN DYNASTY. On the list of CNN's Top 100 Chinese restaurants in the US.

http://www.handynasty.net

• jfp420
    Options
    If you are ever out my way, this place is AMAZING! HAN DYNASTY. On the list of CNN's Top 100 Chinese restaurants in the US.

Thanks for sharing that! I'm in the city all the time and never heard about it. Added to my list of places to try
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    jfp420 wrote: »

Thanks for sharing that! I'm in the city all the time and never heard about it. Added to my list of places to try

You won't be sorry, AMAZING! We are going to eat there for my husband's birthday. I can't wait!
  • shelbypx92
    shelbypx92 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Honestly, my go-to is Subway. I love eating a sandwich with just raw veggies but husband gets the veggie patty! I didn't even know they had a veggie patty until a couple of weeks ago, but it's really good. We also eat a lot of Mediterranean food (falafel and tahini salads are bae).
  • purebredpolly
    Options
    shelbypx92 wrote: »
    Honestly, my go-to is Subway. I love eating a sandwich with just raw veggies but husband gets the veggie patty! I didn't even know they had a veggie patty until a couple of weeks ago, but it's really good. We also eat a lot of Mediterranean food (falafel and tahini salads are bae).

WOW! Subway has a veggie patty? I need to check that out!!! Thanks!