OMAD Helpful Tips Needed for Upcoming Trip Overseas

wsandy8512
wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
My husband and I will be going to Europe next month and I'm wondering if any of you have travelled overseas while on OMAD? If so, were you able to stay on track? If you were able to, how did you handle your meal on the day of travel? We will be flying out at night and arriving there at 6:30am their time. I really, really do not want to blow this while on vacation so any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    If you need to eat more meals. Eat salads and such. Will help.
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    I hate airplane food so if it were me on travel day I'd get checked in a little early and have your meal at a restaurant in the airport. Then you should be good until the following evening when you're in Europe.
    As far as while you're there, if you are really committed to not blowing it I would just make everything revolve around your being able to eat your meal when you want. Schedule around it, be selfish and insist on it. And if it's not your meal time don't think you have to avoid sitting down with others while they are eating. Sit there and enjoy the moment and sip on a mineral water, tea or coffee. I find that by doing this it reinforces my feeling of control over my eating. Don't worry about what others are doing, put yourself number one.
  • wsandy8512
    Thank you both for those excellent tips!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Another thought is that sometimes traveling a long way is stressful, and you won't feel good if you're stressed out and hungry. If that happens I'd do like Bob suggested and expand your eating window a little with a reasonably sized small meal. Once you get back home where you're comfortable you can always get back on the OMAD bandwagon.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    flavoured teas help me when people around me are eating! :)

And remember what Joe always says - you can have it, just not now, later. Make sure whoever you are travelling with plans the best food meals at your feeding window so you don't feel like you've missed out.
  • wsandy8512
    jvcinv wrote: »
    Another thought is that sometimes traveling a long way is stressful, and you won't feel good if you're stressed out and hungry. If that happens I'd do like Bob suggested and expand your eating window a little with a reasonably sized small meal. Once you get back home where you're comfortable you can always get back on the OMAD bandwagon.

Are you a mind reader? I was just thinking about this very same thing. It will 6:30am there when we arrive which is six hours ahead of where we live. I can't imagine trying to wait until 7-8pm (UTC) to eat when I know I'll have jet lag. I'm tossing around the idea to give myself permission for our arrival day to be a splurge day; not a hog wild splurge, but telling myself it's okay to eat throughout the day if needed. Perhaps then I can do OMAD the rest of our time there.
  • blambo61
    To be truthfull, I would taste everything you can't get over here but not eat a ton of it! If your gone a week, that isn't a big deal. A month would be. When I'm on vacation my diet is usually too. You will have to decide what your strategy is and what is most important to you.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    You are just starting. You need stability. If you can survive this, you can avoid being a statistic. Remember, you can have it, just not now. And you shouldn't be atmosphere-bound to have success: what works on your best day has to work on your worst. Just stay the course. You'll love yourself for it even more when you get back!
  • wsandy8512
    blambo61 wrote: »
    To be truthfull, I would taste everything you can't get over here but not eat a ton of it! If your gone a week, that isn't a big deal. A month would be. When I'm on vacation my diet is usually too. You will have to decide what your strategy is and what is most important to you.

If I were a stronger person, I would not bother sticking to it on vacation. Maybe if I were into the plan for months before the trip, I'd consider indulging a bit. However, since I'm not, I think it's best if I at least try to stay on course. If I go too far off track, I'd gain back everything I've lost, if I have lost by then, and then I would be too discouraged to try and get back into it. Back to the proverbial thinking that everything I try isn't sustainable in reality. :-(

• wsandy8512
    You are just starting. You need stability. If you can survive this, you can avoid being a statistic. Remember, you can have it, just not now. And you shouldn't be atmosphere-bound to have success: what works on your best day has to work on your worst. Just stay the course. You'll love yourself for it even more when you get back!

I completely agree, I do need that stability. I will keep everything you've written here in mind, thank you.
  • blambo61
    edited April 2017
    Sounds good. You have a plan. Just have it later like Joe said!