Carbs or net carbs?

Options
sasaar
sasaar Posts: 36 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
I know this has been talked about a lot. But I've been in ketosis for 3 weeks and haven't lost a pound. I've been hitting 24 g carbs per day---probably 16g or so net. I want to go by net but I'm not even losing when I fall under 20!

I strive for around 60-65 g protein, 95-110g fat. I'm 130.0, 5"3. Help me! What can I do?!
Happy to share my diary with anyone who thinks they may have some insight.

Replies

• kilroy02
    kilroy02 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have read many people do Atkins the old way. Don't go by net, go by the actual carb amount to reach your 20 carbs per day. I used to go by the net carbs and also ate the Atkin's bars and shakes. I did their frozen meal deal, 3 times a day for 2 weeks with the Atkins bar and shake for the snacks, and I gained 3 pounds. Some of the older hard core will not eat anything that's not real food. None of the low carb products, like carbquik, or any low carb candy. They seem to do pretty good.

I just restarted, I have a lot more to lose than you. I lost according to their my fitness pal math, 5.2 pounds in 7 days, but I did gain 1/4 pound back this morning. I'm sticking to old Atkins as best as I can. I'm making cheesecake for my dessert using the knox gelatin recipe, and liquid stevia as a sweetner, with a teaspoon of vanilla and lemon juice. The recipe is on the bigger knox plain gelatin boxes. It's no bake, you just add the ingredients, mix it and then refrigerate it. I use the Philadelphia Neufatchel cheese, as it is 1 carb lower than the full fat. I'm striving to keep the carbs low. I'm sticking around 1500 calories, even though they keep trying to lower my calorie count on this site. They want my daily carbs to be 171 grams a day.
    I'd be on insulin if I had to eat that many carbs a day.

Good luck, and keep up the good fight.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Surely you're not too far from your target weight and the closer you get to goal the more accurate you have to be with CALORIES. 10 total carb grams is only 40 calories. 10 fat grams=90. One piece of cheese to many and you can be 100 calories over you defecit. Unless you have a metabolic disorder I'd worry way less about carbs net or total and focus on counting every bite of the fatty stuff...if you're not already.
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I use regular carbs, have never really done net. Net carbs figure in the fiber, I would think either is possible. But, the closer you get to goal, the harder it becomes. Don't loose hope.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Protein is pretty low. I honestly would increase protein and lower fat.
    Based on Phinneys recommendations for the weight loss phase.
    4v01ni3oyebj.jpg

You can use your own carb limits if these are too high.
    But you want more calories to come from bodyfat than dietary fat.
    At 100g fat that's 900 of your... what maybe 1400 calories coming from fat.
    That leaves you with 500 calories to get every nutrient you need from protein and whatever else you're eating.
    I'd suspect nutrient deficiency and that you're supplying enough fat from intake that your body doesn't need to dip into bodyfat.

That's assuming you haven't actually lost inches somewhere. Because you can lose fat without losing scale weight.
  • LynFaith
    LynFaith Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I read a really helpful macros chart somewhere. Inwill see if I have it in my phone - here it is. q2k6aec8u3sj.jpg
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @lynfaith - Any idea where this came from?

It's unusually high in its protein recommendations, which may be wise counsel.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    The more I read here, the more I realise I have no clue what I am doing...!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Is this right...?!
    o3j7d9e37mxh.png
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Is this right...?!
    o3j7d9e37mxh.png

That looks reasonable to me as long as you don't feel the calories are too low.
    Try it out for a bit and see how you feel.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I count net carbs. Why count fiber that is just going through your system and not adding to any weight gain?
  • sasaar
    sasaar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    I count net carbs. Why count fiber that is just going through your system and not adding to any weight gain?
    I'm not always regularly going to the bathroom so I wouldn't necessarily say it's going through my system ..
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    sasaar wrote: »
    I'm not always regularly going to the bathroom so I wouldn't necessarily say it's going through my system ..

Don't forget the old Piss 'n Pant™ diet - pee & breath are also bodily exports!

@canadjineh
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    LynFaith wrote: »
    I read a really helpful macros chart somewhere. Inwill see if I have it in my phone - here it is. q2k6aec8u3sj.jpg

Are you supposed to use the height line for yourself no matter what weight you are starting from? I have 100 pds to lose(and that is not getting me 'skinny' either, that is my 'nicely rounded' weight), but the chart doesn't seem to show a difference for whatever amount you have to lose. Does my question make sense?
  • Rob_in_MI
    Rob_in_MI Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I get away with counting only net carbs. My wife hasn't gotten results unless she goes by total carbs. That said, calories are important to some extent also.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sasaar wrote: »

Well granted the fiber might be in your system for a while but its not like it's being shoved into fat storage. Its coming out sooner or later LOL. If I have to count total carbs only, I would just give up on all veggies and I don't think that would be very good for my health really. Plus it's nice to have a little variety of food/diet.

I don't think I would last long at zero carb although it works for some folks.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options

Are you supposed to use the height line for yourself no matter what weight you are starting from? I have 100 pds to lose(and that is not getting me 'skinny' either, that is my 'nicely rounded' weight), but the chart doesn't seem to show a difference for whatever amount you have to lose. Does my question make sense?

I hate to say it but the metric height equivalent/conversion is waaaaaay out.... 5'9" is definitely NOT 175cm!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

It seems to be based on the "ideal weight" for that height.