Random Workout Tales, Lessons, & Woes

Replies

• Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    blambo61 wrote: »

How fast you able to do your 400s in? Just curious. Did you feel warmed up enough?

I did my 400's at a 7:30 minute mile pace. I did feel warmed up, but my warm up was at about a 15:00 minute mile pace. Before I retired, I did interval training at least once a week, it is really the best way to work on speed. Yesterday was all on a treadmill, and slower than I used to be, but it felt great! Now, I just need to build up for further and faster.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Vanguard1 wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »

How fast you able to do your 400s in? Just curious. Did you feel warmed up enough?

I did my 400's at a 7:30 minute mile pace. I did feel warmed up, but my warm up was at about a 15:00 minute mile pace. Before I retired, I did interval training at least once a week, it is really the best way to work on speed. Yesterday was all on a treadmill, and slower than I used to be, but it felt great! Now, I just need to build up for further and faster.

Interval training is great! I really like it too. I ran track for several years and did a lot of it in the past also. I think a warm up should be slow, it really isn't part of the workout. When I ran track, we used to do about a 2-mile warmup, do an interval session, then a 2-4 mile cool down (also to get a few more miles in). It's sad, but right now I couldn't race my previous warm-up pace right now for 2-miles! Now I do about a 1-mile warmup. I'm old so I have to make sure I warm up a lot or I could get injured easily. It will open up the airways a lot more also when warmed up well. I can tell a big difference after jogging real slow in my breathing after about 10-minutes of the jog. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    I've added this to my morning routine, and so far I like it to set up the day. Later in the day I'll do some elliptical, or walking, or body weight reps.

5 Minute Mobility & Stretch Routine
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    leveejohn wrote: »
    I've added this to my morning routine, and so far I like it to set up the day. Later in the day I'll do some elliptical, or walking, or body weight reps.

5 Minute Mobility & Stretch Routine

Yasssssssssssss!! Mobility work is so important. We lose our flexibility as we age. It is so important to do active stretching and foam rolling! Nice job!
  • leveejohn
    KetoKaHee wrote: »
    . . . and foam rolling . . .

ummmm, yeahhhhh, that's the other great thing I know I should be doing but don't . . . link me with a good introduction to it!
  • KetoKaHee
    Foam rolling can be hard at first because it can "hurt-so-good" and it might take a while to adapt your body to the different positions. It is like getting a deep tissue massage but way cheaper. The piriformis one in this video is a MUST. Trust me. https://youtu.be/tu3nnOGAfdA
  • leveejohn
    Foam rolling can be hard at first because it can "hurt-so-good" and it might take a while to adapt your body to the different positions. It is like getting a deep tissue massage but way cheaper. The piriformis one in this video is a MUST. Trust me. https://youtu.be/tu3nnOGAfdA

So in the video she talks about letting the muscle release. Can you elaborate? What exactly does this feel like? Quite similar language to that used by my PT when getting my calf dry-needled. She would find a 'trigger point' and sometimes would say "that was a big release" as she felt the knot. Pure black magic to me, I wouldn't have done it except I have a lot of history with this braniac PT and know she's the real deal. It hurt too, but man did it give me relief from plantar fasciitis like nothing else ever did.
  • KetoKaHee
    @leveejohn When you foam roll over a "knot" you need to keep the pressure on it for at least 30 seconds but preferrably when the muscle relaxes. This is usually not very comfortable and can be quite painful. It can feel like a mini charlie horse because your muscles will be contracting and fighting against the pressure. But if you keep it on that spot long enough the muscle will give up and relax. When it relaxes the muscle contraction will stop, you will get a big relief and the foam roller will sink deeper in the muscle.

It can take a while to get used to it but the more you do it the easier it will become. I actually enjoy the "hurt-so-good" feeling. Afterwards I feel like a million bucks!
  • blambo61
    Injured my calf today running hills :s Can walk but hurts a little. Won't be running for a little while. Will need to watch my calories close now cause I was burning 700+ cals in a run.
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    leveejohn wrote: »

So in the video she talks about letting the muscle release. Can you elaborate? What exactly does this feel like? Quite similar language to that used by my PT when getting my calf dry-needled. She would find a 'trigger point' and sometimes would say "that was a big release" as she felt the knot. Pure black magic to me, I wouldn't have done it except I have a lot of history with this braniac PT and know she's the real deal. It hurt too, but man did it give me relief from plantar fasciitis like nothing else ever did.

Trigger Point Therapy is so awesome! I have a TPT book that I used to finally rid myself of Plantar faciitis that plagued me for several months a couple of years ago. Best investment I ever made, I have a foam roller and a theracane on hand as well.

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    I am giving my biceps a rest. They are just...tired of curling...feel all tendon-y and weird in there.

In fact, I may do a full-body rest for the next three days.
  • jjrogalski73
    jjrogalski73 Posts: 15 Member
    edited April 2017
    I am giving my biceps a rest. They are just...tired of curling...feel all tendon-y and weird in there.

Lol. See? I told ya. :p Hope you are well, my friend.
  • arguablysamson

Well, at some point, I knew they would get there. It feels right at this point. But now, I got food poisoning so been bedridden for over 24 hrs. I'm ok though .
  • jjrogalski73
    edited April 2017

Well, at some point, I knew they would get there. It feels right at this point. But now, I got food poisoning so been bedridden for over 24 hrs. I'm ok though .

There have been times where I wanted to blow up my biceps, which has always been a "weak" point of mine. And at times, I too have curled so much that I ended up straining my bicep tendon to the point I couldnt do ANYTHING involving pull moves because I did those curls so much. Think of a rubber band when you pull on it then it snaps forward. That mess hurts!! Lifting a gallon of water or milk hurt like crazy and it was that way for months. I did heavy lat pull downs once about 2 years ago, and thought a day later I tore my biceps. Where my forearm ties into my bi's hurt so bad in that pocket (I think it is the brachialus) Just sharing my miserable experience with that myself. Getting older does suck. Sorry to hear of your food poisoning. Perhaps it was your birthday tacos? Not fun, especially if your throwing up between your legs. Ish! Happy Belated Birthday, young man. Lol. :)
  • arguablysamson

There have been times where I wanted to blow up my biceps, which has always been a "weak" point of mine. And at times, I too have curled so much that I ended up straining my bicep tendon to the point I couldnt do ANYTHING involving pull moves because I did those curls so much. Think of a rubber band when you pull on it then it snaps forward. That mess hurts!! Lifting a gallon of water or milk hurt like crazy and it was that way for months. I did heavy lat pull downs once about 2 years ago, and thought a day later I tore my biceps. Where my forearm ties into my bi's hurt so bad in that pocket (I think it is the brachialus) Just sharing my miserable experience with that myself. Getting older does suck. Sorry to hear of your food poisoning. Perhaps it was your birthday tacos? Not fun, especially if your throwing up between your legs. Ish! Happy Belated Birthday, young man. Lol. :)

No, it was a can of corn, I think. lol
  • jjrogalski73
    edited April 2017

Dood.....NEVER eat canned corn or canned anything for that matter....or you will be ON THE CAN for a long period of time. Case in point...... Lol! :D:D
  • arguablysamson

Dood.....NEVER eat canned corn or canned anything for that matter....or you will be ON THE CAN for a long period of time. Case in point...... Lol! :D:D

Oh I've been eating canned stuff for years. No issues until now. lol AND I LOVE CORN!!!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Use frozen corn. Better for your health. I have very sensitive taste buds, and I can taste the chemicals of the can lining material in everything canned. Gave up canned stuff years ago. Frozen vegetables are fine, no chemical taste.
  • arguablysamson
    I mostly prefer frozen. Today, just having an apple and a glass of Welch's grape juice.
  • blambo61
    When in high school eons ago, I decided to do 1000 bench reps with just a bar (45lbs) at home. I started out at sets of 100, then 50 and on down. I wore myself out so bad that I struggled to push that up and therefore I had a hard time getting up off the floor since I couldn't even support my body weight! That was crazy. I did do the 1000 reps.