Fiber? - potential TMI

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
This is something that has been brought up in a couple of threads recently:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10542462/we-should-do-another-meativore-may#latest

and

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10543909/salads-low-carb-killer-could-it-be#latest

The US guidelines say you need to have a minimum amount of fiber in your diet. Take this for what it is worth because the guidelines also state they are not based on results of following the diet and the only measurements they track are compliance with it. I know it makes no sense to track compliance with something without first determining if it is worth complying to. Anyhoo...

There are very smart people on both sides of this debate, so I did my own little n=1 experiment. I would recommend everyone do their own n=1 experiments when there seems to be conflicting data since frequently the cause of the conflicting data is that people are different and there is no one size fits all.

For me, having things "move along" through my system has been inconsistent to say the least my entire life. During the first part of my journey with keto, I was taking a fiber supplement but got quite backed up and uncomfortable, so I upped it. It didn't help.

I then went a few months where I stopped taking the supplement, but started using a bit more coconut oil and made sure I got adequate magnesium. During this time, things were moving quite nicely.

My n=1 experiment for the last month or so was to add back in the fiber supplement and increase my greens. I got backed up again and so I stopped them a couple of days ago and cut back the greens this week. MAN, DO I FEEL SO MUCH BETTER NOW!!!!!!!!! I think I may now be several pounds lighter when I weigh in at the gym tomorrow morning from where I was this morning.

I had seen some experts claim fiber can actually back things up. For me, it appears that is the case.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yep! That's what I found to be true as well.
    I used to blame eating too much cheese and protein for my troubles. I completely ignored that every time I seemed to have a big increase in cheese and subsequently an upset belly and constipation was after eating broccoli smothered in it.
    I cut the veg just for the sake of experimentation and WOW! What a difference it made!
    The only time I have any tummy trouble is when I eat vegetables or fiber. I even tried a mug cake with Coconut flour once. No vegetables. But that fiber was not a fun experience!
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. I may have to try this, as I have always had a hate-hate relationship with my guts, and have never been "regular". Once a day??? Madness! I have been trying to keep my veggies (and fiber) up while staying low carb, but I haven't seen any improvement in the ongoing battle, so maybe I'll try cutting the greens and veggies back more. Can't hurt to try!
  • cstehansen
    Options
    BTW, I have a couple of bottles of fiber supplements if anyone is interested. I don't think I will be using them any longer. Darn you Sam's Club with the great deal on large quantities!!!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    The only time that I get backed up is the combination of cheese and fiber (like lots of cheese with a side salad). As long as I 1 or the other, I am fine.

My take on the subject - eat more cheese and less salad!!! :smiley:
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am now starting to pay attention to this. I am very regular and I have never had to much tummy trouble due to vegetables........or so I thought!!!! I am now going to do my own little experiment. I seem to be ok with just a small side of most veggies, but not in larger doses. I'm just having trouble wrapping g my brain around not eating vegetables. It's like learning fat is not evil. But here I am eating a good amount of healthy fat and the lbs are dropping right off!!
  • cstehansen
    Options
    I am now starting to pay attention to this. I am very regular and I have never had to much tummy trouble due to vegetables........or so I thought!!!! I am now going to do my own little experiment. I seem to be ok with just a small side of most veggies, but not in larger doses. I'm just having trouble wrapping g my brain around not eating vegetables. It's like learning fat is not evil. But here I am eating a good amount of healthy fat and the lbs are dropping right off!!

IMHO, I do think there is a huge difference between getting some fiber in small servings of real foods like veggies and trying to get up to the government recommendations of 25-35 g per day by either eating a ton of them or by adding in supplements.

Glad to see you are doing your own experiment, though. I firmly believe there is no one size fits all. Some people will do great with a bunch of fiber. Apparently, I am not one of them.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I know what you mean! I still have trouble reconciling that vegetables aren't good for me. Even more that in my case they seem to be downright bad for me!

I can't remember where I heard it recently... someone, maybe it was that cardiologist who's name I can't think of right now, that said vegetables seem to be nuetral as far as health goes. That fat was beneficial and carbs were negative.
    For many I think vegetables probably are neutral. But for me, not so much. Unfortunately, because I really love quite a few of them.
    But I like feeling good so much more!
  • cstehansen
    Options
    My biggest struggle with this is I eat extremely fast and I tend to need large volume. For this, salads have been my friend because 1) I find it impossible to eat a salad very quickly and 2) they provide more volume.

Since it takes 20-30 minutes from the time my belly is full for my brain to realize it, the fast eating is the bigger issue. Growing up poor where "seconds" came from stealing off the plates of siblings, eating fast was a necessity. I am getting better at going slower, but it is hard.

With this WOE, there have been many times where I kept eating until I was full and then 20-30 minutes later I was in pain from being over-full.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    If you're interested in the history of the fiber recommendations, check out Dr. Kellogg. He was the main driver of that, because he had a weird fetish with the firmness of fecal matter as it relates to libido.