Mini Challenge April 18th-24th

Options
Mjtckwnow
Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
This week's Mini Challenge is "Clean Eating"

What does it mean to "eat clean"? For different people it can mean different things.

Clean eating is about eating more of the best and healthiest options in each of the food groups—and eating less of the not-so-healthy ones. That means embracing whole foods like vegetables, fruits and whole grains plus healthy proteins and fats. Eating clean also means cutting back on refined grains, pesticides, additives, preservatives, unhealthy fats and large amounts of sugar and salt

Below are great examples of how to incorporate clean eating into your diet:

1) Eat Whole Foods: Whole foods are foods that haven’t been tampered with, in the lab or the manufacturing plant. The foods you eat are straight from the farm: whole fruits and vegetables, whole grains, grass-fed and free-range meats, low fat dairy products, unsalted nuts, and seeds.

2) Avoid Processed Foods: Processed foods are any food that has a label. A label means that more than one ingredient was used to make that food. You don’t have to eliminate all processed foods (like whole grain pasta or natural cheeses), but if you can’t pronounce an ingredient on a label, don’t put that food in your shopping basket.

3) Eliminate Refined Sugar: Refined sugar provides nothing but calories. Other sweeteners (natural not artificial) can be used, but with all the good foods you add to your diet, refined sugar really has very little place in the eating clean plan.

4) Cook Your Own Meals: Instead of buying meals in a box, cook meals from scratch. That’s not as hard as it sounds! Clean, whole foods need little preparation beyond chopping and sautéing to make satisfying, delicious meals your family will love.

5) Combine Protein With Carbs (& Healthy Fats): When you do snack or eat a meal, make sure that meal is balanced. For the most satisfaction from your diet, and so you’ll be less tempted to eat junk food, combine protein with carbs or carbs and fat. This simple act will fuel your body and quash hunger pangs.

6) Don't Drink Your Calories: High Calorie drinks like specialty coffee, sodas, alcoholic beverages can on average tack on an additional 400-500 calories a day. Choose water first, unsweetened tea, skim milk, 100% fruit juice diluted with sparking water.

7) Avoid Vegetable Oils/Spreads: Vegetable oils and margarines don’t meet the criteria for clean eating. For starters, they are produced by extracting oil from seeds and vegetables using chemicals, making them highly processed. However it is important to include a moderate amount of healthy fats in a clean eating regimen. Choose oils and spreads that are minimally processed and provide the greatest health benefits, such as extra virgin coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, and butter from grass-fed cows.

Can you go all in and follow all of these "rules" this week? Or maybe you need to start smaller and pick one or two to focus on this week? Even if you only take a few steps toward eating cleaner—it can still make an impact on your health. It's your choice how you want to tackle this but take this challenge and make some great strides this week in your health & nutrition and see a reward on the scale next week!
Post throughout the week how your clean eating is going :)

awv561ulgqbp.jpg

Replies

• dbackgrammy
    dbackgrammy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This is one I truly need. I am so excited to see what everyone has to say throughout the week. Good luck everyone with this mini challenge.
  • Mjtckwnow
    Options
    Followed all (7) rules on Tuesday.

I gave up my morning hot tea which I drink with 2 Splendas and splash of milk and my afternoon Coke Zero so I was feeling a little sleepy mid afternoon without my caffeine but I made it through and had a unsweetened ice tea with lemon and perked right up.

Have the same menu as yesterday planned for today, so should hit all 7 again today :)
  • Mjtckwnow
    Options
    5 out of 7 today

• dbackgrammy
    Options
    I have printed this list and have it posted in my kitchen to help me remember these rules. Most of them are pretty easy for me to follow. My protein comes from good cuts of meat, but I don't pay the extra for the "grass-fed" products. My biggest downfall is usually the sugar, so I am concentrating on the sugar counts big time. I also have my one vise which is diet pepsi, so I am concentrating on drinking iced tea this week.

Thanks again, for posting this mini challenge this week.
  • trinitymwilson
    trinitymwilson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Coming into this challenge late, but I'm going to do this over the weekend which is perfect for Monday's weigh in 7yy6ctlfd9k8.png
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    I have to admit an "oops" moment with the mini challenge. Took my grandson to have pizza and play video games. While he ate cheese pizza and dessert pizza, I didn't give in, but did have a diet soda. Ice tea just wasn't going to make it with all the good stuff around. But didn't eat, and came home to make my own food. So I wavered, but not too far.
  • trinitymwilson
    Options
    that's a small victory Karen :) it takes a lot of mental effort not to eat tasty pizza.
    as for me, as of 2pm today the only sugar I've had was papaya and honey. I'm going to allow honey for myself this weekend I consider it to be natural plus there's way too much chocolate in the house I need something sweet or I might get sassy.
  • trinitymwilson
    Options
    Mama bear and papa bear we're up several times last night because of baby bear. I'm having my chai tea latte with soy even though it breaks the rules. I'm tired and grumpy. I'll make sure it fits in my Calories allotment.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I was not successful at this challenge at all this week. Too much candy (and too little self-control) plus it was take-out week due to some appointments so there was pizza and a grilled buffalo chicken wrap. Still came in under my calories each day and had 5+ servings of fruit and veg. And no alcohol! So I finally completed the mini-challenge from a couple of weeks ago :p
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    This week has been crazy I did a 24 hr trip to Toronto so 2 flights in that time plus finishing up a 2000km road trip. I am getting back on track food wise but haven't been able to completely eat clean. I'm more aware and haven't had a drink this week either. I think I will tomorrow though but I'm feeling good getting back into the swing of things and having life chill out a bit!
  • Mjtckwnow
    Options
    Taking a cheat day today, I've been spring cleaning/purging for the past 12 hours and I'm finally sitting down to relax & I'm going to enjoy some wine. Will be back at it tomorrow :)
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    I was not successful at this challenge at all this week. Too much candy (and too little self-control) plus it was take-out week due to some appointments so there was pizza and a grilled buffalo chicken wrap. Still came in under my calories each day and had 5+ servings of fruit and veg. And no alcohol! So I finally completed the mini-challenge from a couple of weeks ago :p

Barb, @TheCupcakeCounter , completing one mini challenge at a time. Way to see the positives of the week. I think we all struggled a little or a lot with this week's mini challenge. But you stayed under calories. Good job, young lady.
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    Zulu87 wrote: »
    This week has been crazy I did a 24 hr trip to Toronto so 2 flights in that time plus finishing up a 2000km road trip. I am getting back on track food wise but haven't been able to completely eat clean. I'm more aware and haven't had a drink this week either. I think I will tomorrow though but I'm feeling good getting back into the swing of things and having life chill out a bit!

Zoe, @Zulu87 , weight loss while doing a lot of traveling is tough. You can do this, just take it one week at a time, and do the best you can with the food available while traveling. Remember to drink lots of water while traveling to help flush out water retention. You got this!!!
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    Mjtckwnow wrote: »
    Taking a cheat day today, I've been spring cleaning/purging for the past 12 hours and I'm finally sitting down to relax & I'm going to enjoy some wine. Will be back at it tomorrow :)

MJT, our fearless leader, YOU deserve a cheat day!!!! If only drinking some wine is considered a cheat day to you, WOW, you are very strong. Thanks for being our leader.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Bravo to you ladies! I wish I could eat like this but I can't. Don't have the time to get all that together. I just do the best with what I have at home.
  • Mjtckwnow
    Options
    5 out of 7 today

I'll make the next challenge a fun one to make up for this week's not-so-fun clean eating challenge :)
This discussion has been closed.