Let's call it a science experiment....

Options
pitbullmamaliz
pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
I started the low carb WOE on March 9th, and other than a couple random bites of things here and there, I've stayed on plan quite happily and easily. Today a few friends and I went to my favorite pizza joint, where one of my fave pizzas was available for a limited time only. I planned ahead, and knew I was just going to say eff it and splurge. So I ate a Caesar salad (no croutons, LOL), a whole 8-piece pizza with some awesome yum toppings, and 1 bite of sopapilla cheesecake.

I cannot binge like I used to be able to do. I had to struggle to finish my pizza, and ate only the toppings on the last 3 pieces. I refused to take home leftovers of it because this was a one meal splurge, but it was expensive so dammit, I was finishing it. But it was hard! I could have happily stopped after the salad and a couple slices if I were willing to take home leftovers. But I'm a trooper, I pushed through.

Within a few hours, I was very grateful that my barn had a very clean port-o-potty, LOL. But other than that and a little bit of gurgly tummy afterwards, it's sitting okay. I logged it - carbs and cals were crazy high. I know my weight will bump up for a few days, so I'll be interested to see how high it goes and how long it takes to come back.

I'm glad I did this. It was good, and yeah, I'll probably do it again (in more moderation) if I just really want something that's super special to me. But I'm ready to go back to my low carb WOE tomorrow. For once in my life, a binge is not going to turn into a series of binges.

Replies

• MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Oh man. I wish I had the ability to have a single meal out without leaping off the wagon and diving into a full on binge-spiral, but I'm just not there yet. Maybe, some day. Please let me know if you experience headache/craving/negative side effects in the next few days as you re-adjust back to low carbing, I'm curious. My husband had potato chips last night (an entire 300g bag of them, disgusting bbq so I wouldn't be tempted) and he experienced some tummy issues as well.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Swiping a piece of pizza when my husband and son get it, and eating the toppings is a favorite pass time of mine. ;)
  • sasaar
    sasaar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I "cheated" with a small ice cream cone and sprinkles yesterday. I've treated myself with that before while on other diets but this time around felt very different. It was almost too much for me and I was very queasy after. My stomach blew up and my keto strip was negative this morning. Totally agree with you on how this is all one big science experiment. It was also definitely a great way for me to silence those ice cream cravings for a while...
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Man...I'm looking at my recent week as a science experiment myself, a bad one. But I'd rather look at it as an experiment and learning lesson, instead of a failure.

Last week, my schedule was totally off due to some work functions and various dogsitting gigs. Wednesday through yesterday I have been a crazed snacking beast. I didn't even cheat on good food worth the gain, it's all been snack crap that doesn't even taste that good.

That's actually the thing I'm disappointed about. If I had cheated on some amazing pizza or thai food, at least I'd kind of understand...but no. I binged on granola bars, fruit by the foot, doritos/chips, just a bunch of super processed fake stuff.

And the other mind boggling thing, is that I felt instant negative results...I felt heavy and lethargic, unmotivated, bloated, my skin broke out...and yet I kept spiraling downward day after day. Sure, my schedule and added responsibility could have been a contributing factor, but I know it was mostly the 5 day binge that caused the ill effects. I was really uncomfortable with how out of control I felt.

Today I'm back to my regular schedule at work. I went to the grocery store to be prepared for the remainder of the time I'm at my friends house dogsitting. I'm hitting the reset button and feel good about it. I'm up about 4-5 lbs...which is not surprising. I guess I'm kinda using this thread as my confessional so I can disclose my errors and be held accountable.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Say one Our Father, three Hail Marys and eat 7lbs of steamed cabbage, 2 prunes, 4 hard-boiled eggs and a fillet of mackerel, my child.
    Now go, and gorge no more!

Aha! ... We now have 2 priests among us.

@2t9nty

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Actually, I've been de-frocked.

A pity, it was a nice one with roses an' sequins an' stuff....
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options

I was thinking we could have a clergy support group with keto friendly snacks at the meetings. I do know of one other priest on the forum who may or may not wish to be outed (and so I won't).
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

So now you have less roses an' stuff (or fewer?).
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I have fewer roses, and less decorum....
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    @johnnylew Have you tried Fathead pizza? OMG its too die for and lchf/keto friendly if you are ever jonesing for a good slice :)
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    @genmon00 oh that is with almond flour? I am going to try that. I am getting lazy with the pan pizza, its so easy. but the almond flour one I need to try.
  • MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think I'll try that pan pizza @johnnylew, sounds really good.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I feel like Elvis would approve!
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Well, I was up 1.2lbs today, but otherwise I feel great. No sluggishness or fogginess. No headache. And best yet? No desire to have lots of carbs! I'm pretty pleased with how well that all went. I'll be interested to see how long this extra pound lingers, but I'm certainly not stressing over it.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    @genmon00 oh that is with almond flour? I am going to try that. I am getting lazy with the pan pizza, its so easy. but the almond flour one I need to try.

Yes but very little lol I think only to hold it together crust is cream cheese, mozzarella, egg and a bit of almond flour. The cream cheese/mozz is melted together then egg and flour added. You bake it first for a bit then add toppings to melt only it's so yum!
  • Liquidfeet
    Liquidfeet Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can try pizza eggs; either scrambled or open faced omelette style with the sauce, cheese and toppings. It really helps cut down the pizza cravings. Or maybe try making a mini pizza in a portabella mushroom and baking it.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    I do make pizza in a frying pan and OMG. Simply turn the stove on a low heat. But the Cheese down, dab a little sauce, put down some pepperoni and slow cook it so the cheese browns (not burns) on the bottom. The toppings will cook from the hot cheese. If done right the cheese will be a crispy brown. So crispy you can cut it into small pizza slices. I usually dont have the patience and pull it off the stove too soon and eat it before it gets crispy. It is still soooo good! Try it out.

I do this too, except I use the pizza sauce as a dip. Totally scratches that pizza itch!!
    genmon00 wrote: »
    @johnnylew Have you tried Fathead pizza? OMG its too die for and lchf/keto friendly if you are ever jonesing for a good slice :)

Love this pizza! It's so much like the real thing!