Sweating more that normal...

Options
megdnoorman
megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
This is sort of gross, but I feel like I have been sweating more than normal since being in ketosis. Has anyone else had this?

Replies

• Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    how long ago did you start keto?
    I have never been a sweater, and never once experienced BO, my second or third week of keto I smelled so bad I could hardly stand myself! I am SO THANKFUL that went away after about 2 weeks. I can deal with the bad keto breath, but not the BO!
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    I've been trying on and off for a month or so, but I've been consistently keto and in ketosis about 2 weeks. I hope this goes away! It's so gross :(
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Are you keeping your salt intake up?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    If you are burning fat, it can be exuded through your pores. If so, please take care to wash and apply a cleanser or moisturizer with PH balancing in it, else you may end up with a rash. If you're sweating more just in general, it could just be due to metabolism acceleration, etc.
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    Are you keeping your salt intake up?

I'm trying to. I drink bone broth and take electrolyte and magnesium supplements. I haven't had headaches/weakness etc. just lots of sweat lol.

• megdnoorman
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    If you are burning fat, it can be exuded through your pores. If so, please take care to wash and apply a cleanser or moisturizer with PH balancing in it, else you may end up with a rash. If you're sweating more just in general, it could just be due to metabolism acceleration, etc.

I've been rinsing in the shower regularly and no signs of rashes etc. but I'll look into ph balancing products.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @megdnoorman - For me, I had to wipe down with witch hazel, then moisturize with coconut oil. My skin is weirdly sensitive though. It generally only happened when I heavily exerted myself (we moved our work office during that time, and that day was awful!). I never got to a point of rash, but it felt the ... for lack of a better phrase ... itchy-twitchy way I feel when I get a light sunburn. It took me several times to figure out what it was.

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/does-ketosis-cause-an-internal-rise-in-body-temperature/2344

https://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1kf795/profound_sweating/

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109382451

A few links per google. Most seem to agree that it is a metabolism boost or thermogenic/fat burning effect. I noticed it most (the warmth) when I had coconut oil or MCT oil.
  • megdnoorman
    Options
    Thanks for the links! I'm happy that it's a sign of metabolism boost, but what an annoying side effect