favorite bottled salad dressing

Options
nikoba
nikoba Posts: 291 Member
I have been striking out left and right trying to find a bottled salad dressing that I can just keep in the fridge at work, that I like the taste of. Besides ranch (I'm ranched out at the moment), what are your favorite bottled/convenience salad dressings?

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I have to confess, I make my own, and take it to work.... If you have any left-over empty bottles, you can probably do that. I'd recommend it, rather than seeking something commercial, out....

Remember, it's one part vinegar/lemon juice, and 3 parts oil.... as to flavourings, don't skimp on the salt, and you can add mustard, garlic, pepper, and/or finely chopped capers, gherkins or parsley.....

Just trying to help out, here.....
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great idea about using an old bottle. I like to make mine with either red wine or balsamic vinegar.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    We make our own ranch with homemade mayo (trying to avoid bad oils), but for convenience I keep Brianna's French Vinaigrette on hand.
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I love balsamic vinaigrette :)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I like Kraft ranch but I often mix olive oil and balsamic at home and bring it in a little container.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    make my own, you wont find any commercially processed salad dressing that does not contain canola or soybean oil
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of saving the dressing bottles and then just making my own. How long should a homemade vinaigrette last if kept in the fridge?
  • ryanb1385
    ryanb1385 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Ken's Steak house Creamy Italian is my go to. Its amazing
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    I love the idea of saving the dressing bottles and then just making my own. How long should a homemade vinaigrette last if kept in the fridge?

How long they keep in the fridge varies upon what is in them. The Greek and Italian I make last about forever not even refrigerated...or until the oil gets rancid but I've not had that happen. They're just oil, vinegar and spices.

I make a couple dressings with lime juice and intentionally use bottled lime juice versus fresh figuring the bottled lime juice may have a longer shelf life than fresh. I've had bottles of lime juice in the fridge for well over a year.

Anything made with fresh onion probably lasts only a week or so. The onion can rot.

If I make something with an egg, I'm not willing to keep that in the fridge for more than a few days. I made a mayo once and it was delicious but the amount with just one egg was more than I would eat in a few months. It got tossed after about a week. It looked good. It tasted good. I just wasn't willing to chance it.
  • amyrising
    amyrising Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love Blue Cheese. It's full of fat, contains no sugar and only 1 carb per serving. I love Marie's Chunky Blue Cheese.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    nikoba wrote: »

How long they keep in the fridge varies upon what is in them. The Greek and Italian I make last about forever not even refrigerated...or until the oil gets rancid but I've not had that happen. They're just oil, vinegar and spices.

I make a couple dressings with lime juice and intentionally use bottled lime juice versus fresh figuring the bottled lime juice may have a longer shelf life than fresh. I've had bottles of lime juice in the fridge for well over a year.

Anything made with fresh onion probably lasts only a week or so. The onion can rot.

If I make something with an egg, I'm not willing to keep that in the fridge for more than a few days. I made a mayo once and it was delicious but the amount with just one egg was more than I would eat in a few months. It got tossed after about a week. It looked good. It tasted good. I just wasn't willing to chance it.

Yes, I second the shelf life comment.... vinegar is a preservative. Lemon juice ditto, and Marine archaeologists found amphorae of olive oil and honey in the Mediterranean off Greece, which were still edible after around 600 years.... Seriously.

I use lemon juice, mustard, salt (oh yes... another preservative!) pepper and olive oil. I make about a half-litre at a time. The bottle currently sitting in my kitchen (now almost empty) has been there since January....
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Make your own, just don't use raw garlic in them and they last a long time, I always use mine up in a couple of weeks, so not sure just how long. Raw garlic can attract bad bacteria and can cause the whole bottle to go bad. I use garlic powder in mine. Dijon mustard is a good emulsifier to add to dressing, just a little and it helps everything stay together better.

If I want something totally different, I use Marie's blue cheese dressing. No no carb, but very low carb for a commercial product.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Agree about the garlic: I never personally add it to a dressing, because as it sits and brews it gets stronger and can't half pong the kitchen out! Besides, Salad dressing is a tasty garnish and addition to a meal; Garlic would make it quite dominant. Personally, I would say save the garlic for other more robust bases....
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ryanb1385 wrote: »
    Ken's Steak house Creamy Italian is my go to. Its amazing

I was a big Ken's guy then I read the label. Full of cheap unhealthy oil
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This stuff is the bees knees: https://www.tessemaes.com/
    They've got Paleo and Whole30 friendly dressings. Very healthy ingredients. I find that at my local Kroger and Publix.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    T Marzetti - any of their flavors are good, but my favorite is Ultimate Bleu Cheese