Mileage goals for new year?

Options

Replies

• daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    niblue wrote: »
    One of the guys in my club did over 18,000 miles last year! I'll be happy with 2000 this year myself.

18k...hahaha...I used a conversion chart and came up with a mileage of NOPE!
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    version50 wrote: »
    I'm shooting for 2017 miles in 2017. Easier for me to remember.

I like that idea - I'm going to change mine to 2017 miles as well.
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    You're not planning on a massive year-on-year progression on the mileage then?
  • niblue
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    You're not planning on a massive year-on-year progression on the mileage then?

Anything is progress!

Actually I think aiming for 2017 might be conservative given we're not at the end of January yet and I'm already up over 300 miles so far.
  • tony__mason
    tony__mason Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I had 3,118 miles in 2016. Looking to go 4,000-5,000 in 2017.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Late to the thread but just started riding again after a 4 month injury recovery. My goals this year are events (metric centuries), starting with the Cinderella April 8 at less than 2000' climbing and continuing into the fall until the rain starts with a goal of 5000' climbing (or more). Long term goal is returning to riding full centuries in 2018 (it's been years :) The very best of luck to everyone in achieving (and exceeding) your goals for this year!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    CHECK IN:

YTD / GOAL = 550/1000 MI = 55%
    Need to double my goal
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm at 830 miles of my ~6000. I'm a little behind schedule since I had to travel for work in January and followed that up by getting sick twice (so far) in Feb. Hopefully things even out and I can get back on track.
  • niblue
    Options
    I'm at 720 miles against my target of 2017, so might need to increase it a bit.
  • mph323
    Options
    I finished training ride #3 for the Cinderella (April 8). I'm getting a very slow start due to rain, but on the plus side I started working out on my trainer and am learning how to put in the kind of effort that makes a difference when actually riding.

I signed up for my next metric April 30 - Chico Wildflower Classic, about 2350 feet of climbing.

Yay for everyone barely into the new year and having to up their goals already!
  • Theo_Mellis
    Theo_Mellis Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I'm at 1409 as of this morning.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    So how many people have an elevation gain goal for the year?
  • mph323
    Options
    Well I have a goal for the events I'm riding not necessarily a single one for the year. By September I plan to be able to ride a full century with about 6500 feet of climbing (so I can ride some of the routes I used to love years ago before life happened). My Cinderella event at the beginning of the month got rained out but I'm doing the Wildflower event in Chico CA this weekend (2300 ft, 60 miles), and hope to do the Giro Bella as a full century at the end of June (5100 ft). :)
  • wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    1580 miles and 81260ft so far, aiming for 3500miles and 175000ft @NorthCascades
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1,610 miles and 35,981 feet of climbing for 2017 so far. A lot of the climbing is virtual (via Zwift) and I live in a relatively flat area so I don't really concern myself with climbing much. I think my mileage goal, such that it is, is about 6,000 miles.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I haven't done much cycling at all this year. I'm only at 555 miles and 35,058 feet of vert.

But if you throw in skiing (Nordic), it's another 203 miles and 24,723 feet of uphill since Jan 1.

I don't have a specific goal for either metric. I just want to spend time enjoying the outdoors and improve my fitness.

I live in a hilly city surrounded by a lot of mountains. It's pretty hard to find much flat out here. Beth and I made a trip to the other side of the Cascades and saw some wide open flat areas where the sky stretched out from horizon to horizon, it was a sight to behold!
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't actually have a total mileage goal for the year, but I do have a specific one day mileage goal. I want to ride the century before the year is out. I know I *can* do it, it's just going to take some work, especially since I'm currently topping out between 30mi and 40mi.

I'm looking to add about 20mi/month, starting in May, until I hit that century ride. And probably upgrade my bike, too. Doing it on a Trek Dualsport looks to be more than a little difficult.
  • mph323
    Options
    I just checked Strava - 358 miles and 10,202 ft. That doesn't include work on the trainer, which I think would count as flat miles so the mileage and elevation would be more balanced. Longest rides so far are around 40 miles but I'll start pushing that up this weekend.

@pedermj2002 it looks like we have similar goals :) Do you plan to do your century as an organized ride or solo?
  • pedermj2002
    pedermj2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm amenable to either. I haven't come across many people who are looking to do the same thing in my area, so I expect it to be a solo day. Though I just had a thought: What if it were done as an virtual group? Everybody gets out and rides as close to the same mileage as possible at as close to the same time as possible. Could even use livetrack to let people at home watch all of the group as a group. Might be worth pursuing.
  • mph323
    Options
    Oh fun! Do pursue that if you get a chance and keep us posted! We could all end up in our local bar and grill hashing over the event on-line :)