Supplement (Sodium/Potassium/Magnesium) Intake on Keto. How much?

Options
Eclipse_Love
Eclipse_Love Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
Hello all,
I just got started on Keto yesterday and been reading all about the supplements, but I have no idea how much to take of each? I'm 5'3", 127 lbs with 17% BF. I do cross training about 6 times a week for 1 hour (weight lifting/cardio combos), my trainer said I should be eating 105 g of protein per day to maintain muscle (1gr/lb LM). I reduced my carb intake to 15g and I eat fat for the rest (Total 1180 Cal).

I'm on day 2, feel weak as hell, but my mind is racing, and had trouble sleeping last night (had to pop a Clonidin to sleep)

Based on the info above, how much should i be taking for Sodium, Potassium and Magnesium? I've read 5g Sodium from salt, 400mg Magnesium Citrate, 1000mg Potasium. Would this be accurate for someone my size?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    For the average day, for the average person, that is likely plenty.

Since you're so active you might need to supplement a bit further on the days you work out after you work out especially since sweating and being active is lowering electrolytes for you as well.

I tended to add salt to my water for a long time (half tsp) after work outs, but found these did a pretty effective job too without the hassle of loose salt. https://www.amazon.com/New-Nuun-Energy-Hydrating-Electrolyte/dp/B018NZJFEK (easy to carry a bunch in gym bag and the flavors aren't bad and nice change.)

Daily recommendation between diet and other sources is 2000mg for potassium, 400mg magnesium (be careful not to over supplement this, it can be harmful), 1500mg for sodium, 1200mg for calcium. You're likely hitting sodium unless you're consciously trying to exclude salt.
  • Eclipse_Love
    Eclipse_Love Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! Really appreciate the info. I'll track this along with the food I'm eating.

Day 4, I'm already feeling better, thankfully. Still weak on the weight lifting but great energy on the cardio portion.

I'll try the tablets. Thanks again!!!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    shadus wrote: »
    Daily recommendation between diet and other sources is 2000mg for potassium, 400mg magnesium (be careful not to over supplement this, it can be harmful), 1500mg for sodium, 1200mg for calcium. You're likely hitting sodium unless you're consciously trying to exclude salt.

What about magnesium can be harmful? What would be some of the harmful effects?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    shadus wrote: »

What about magnesium can be harmful? What would be some of the harmful effects?

Too much magnesium will give you diarrhea.
    Too much potassium is deadly. I think the warning is mixed up.
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I was worried for a second. I have been taking higher doses of magnesium citrate for regularity. It was recommended to me by my doctor and it works for me so I was curious about the "harmful" comment.