Unwelcome Comments

Options

Replies

• almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My mom (who only had 1 pregnancy) made the comment about how big I was this time and how its not going to be another 6 pounds baby ... umm... I tried to explain how subsequent pregnancies tend to show earlier and larger due to muscles being stretched and blah blah blah... she still makes the occasional comment. -_-

Oh man my mom is the worst for comments, I almost don't want to go home for Easter. (When I will be like 38 weeks?) All I hear about is how tiny she was for her pregnancies (which is revisionist history) and guilt trips as I have banned them from visiting until one month after the baby has born (they live far away and stress me out and don't pitch in).
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    @almostsuperpowered I'm sorry to hear that about your parents. My mom is super supportive (to the point where its almost annoying), and I'm sure she doesn't mean her comments to sound they way they do... but damn.

One I thought of the other day wasn't exactly about me. This was a little over a year ago, when my friend was pregnant with her 4th. The custodian at our company was talking to me and was like "man, I thought you were big when you were pregnant, but *insert friend's name here* is really big". I think I responded with a blank stare and no words. Like excuse me!? Thanks for calling me a whale... and my friend a whale - its her 4th kid dude! Some people just need to think before they talk - most people do.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    @almostsuperpowered I'm sorry to hear that about your parents. My mom is super supportive (to the point where its almost annoying), and I'm sure she doesn't mean her comments to sound they way they do... but damn.

One I thought of the other day wasn't exactly about me. This was a little over a year ago, when my friend was pregnant with her 4th. The custodian at our company was talking to me and was like "man, I thought you were big when you were pregnant, but *insert friend's name here* is really big". I think I responded with a blank stare and no words. Like excuse me!? Thanks for calling me a whale... and my friend a whale - its her 4th kid dude! Some people just need to think before they talk - most people do.

Men like that should never be blessed with a wife and children! Grr.
  • goldengirljake
    goldengirljake Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My mom (who only had 1 pregnancy) made the comment about how big I was this time and how its not going to be another 6 pounds baby ... umm... I tried to explain how subsequent pregnancies tend to show earlier and larger due to muscles being stretched and blah blah blah... she still makes the occasional comment. -_-

Oh man my mom is the worst for comments, I almost don't want to go home for Easter. (When I will be like 38 weeks?) All I hear about is how tiny she was for her pregnancies (which is revisionist history) and guilt trips as I have banned them from visiting until one month after the baby has born (they live far away and stress me out and don't pitch in).

My mom is bad too, she's always been a "hater" when it comes to being overweight. She sent me to a weight loss clinic when I was 15 yrs old when I weighed 121 lbs (I am 5'6") ......she's always commented negatively on my weight, as if that's what defines a person (she says stuff like I am big boned....and other things like "Oh I saw so and so - she's so beautiful and she's so thin!" All her friends are the same. I am a physically active girl and I have curves and yes I carry about 15 lbs extra weight which I work on. She said she starved herself in all her pregnancies (in the 50's and 60's I guess that was doctors advice) Like you @almostsuperpowered (although I am only 26 weeks) I love my parents, but, I will be skipping Easter at hers LOL I don't need the shaming! I can't imagine my 3rd Tri when I get bigger - I won't be visiting her then either! I just don't want the anxiety.
  • VeryKatie
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Passed someone at work in the hallway and they said hi to me by saying "Hey big mama" and I said "Hey" - because I respond to anything apparently. And then I was thinking... "Wow... that's a risky way to address a pregnant woman...". Like... what if I found that offensive? She essentially commented on my body...

But then I think I'm thinking about it too hard LOL and I shall move on.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    its weird once people find out, and they start calling you momma, I don't really think of myself as a mom yet, I guess because its not like I have to do any actual parenting at this stage. and its not like we go around referring to people we know have children as moms and dads. seems odd that people do it during pregnancy.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    Actually yes! It bugged me more that she called me mama than it did that she called me big. I'm not HER mama so why is is calling me that? It's weird lol.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    yeah, just a way for them to show their excitement for you. its definitely weird the first couple times, but I am getting used to it
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    32 weeks - today someone finally acknowledged that I'm pregnant. I've been feeling fat instead of pregnant, so that was nice. It was also with me wearing my first maternity shirt of this pregnancy lol.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    my friends daughter said my butt doubled in size after my SO had just gotten done telling me my butt was the same. :( i'm sure it has doubled it just hurts to hear.
  • VeryKatie
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Someone mentioned to me yesterday that I'm not carrying much to the front. And it made me think "... so I'm getting wide?" Stop commenting on my body, people. I was already feeling fat yesterday for one of the first times during this pregnancy, I didn't need that little cherry on top.
  • wantoldme
    wantoldme Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Someone mentioned to me yesterday that I'm not carrying much to the front. And it made me think "... so I'm getting wide?" Stop commenting on my body, people. I was already feeling fat yesterday for one of the first times during this pregnancy, I didn't need that little cherry on top.

I would feel the same way you do. I would wonder what they meant by that. However I truly think she meant it as a compliment that you haven't gained much weight. Regardless it's annoying when people comment on your body. Girl, you're doing an amazing job with your weight gain.
  • VeryKatie
    Options
    @wantoldme haha well it didn't help that I had happened to notice that day that I've lost all discernible shape from the back. I am now a box.
  • wantoldme
    wantoldme Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    @wantoldme haha well it didn't help that I had happened to notice that day that I've lost all discernible shape from the back. I am now a box.

That's my fear. I'm also very petite so I would look like a short box.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    Has anyone else been asked if it's a planned pregnancy? Not going to lie, I was totally blind sided by this one. I have been asked by 2 different people and it seemed really odd. I am 29 and have been married 3 years so I feel like we are kind of the standard "ready to start a family" story. Both times it was by much older men whom I really like talking to, they arent jerks or anything. Maybe I just seem very young to them since they have 25 or 35 years on me.
  • sorbito84
    sorbito84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I got asked if I was in touch with the father (he's my husband) by someone I had just met... I mean, what kind of a question is that??
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options
    sorbito84 wrote: »
    I got asked if I was in touch with the father (he's my husband) by someone I had just met... I mean, what kind of a question is that??

That is weird. Did you say that? Curious what their reaction was?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Someone at work asked me how much I gained. Someone else from work asked if I was pregnant! I'm 35 weeks lmao
  • sorbito84
    sorbito84 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I just said 'Erm, yeah, he's my husband' and he said 'oh, cool'
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    Options

I just said 'Erm, yeah, he's my husband' and he said 'oh, cool'

haha, maybe he was thinking about hitting on you if not :wink:

I remember an old friends episode where joey said something along the lines of "The best part of sleeping with a pregnant woman is you can't accidentally get her pregnant" Maybe there really are some men who think along those lines :smiley: