Dairy and joint pain?

mjj79
mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
Anyone here find dairy causes increased joint pain. (I have two autoimmune diseases that cause joint pain, but have sudden bad flare this week.) Ive def increased my dairy this week...I don't know how I'd do this WOE without dairy :/

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I have a couple autoimmune diseases too and did an elimination diet, but found out that my body is ok with pre-digested dairy like yogourt or cheese, and also butter or ghee (fat not protein or lactose). It's not so happy with regular milk or cream, etc. Did you notice a specific type of dairy food that bothers you? Is it mainly cow or other animal dairy too, like sheep (true Romano Cheese) or goat (Chevre cheese)?
    @mjj79
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    I'm m not sure. For weeks the main dairy I had was half and half in my coffee. This week I've had a lot of cheese...cream, cheddar, Parmesan...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Aged cheeses are quite high in histamines usually... perhaps you have a histamine intolerance if the cream didn't seem to bother you. I know one of our other members who hasn't posted for a while had quite a problem with this. Might be something to look into if you seem to be having random events that are difficult to tie into your dairy consumption.
    starting points for info: diagnosisdiet.com/histamine-intolerance/
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Funny you mention this. I used to have joint and foot pain really bad. It's what prompted me to come back to LCHF just recently back to full on Keto. I had a cheese dip mixed with sour cream and cream cheese about 5 hours ago and it hit me like a ton of bricks. It's awful. I can seem to tolerate small doses of hard cheddar cheese and butter seems to be ok but I can't go near any kind of creamy dairy. Today was a mistake and confirmed that I can't do it even just from time to time. I have no problems avoiding it altogether and still staying in ketosis.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    The only dairy I use is butter & occasionally Parmesan as all other products give me an annoying cough. I miss it but haven't had any trouble finding tasty dairy-free Keto foods. I hope you can figure out what works for you!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I do not drink milk but will do cream and products from the cream of milk without joint pain. Now eating beef will through my joints into a tail spin.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    mjj79 wrote: »
    I'm m not sure. For weeks the main dairy I had was half and half in my coffee. This week I've had a lot of cheese...cream, cheddar, Parmesan...

Cream cheese has a lot of additives and stabilizers, many of which flare my autoimmune disorders. I do better substituting a soft goat cheese instead. The natamycin (anti-mold agent) and cellulose (often sawdust or corn-based, in pre-shredded cheese to keep it from clumping) also can flare my autoimmunity, too.

I also did an elimination diet (the Paleo autoimmune protocol) and found that I'm fine with dairy fats and yogurt and ok with most cheeses, but the dairy proteins in milk are too much for me. The additives and stabilizers are more of an issue for me.