Goals Revisited: May

Options
Mjtckwnow
Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
As we approach our final month, this is a good time to take stock and come up with new or affirm commitment to existing goals.

What's working that you will continue this month?

Do you have any new plans to incorporate this month?

Let's finish strong!

Replies

• Mjtckwnow
    Options
    What's working: Exercise
    I've hit every scheduled workout these past 2 months and completed both monthly challenges
    For May, I'll continue running 4 x week and will complete JM's 30 Day Shred

What needs improvement: Diet
    I've been hit or miss with my diet
    For May, I plan on a vegetarian diet, limit alcohol to 1 day week, limit sugar/artificial sweeteners/processed foods. Will log daily.
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What's working: My diet. I've been focusing on more protein and less processed carbs. It helps that for the first time in our 32 years together hubby is watching also.

What needs improvement: I'm too focused on the scale. I need to take my measurements and use that as a guide also.

New goal: I want to sign up and do a 5k at least once a month, maybe twice. I find that running makes me proud of myself. I was NEVER an athlete when I was young so doing this at 50 is big.

• Mjtckwnow
    Options

New goal: I want to sign up and do a 5k at least once a month, maybe twice. I find that running makes me proud of myself. I was NEVER an athlete when I was young so doing this at 50 is big.

Do you have a local running club? My club has a "low key" race series and they are free to race with a yearly membership ($20). They usually have a race a month and you can just show up without registering which make it super easy to fit in monthly races.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I am planning on some tweaks to both diet and exercise to get closer to my goal (don't think I can safely hit it until I am carrying around a bunch of excess water weight I don't know about).
    Exercise:
    I have been focusing on cardio like running and walking as I try to shed the lbs and have been very consistent at 6+ days per week. Now that I am less than 15lbs from my goal weight I need to add in some more weights and cross training to recomp as I lose the fat.
    I am going to do 30 day shred at least 2 and hopefully 3 times per week followed by a quick run/walk to get my 45+ minutes in. Every Wednesday I want to do my "hump day" workout I started last week and eventually get to the point where I add weights to the squat and lunge moves.
    I want to keep up with the running so will continue to do that with a focus on outdoor running on the weekends - want to do the 3.1 at least once a week. I also need to work on flexibility so want to do my 20 minute Pilates DVD 3 times per week in the evenings as part of my wind down on non-hockey nights.

Diet:
    I find that I am consuming more added sugars than I like. I cut them out completely for a couple of weeks and that really helped readjust my sweet sensors and eliminate a lot of the cravings. For the first 3 weeks of May I want to cut my added sugars in half - limiting them to what is in the Chobani Simply 100 Crunch bowls, Lindt 70% dark chocolate squares, and my protein powders (only about 1g of sugar there so I'm not that fussed about it). For the week leading up to Memorial Day weekend (May 21-26) I will be cutting out all added sugars and focusing on nutrient dense foods to support extra intense exercise leading up to my bikini debut.
  • dbackgrammy
    dbackgrammy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    My goals have not changed, but my focus must change.
    Exercise has worked and I am feeling stronger and happily more active. I will continue to work the challenges and stay active. My diet need SERIOUS improvement. This final month I will focus more on my diet and make that my primary goal.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Initial Commitment:

I started this challenge around 144 lbs and I am now around 141/142. As you can see I have not loss much weight :( . In fact over the last few months I have loss and gained repeatedly. I DEFINITELY know this is due to inconsistency in both my diet AND exercise. I'm a bit of a scatter brain....ok I am A LOT of a scatter brain(I used to call it multitasking but I'm willing to be honest at this point) When I start something I figure I have to add and pile on more responsibility in order to feel successful....WELL NO MORE! (I'm getting older....is 34 old???..hmmmmm...I actually think it's being a mom thats aging me :s ) Anyway, some days I have eaten within 1600 calories and some I haven't; some weeks I workout 4/5/6 times a week and some weeks once or twice. Clearly this isn't working. My commitment to myself was to drop from 144 to 135 and sculpt my body in the process and since I am at 141 thats SIX LBS TO GO...and I believe I can do it :#!!!!!!

Whats Working:

Now since I have beaten myself up, time for a pat on the back. This past week I only worked out three days and loss weight. This showed me that basically I don't have to kill myself on a daily basis to make my goals happen and that when I do workout I need to push myself as hard as I can. As for food these last two months, I know what works. A cup or two of popcorn works, not the gigantic bag from Sam's Club that I bring in the bed with me late at night while I catch up on my DVR :o LOL! Bottom line, I know what food I need to eat so I just need to do it. I found adding fresh fruit as snacks works, replacing a meal with a protein shake works, and eating protein at EVERY meal works as well.

New Plans: My goals this month are.....

-Run/Walk on MWF....so 3x/week (I will give myself permission to deviate from these exact days as long as I meet the 3x/week)
    -Complete JM 30 day shred...I would like to complete them daily however I want to be realistic and give myself a rest day (it doesn't mean I'm a failure...I have to keep telling myself that)
    -T25 on TR

My weeks then should look like this:

MWF
    Rn/Wlk
    30DS

TR
    T25
    30DS

Sat
    30DS

Sun
    R&R

Additionally I have competed in a few workweek challenges with my Fitbit and my daily steps have been "through the roof"....the running is contributing to these numbers as well.

I am eager to begin my 30 day journey today along with you ladies and I am grateful for having met all of you. Let the goal crushing begin :+1:
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    I am planning on some tweaks to both diet and exercise to get closer to my goal (don't think I can safely hit it until I am carrying around a bunch of excess water weight I don't know about).
    Exercise:
    I have been focusing on cardio like running and walking as I try to shed the lbs and have been very consistent at 6+ days per week. Now that I am less than 15lbs from my goal weight I need to add in some more weights and cross training to recomp as I lose the fat.
    I am going to do 30 day shred at least 2 and hopefully 3 times per week followed by a quick run/walk to get my 45+ minutes in. Every Wednesday I want to do my "hump day" workout I started last week and eventually get to the point where I add weights to the squat and lunge moves.
    I want to keep up with the running so will continue to do that with a focus on outdoor running on the weekends - want to do the 3.1 at least once a week. I also need to work on flexibility so want to do my 20 minute Pilates DVD 3 times per week in the evenings as part of my wind down on non-hockey nights.

Diet:
    I find that I am consuming more added sugars than I like. I cut them out completely for a couple of weeks and that really helped readjust my sweet sensors and eliminate a lot of the cravings. For the first 3 weeks of May I want to cut my added sugars in half - limiting them to what is in the Chobani Simply 100 Crunch bowls, Lindt 70% dark chocolate squares, and my protein powders (only about 1g of sugar there so I'm not that fussed about it). For the week leading up to Memorial Day weekend (May 21-26) I will be cutting out all added sugars and focusing on nutrient dense foods to support extra intense exercise leading up to my bikini debut.

How do you "cut out added sugars"? What do you eat then? How do you decipher what not to eat? I only have the basic knowledge that most food items have sugar...this is why I am asking.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Mjtckwnow wrote: »
    What's working: Exercise
    I've hit every scheduled workout these past 2 months and completed both monthly challenges
    For May, I'll continue running 4 x week and will complete JM's 30 Day Shred

What needs improvement: Diet
    I've been hit or miss with my diet
    For May, I plan on a vegetarian diet, limit alcohol to 1 day week, limit sugar/artificial sweeteners/processed foods. Will log daily.

You WILL see results as a vegetarian. I did it for 18 months after my son was born...around 3/4 years ago. I loss weight and I felt great :)
  • camoballerina91
    camoballerina91 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    What's working that you will continue this month?
    Logging daily and exercising.
    I find that if I log everyday and am as truthful as possible with my logging, and workout at least 1 hr. (total per week) my weigh loss is pretty consistent.

Do you have any new plans to incorporate this month?
    I found a yoga app that looks promising, so I'm going to start incorporating it into my rest/lower calorie days 2x a week.

I just need to focus on logging consistently everyday and sticking to my workout schedule as best as possible. I allow myself to slack on what I log and whether I exercise or not too much. I am my only obstacle in my journey, it's me against me, and I am determined to reach my goals.

"When obstacles arise, you change your direction to reach your goal, you do not change your decision to get there." ~ Zig Ziglar
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    @SmithsonianEmpress , Jessica, reading your comments, I swear you are writing about me when it comes to the dieting and food portion. I'm with you...these next 30 days, we will kick it into gear. You are going to be my daily inspiration to eat properly and not eat that big bag of popcorn while watch the DVR. You, Trinity and Barb keep me motivated and hoping to move forward. Let's make these next 30 days our best!!!
  • shangrilamama
    shangrilamama Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Mjtckwnow wrote: »

Do you have a local running club? My club has a "low key" race series and they are free to race with a yearly membership ($20). They usually have a race a month and you can just show up without registering which make it super easy to fit in monthly races.

No, I literally live in the middle of the woods. My closest small town is a 25 minute drive. I LOVE where we live I've just had to learn to live without some amenities. I'll do a search and find some within a decent drive time. We're already signed up for a Dirty Dog Dash in June and the Warrior Dash (again this year) in July. I think the town I work in has one when they have their annual festival. Maybe I can get my employer to sponsor me so that it's free. :)
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    Options

How do you "cut out added sugars"? What do you eat then? How do you decipher what not to eat? I only have the basic knowledge that most food items have sugar...this is why I am asking.

First there is a difference between naturally occurring sugar in fruit, veg, and dairy and added sugars used to sweeten food. In theory the food labels should tell you how much there is of each. Beginning in 2017 all new food labels are supposed to show total sugar and below that added sugars. If the added sugar line is not zero, I don't eat it. If the food item has sugar but doesn't have that added sugar line, I don't eat it.

As for what I eat, all fruits and vegetables, meat and cheese, plain yogurt and unsweetened almond or coconut milk, nuts, and anything where the food label has zero sugar. Ezekiel bread, triscuits, hummus, boom chicks pop, RX bars, and Larabars all have no added sugar. I allow raw honey and maple syrup in limited quantities.

I will see if I can find an example of the new food label and upload it here.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    Options
    Well that didn't format right...
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Challenge Goal, overall remains the same.

April was a tough month for me. Two knee blow outs- one from a run in with my pup and one from the uneven backyard. That has meant my exercise was super limited. Really let that get to me and was not very good at logging. Went back to work at a temporary job after being off for six months, my inner focus got a bit derailed.

What worked:
    • Even without logging, I remained conscious of what I was eating. Definitely making better diet choices
    • Water is getting much higher, due to the much warmer weather. Will make sure I am focusing on this and not other beverages

What I am going to do in March:
    • Log EVERY day and pre-log as much as possible. Breakfast is fairly standard, dinner planned at least the night before. NO EXCUSES this time
    • Back to exercise a minimum of three times per week, with modifications for the knee
    • Watch the sugar in some of the other things I am drinking (hello Vitamin water!)

Last month is here, and I know we have got this.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options

First there is a difference between naturally occurring sugar in fruit, veg, and dairy and added sugars used to sweeten food. In theory the food labels should tell you how much there is of each. Beginning in 2017 all new food labels are supposed to show total sugar and below that added sugars. If the added sugar line is not zero, I don't eat it. If the food item has sugar but doesn't have that added sugar line, I don't eat it.

As for what I eat, all fruits and vegetables, meat and cheese, plain yogurt and unsweetened almond or coconut milk, nuts, and anything where the food label has zero sugar. Ezekiel bread, triscuits, hummus, boom chicks pop, RX bars, and Larabars all have no added sugar. I allow raw honey and maple syrup in limited quantities.

I will see if I can find an example of the new food label and upload it here.

Ok, I see where in lies the problem for me. I do eat all the above mentioned foods, however...and maybe a lot of you guys don't eat like me, but I also eat rice and gravy, gumbo, beans and rice, pastas...basically meals with tons of ingredients. This is why I was confused about the sugar. I am thinking, for example, last week I cooked pinto beans and rice with turkey and andouille sausage. I am guessing this has no added sugar, I am not sure, but I do eat actual meals not just "snack" foods. Also, I never have even thought to watch my sugar intake because almost daily I have dizzy spells where my sugar gets low and I need to eat but it is something to think about.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    Options
    @SmithsonianEmpress
    Added sugar was an issue for me because I was eating LOADS of it. Not only in sweetened things but candy and cookies etc...
    Once I cut it all out for a couple weeks things that were not very sweet tasted really sweet and the things I used to eat were almost unappetizing. I am finding that as I introduce some of that stuff back into my diet even in small quantities I want more and more and the stuff that was satisfactory last month now isn't sweet enough.
    Sugar is kind of my kryptonite so in order to stay successful I need to cut these out so the berries and yogurts and good dark chocolate are Enough for me again.
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    @SmithsonianEmpress
    Added sugar was an issue for me because I was eating LOADS of it. Not only in sweetened things but candy and cookies etc...
    Once I cut it all out for a couple weeks things that were not very sweet tasted really sweet and the things I used to eat were almost unappetizing. I am finding that as I introduce some of that stuff back into my diet even in small quantities I want more and more and the stuff that was satisfactory last month now isn't sweet enough.
    Sugar is kind of my kryptonite so in order to stay successful I need to cut these out so the berries and yogurts and good dark chocolate are Enough for me again.

Barb- I love reading your posts. Your struggles are my struggles and I feel like I'm not in this alone. You are doing so well. Keep up the good work.
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I get scared to fess up my shortcomings sometime but then I read through this group and see that we're all in this together and I'm so grateful for the accountability you guys bring. I was just thinking about this group and how I could come back from the past month of chaos. I got a job at a residential program for at risk boys so I will finally be in a routine after he first week stress is done!
    Thank you ladies!

What has worked: I have logged for 115 days now even when the day isn't completed or I'm over by a gazillion calories, I did it!

Goals for May:
    Now that I'm in a routine I'm going to be tightening my daily calorie goals and focusing on nutritionally dense foods.

I want to establish a consistent exercise routine that I can manage with my shift work now.

I need to have self care as the new job is super intense and I don't want to cope with eating.

Consistency!!!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Zulu87 wrote: »
    I get scared to fess up my shortcomings sometime but then I read through this group and see that we're all in this together and I'm so grateful for the accountability you guys bring. I was just thinking about this group and how I could come back from the past month of chaos. I got a job at a residential program for at risk boys so I will finally be in a routine after he first week stress is done!
    Thank you ladies!

What has worked: I have logged for 115 days now even when the day isn't completed or I'm over by a gazillion calories, I did it!

Goals for May:
    Now that I'm in a routine I'm going to be tightening my daily calorie goals and focusing on nutritionally dense foods.

I want to establish a consistent exercise routine that I can manage with my shift work now.

I need to have self care as the new job is super intense and I don't want to cope with eating.

Consistency!!!

You can do it! Congrats on the job and good luck
  • Mjtckwnow
    Options
    @Zulu87 you have been in transition throughout this challenge which makes things super difficult but you have continued to show up AND that's important! Now that you are able to settle into a more regular routine, I have every faith that you will accomplish your goals!
This discussion has been closed.