5/1 Monday Day 1 SLBC

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
k4u6qv1n8c0u.jpg

Welcome to Sit Less Boot Camp! We are glad that you decided to join us in May for 21 days of sitting less and moving more. Over the next 3 weeks we'll give you lots of ideas and resources to sit less and move more. Some of the daily challenges will be more appropriate for some folks than others, but we think there will be something for everyone. If you've participated in Sit Less Boot Camp before, welcome back!

We won't generally have a formal challenge during the weekends, but we’ll still be up and moving and we will have some supplemental readings for those who want to “dive deeper” in their understanding of how excessive sitting impacts their health.

I’m Denise (themedalist; a long-time MFP member) and I’ve created the website, Quitting the Sitting (http://quittingthesitting.org), that we will be using for our first 3 daily challenges. The cool thing about Quitting the Sitting is that it was inspired by a group of MFP friends who are profiled on the Movers and Shakers page (http://www.quittingthesitting.org/movers--shakers.html). People who used to sit a lot who have made good progress in sitting less and moving more and are really happy they've become more active. If they did it, we can too!

Our main goal for this month is to help you find one way to sit less -- something you will want to stick with long after the Boot Camp is over. Something that's easy for you to do that you'll keep doing. You may find several ways to sit less and move more and that's great, but identifying one thing to begin with is a great place to start (more on that soon).

Welcome to Sit Less Boot Camp!!

Theme: What's the Problem with Sitting Too Much?

Today's Challenge: What's the problem with sitting so much? Our first daily challenge explores this topic, so please spend a few minutes checking out the resources here: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/sitting-disease.html

And why not stand up while you read it?

Replies

• foomsy
    foomsy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Some useful hints. Reading whilst standing on phone✔️
  • SilverSheWolf55
    SilverSheWolf55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Very useful graft. Printed it out so I can see it everyday. I am looking forward to this challenge! Happy May 1st. Everyone! B)
  • debk0718
    debk0718 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to the challenge. Very good tips to start. Good luck to everyone! :)
  • pcrcs06
    pcrcs06 Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Read it on my phone, while standing, as sugested. To me is difficult stand still, so i took some steps as i read :-)
  • TKlepac
    TKlepac Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Glad to be part of the boot camp on Sit Less. Fortunate my work provides me with a standing desk.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the decluttering suggestion. I may have a slight addiction to decluttering ...
  • themedalist
    Options
    pcrcs06 wrote: »
    Read it on my phone, while standing, as sugested. To me is difficult stand still, so i took some steps as i read :-)

I'm the same way @pcrcs06. I'm much more comfortable pacing while talking on the phone or fidgeting (rocking back and forth) while standing up doing something. Standing by itself for long periods of time isn't that comfortable.

Whenever possible throughout your day, try to alternate between sitting, standing, and moving. Sit-Stand-Move. Sit-Stand-Move. Ask yourself, "Can I do this activity while standing up? Better yet, can I do it while walking?" Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. My goal has been over time to shift as many of my seated activities as I can to a better alternative.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I LOVE the decluttering suggestion. I may have a slight addiction to decluttering ...

@LuckyNumbers, then you will LOVE our challenge this Friday!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I always feel a little bad about starting Boot Camp with a "downer" challenge and an overview of the terrible health impacts from too much sitting. But I want people to understand how serious excessive sitting is and that sitting less is one of the best things you can do for your health.

The good news is there are all kinds of ways to sit less. (a lot more on that tomorrow). Regarding sitting, two things matter: 1) the total amount of sitting you do throughout the day and 2) How often you break up your sitting by standing up or moving around even briefly. Aim to stand up and/or move around briefly every 30 minutes or so. "Interrupting" your sitting every 30-40 minutes has a big impact on your body.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,082 Member
    Options
    Great site - the resources and information are helpful. Thanks!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    The video by Dr. Levine is excellent!
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you! I really enjoyed the site and the videos (and I watched and read while standing at the kitchen counter). Lots of information to think about.

This is all perfect timing for me as I'm trying to get back into shape and move more and be a good example for my young children.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,112 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to siting less and moving more. Thanks for the information.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    I'm in!
  • 3magnants
    3magnants Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in as well!!!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Dr. Levine's video was good. I listened to him while doing a few sets of squats.
  • tambam72
    tambam72 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would like to join, is it too late?
  • yasudarshan
    yasudarshan Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    did all my ironing today which was a stand-up activity
  • themedalist
    Options
    tambam72 wrote: »
    I would like to join, is it too late?

Not too late at all, @tambam72 We just started today. Since you can read and comment on the Boot Camp posts, effectively you have "joined" and are good to go. The daily challenge threads will be posted usually by 8:00AM Eastern US time.

Welcome!