Cholesterol on Keto

Options
earascon
earascon Posts: 6 Member
I have noticed that my cholesterol totals for each day are pretty high. 425 - 730. Is this the norm for keto? Should I be concerned? I have never head high cholesterol but havent had it checked recently. But looking at these numbers I am concerned.

Replies

• Digiducky
    Digiducky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I took training in Holistic Nutritional Therapy a few year back. What I learned and have believed to be true for many years is cholesterol is not "bad". Cholesterol is needed to make hormones which are important for MANY functions of the body. Cholesterol repairs nicks in your blood vessels/arteries which are caused by free radicals/damaged fats. The problem arising from too much stress which causes inflammation, which creates free radicals, which nicks the artery, which makes the cholesterol lay down....Do this constantly from too much stress and you will get a plaque build up. SO my point is, don't be afraid of cholesterol, its your friend. But be mindful to take care of your self so you don't get other issues in your body. Good luck!
  • psychedmom
    psychedmom Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Digiducky wrote: »
    I took training in Holistic Nutritional Therapy a few year back. What I learned and have believed to be true for many years is cholesterol is not "bad". Cholesterol is needed to make hormones which are important for MANY functions of the body. Cholesterol repairs nicks in your blood vessels/arteries which are caused by free radicals/damaged fats. The problem arising from too much stress which causes inflammation, which creates free radicals, which nicks the artery, which makes the cholesterol lay down....Do this constantly from too much stress and you will get a plaque build up. SO my point is, don't be afraid of cholesterol, its your friend. But be mindful to take care of your self so you don't get other issues in your body. Good luck!

I am sorry but this is bad advice. Yes, your body needs cholesterol to function. But to say ridiculously high cholesterol is not dangerous for the posters health is just wrong. OP, yes unfortunately I think you should be concerned and adjust your diet with aide of physician and licensed nutrtionist.
  • psychedmom
    psychedmom Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ok, misunderstood, your original post. I thought you got your cholesterol results back and it was 425. Daily consumption less bad than your actual test results, however consuming this much will still have an impact on that too. Concentrate on diet with less animal fats which increase risk of heart disease/stroke. Diet should have fats like olive oils, nuts, avocado, ect.
  • trying2day
    trying2day Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The only main thing I worry about on my Keto diet is keeping my carbs below 20 grams a day. :)
  • jmtfirewife
    jmtfirewife Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Your body can use 2 main things as energy, fat and sugars (protein provides a minimal amount of your energy 5-10% average). When you cut your carbs low you need to increase your fats to give your body and brain energy. You don't want to overdo it, but without anyone knowing your weight, macros and such it's hard to say if that is a concern. Use a keto calculator then you have a better idea of how much fat a day you need to lose, gain or maintain. If you cut carbs your body is using the fats your eating for energy and not storing them. Be sure to drink plenty of water also.
  • ToxDocAR
    ToxDocAR Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have had borderline high cholesterol since age 18 (200-260 range). I can assure you, when I eat carbohydrates and fast-food, that is when I have the higher levels. Every time I have eaten low carb for the few months before bloodwork, my cholesterol is 150, with LDL, HDL, and triglycerides all in excellent range!
  • RebelMom14
    RebelMom14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you I have been wondering this. My cholesterol has been borderline for years and keto is the only way of living that actually makes me feel better but haven't had my blood work done since.
  • ESinc1118
    ESinc1118 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My triglycerides are at 59 as of a few weeks ago, HDL at 92. Total cholesterol was right at 200, but I've read that this isn't a good measure anymore, and that keeping your triglyceride to HDL ratio under 1.0 is the best measure to look at (in which case, I'm great at .64).
  • CrazyCarbContessa
    CrazyCarbContessa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Cholesterol doesnt affect body cholesterol levels just like fat doesn't make you fat. Check out Dr. BERG on Youtube. He has tons of videos on keto, cholesterol, ratios, meal plans, body types, benefits of keto.