Another editorial saying saturated fat is not bad

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
Its been all over our news about saturated fats being fine for you and people just not being able to let go of that idea.
http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/colby-cosh-the-ghost-of-a-notion-can-we-abandon-old-ideas-about-dietary-fat

LCHF is the way to go...

Actual editorial:
http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2017/03/31/bjsports-2016-097285

Replies

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Like everything, it's not true for everyone. Having butter in my coffee and eating bacon has sent my cholesterol sky high when I had no issues before. I say take this stuff as interesting but be careful nonetheless.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Like everything, it's not true for everyone. Having butter in my coffee and eating bacon has sent my cholesterol sky high when I had no issues before. I say take this stuff as interesting but be careful nonetheless.

I think it is important you read this because it is NOT stating there is no connection between diet and cholesterol levels, although there is less than what was claimed for most people. The really big part is that higher cholesterol is NOT a good marker for disease. In fact, this study along with a few others, is showing that low cholesterol is more strongly associated not only with total mortality, but with coronary death.
    In the Minnesota study, replacement of saturated fats with corn oil led, again, to reductions in total cholesterol. This finding was touted at major conferences, and it became one of the key moments in the creation of the classic diet-heart myth. This time nobody but the guy who wrote the thesis even noticed that the patients in the corn oil group were, overall, dying a little faster. The 2016 re-analysis uncovered a dose-response relationship: the more the patients’ total cholesterol decreased, the faster they died.

Another more recent study posted by the NIH:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2674557/

This chart from the study shows the best predictor of coronary issues is HDL level where higher is better:

• cstehansen
    Options
    doubxqn8g88p.jpg

chart didn't want to add to last post
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Its a very very interesting and informative study of swedish people. Made me feel good about aging!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

@EbonyDahlia mine cholesterol did the same thing but that is NORMAL for some of us. I just stayed with LCHF and told the doctor I was going to be fine. Next year I was down below the level where they start statins.

I do no if your cholesterol would have stabilize or not however.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    IMO, I don't believe substituting olive/avocado/cold water fish oil for saturated fat is harmful and one can stay within the LCHF guidelines. Obviously genetics are at play here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    IMO, I don't believe substituting olive/avocado/cold water fish oil for saturated fat is harmful and one can stay within the LCHF guidelines. Obviously genetics are at play here.
    I can't imagine why it would be harmful.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

I think it is important you read this because it is NOT stating there is no connection between diet and cholesterol levels, although there is less than what was claimed for most people. The really big part is that higher cholesterol is NOT a good marker for disease. In fact, this study along with a few others, is showing that low cholesterol is more strongly associated not only with total mortality, but with coronary death.
    In the Minnesota study, replacement of saturated fats with corn oil led, again, to reductions in total cholesterol. This finding was touted at major conferences, and it became one of the key moments in the creation of the classic diet-heart myth. This time nobody but the guy who wrote the thesis even noticed that the patients in the corn oil group were, overall, dying a little faster. The 2016 re-analysis uncovered a dose-response relationship: the more the patients’ total cholesterol decreased, the faster they died.

This chart from the study shows the best predictor of coronary issues is HDL level where higher is better:

Note - That study looked at standard lipid levels. There are those who would contend that lipoprotein particles should be examined, as the lipid levels don't tell the whole story and may be discordant in relation to the associated particles. In particular, the LDL particle count (LDL-P) is correlated with CVD.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Note - That study looked at standard lipid levels. There are those who would contend that lipoprotein particles should be examined, as the lipid levels don't tell the whole story and may be discordant in relation to the associated particles. In particular, the LDL particle count (LDL-P) is correlated with CVD.

Agreed. Unfortunately many have a hard time finding a doctor who will order complete test so this could be useful for those with a doctor stuck in the old mindset.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Aquawave wrote: »
    I can't imagine why it would be harmful.

Yes, it wouldn't hurt.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Agreed. Unfortunately many have a hard time finding a doctor who will order complete test so this could be useful for those with a doctor stuck in the old mindset.

Yep, that's true.

It sounds like Trig/HDL-C is reasonably useful - but only if you've fasted long enough (12+ hours, preferably 16) for your triglycerides to be telling the truth.