2 questions

Options
pitbullmamaliz
pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
Holy moly, you guys sick of all my random questions yet??? I'm just so grateful to have this group and all the incredibly knowledgeable and generous people here!

1. I am frequently cold these days. I used to run pretty warm, but I feel like now I'm cold more often than not. And of course my electric blanket bit the dust, so now along with tons of blankets, I also have to sleep in warm clothes, which annoys me as I prefer sleeping au naturale. ;-) Is this a low carb thing, or a "almost lost 23 pounds" thing?
2. Short of peeing on a stick or something, is there a way to know if we're in ketosis? I don't feel like my breath stinks. I'm not aiming for ketosis, but I generally am below 50g carbs so I'm just curious.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hahaha, I also sleep au naturale.... But inside of a long sleeve t-shirt, tights and wooly sox and under a Hudson Bay wool Point Blanket and a duvet. Women who have lost fat weight tend to run cooler. If you feel like it is a problem though, and you have other symptoms you might want to get your thyroid checked. There's a couple of good threads on thyroid in this forum.
  • Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yep lost 32lb here and always cold now. I was never cold heavier..
    I would also like to know ur question number 2
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    From what I understand you will be in ketosis at that level of carbs - no need to test anything especially if you are getting results. I don't think I ever had bad breath from it (at least no one said anything, not even my husband) but definitely stinky pee.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Both good questions! It's the same here, on both counts. I don't use the Keto sticks, I don't think I have bad breath either. I keep carbs under 20g per day, so I would assume I'm in ketosis. I'm also cold all the time now. I'm sure it's partly due to loss of fat.

I'm not much help with answers just letting you know I completely relate.

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Great questions! I've been wondering about the cold thing as well. I'm always wearing a sweater or wrapping a blanket around me. I sleep au naturale as well, but under a great thick duvet that I sometimes double up over top of me.

At 50g carbs you might be in ketosis, but might not. Everyone has their own level of carb sensitivity I think. Eg. my sister really needs to be under 20g to maintain ketosis but I was there at 40-50g. The stix are fairly inexpensive around here, $15 for 50, so I'd say if you're curious, it's not a big expense to find out.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I'm glad I'm not alone in my new cold nature, LOL. Maybe I'll buy some sticks just for *kitten* and giggles. Though I have noticed stinky pee, now that canadjineh pointed that out. I was wondering why but maybe it's a sign I'm in keto. Bodies are so fascinating! And if I'm this chilly now, can't imagine how cold I'll be when I lose the next 30-35 pounds!
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Looks like you got your answers but I'll chime in to say back when I was 180 lbs a few years ago (I'm 5'8") I got cold all the time! And it hurt to sit on a hard chair for very long, and it was hard to nest my knees for sleeping. But I'll take all that over worrying about my health I guess, lol :smiley:
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    sixaround1 wrote: »
    Looks like you got your answers but I'll chime in to say back when I was 180 lbs a few years ago (I'm 5'8") I got cold all the time! And it hurt to sit on a hard chair for very long, and it was hard to nest my knees for sleeping. But I'll take all that over worrying about my health I guess, lol :smiley:

I had to get a small pillow for between my knees when I sleep since I've lost weight, it really helps.

I may also get those stick, I didn't realize how inexpensive they were.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Bwaahahahaa, @canadjineh !

Over my birthday suit and Borat swimwear, I sleep in a long-sleeve base layer, a fleece top, thermal long underwear, and, if we have kittens, slippers. Plus a stocking cap with Dumbledore colors if it's not July or August.

Yeah, some old guys run cooler, too.....
  • TravellerRay
    TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
    Options

Lol, so I am not the only one who now sits on a cushion :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Lol, so I am not the only one who now sits on a cushion :)

I relate to all that. I don't sit down at the kids' soccer games when they play Indoor for the bench issue. Frickin' ouch.

I have a knee pillow. Wear jackets when the house is below 74 deg (23C). EFF Winter, though seriously. My hands and feet are miserable. I'm bundled up like the younger brother in the Christmas Story every time I have to go outside.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Before I got the Ketostix (which are not the best to determine if your in Ketosis), I knew I was in Ketosis when I had a massive amount of energy, but had not eaten for a long period of time (12, 18+ hours). Once you start seeing the scale and waist measurements move down you know your in Ketosis, your burning fat. You will not be hungry, another sign for me. I did not want food even after a long period of time of not eating. You dont need the Ketostix, they do not measure the three types of amino acid that Ketosis produces, only what is escreted.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Cold can be a sign your metabolism is slowing down which is not ideal. But it's for sure also related to your body losing some of it's blanket aka fat lol

I don't monitor Ketosis either. I do notice a slightly different smell to my pee. (I can't believe I just typed that) sometimes Similar to when I was pregnant (can't believe I typed that either) and I suspect that's a result of being fat adapted or ketones or whatever. I don't know that I really care but I do notice some subtle changes and that lets me know SOMETHING is going on inside...I'm not sure this is even answering your question. I'm goning to quit while I'm ahead. :smiley:
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I'm cold more too (30 pounds down).

I've never monitored ketones. My goal is fat adaption, so as long as I can go long periods between eating and feel energized, I'm happy. At the beginning I had dry, metallic mouth and asparagus pee, but nothing like that in a long time.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    In regard to cold, less fat = less insulation. However, if you have adequate brown fat (which is "good" fat), that will help. One thing that keeps people losing inches but not weight initially is their body converting white fat ("bad" fat) to brown fat which is much denser. Brown fat actually burns a lot of energy to create heat and keep you warm.

This is an area of interest for me because I am always cold which sucks because my wife is in early menopause due to a hysterectomy and is always hot. Car rides suck from a temperature standpoint.

Anyway, as I have looked into this, one thing that may help is actually "cold therapy" which I can only describe as an anti-sauna. Essentially, it seems there is some evidence that spending 10-20 minutes a day in cold will make your body convert white fat to brown fat. I have not been able to find the original research articles on this yet, but have seen/heard it referenced a few times now, so I will keep looking.

I REALLY hate being cold all the time, so I am considering doing some n=1 experiments with this even if I can't find the original research. However, we are approaching summer, and I live in Texas, so I may not have an easy way to do this for several months.

As for your second question, those pee stix only work accurately until you are fat adapted. After that, it is easy to get a false negative simply because your body gets more efficient at using the ketones so fewer get expelled through urine.

If you want to know for sure, you either need to use a blood ketone meter (considered the gold standard) or a breath ketone meter (i.e. Ketonix).

As @johnnylew mentioned, there are signs which can give you a reasonably good idea if you are in ketosis, however it is not 100%. The biggest/easiest IMO is when you can go 12, 18 or even 24 hours without eating and aren't even really hungry.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I see cardigan shopping in my future.
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Anyway, as I have looked into this, one thing that may help is actually "cold therapy" which I can only describe as an anti-sauna. Essentially, it seems there is some evidence that spending 10-20 minutes a day in cold will make your body convert white fat to brown fat. I have not been able to find the original research articles on this yet, but have seen/heard it referenced a few times now, so I will keep looking.

This is interesting and I am eager to hear what you find out. If you need a "cold place" even in summer, make friends with your local gas station attendent and ask if you can walk in their freezer for a few minutes a day and just stand there (in full sight). Or go to your local Costco or grocery store with a walk in type freezer. I know this because grocery shopping at costco is painful when I have to go into the milk/veggie area :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

I REALLY hate being cold all the time, so I am considering doing some n=1 experiments with this even if I can't find the original research. However, we are approaching summer, and I live in Texas, so I may not have an easy way to do this for several months.

If you want to continue the cold therapy during the summer, you can finish your morning shower with straight cold water (or as cold as you can handle) for as long as you can handle it. It was a shock when I first started, but it does get easier the more often I do it. I have done this and it helps - having lost 60+ lbs, I am in the camp of 'always cold' along with the others.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »

This is interesting and I am eager to hear what you find out. If you need a "cold place" even in summer, make friends with your local gas station attendent and ask if you can walk in their freezer for a few minutes a day and just stand there (in full sight). Or go to your local Costco or grocery store with a walk in type freezer. I know this because grocery shopping at costco is painful when I have to go into the milk/veggie area :)

I may not do this exactly, but it did give me an idea. Several of the convenience stores around here have a walk in refrigerated beer section. Hanging out in there for several minutes doesn't seem like a bad idea.