Candida overgrowth/dieoff/yeast issues - possible tmi

Options
auntstephie321
auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
Does anyone know anything about die off or what not. I went back to pretty low carb in like the beginning of march then end of march switched to a still lower carb higher protein diet and am not back to mod protein, all keeping the carbs right around the same level 60-80g a day.

In march for the second time in my life, I am not prone to these, I got a yeast infection, it went away then in April at exactly the same timing I got another one, took two rounds of diflucan and eventually it subsided. Now I have cracks in the corner of my mouth that I researched and said it also is typically caused by yeast.

So what the heck is going on, I am barely eating any sugar, no added sugar, only the sugars in veggies. So there is nothing for it to feed off of, which has me wondering about die off being a possible issue, but I really don't know if that's actually a thing or something people just say. Does anyone know anything about it?

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Try adding some probioticsif you don't already take them. I find I get YI's without them regardless of how I eat.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    Try adding some probioticsif you don't already take them. I find I get YI's without them regardless of how I eat.

I started taking them when the issues started but it didn't help, so maybe I should start now and take daily. I've just never had issues before so it's really odd for me to figure out
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of luck with a probiotic called Syntol AMD on Amazon.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    stacicali wrote: »
    I had a lot of luck with a probiotic called Syntol AMD on Amazon.

thanks for the suggestion I just ordered it, I hope it helps, I really don't want to deal with this again
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    In the meantime, sauerkraut is a great source of probiotics if you enjoy it.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    StacyChrz wrote: »
    In the meantime, sauerkraut is a great source of probiotics if you enjoy it.

Lol I do not enjoy it. But I have some other probiotics that I might try taking a bunch of to see if I just need more.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Before garlic turned on me, I found this product very effective:

https://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/yeast-fend-100-capsules/vs-1594

It has garlic in it so I can't use it anymore. My dad used it very successfully to get rid of a case of thrush he got from some powerful antibiotics.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Highly personal, I know, but if you had sex, it's actually possible your partner is infecting you... Candida is infectious and can lie dormant with no symptoms, but it can be passed on, if untreated....

It's not classified as an std, because (1) you can have it without it having been passed on and (2) it's got a multitude of possible causes...it's treatable and totally controllable too....
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I've also been told that men don't feel the candida as readily as women do...
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I think you're right; but in my H's case, it's how he first discovered he was diabetic... He did a lot of research, and sought information on his symptoms (which included tiredness, irritability and thirst) and basically self-diagnosed before having it confirmed by a doctor... but the most obvious symptom was an attack of thrush, that just wouldn't go away....
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle Yes this how I found out I had diabetes too since I never had a yeast infection before. My A1C was close to 10 and the endo put me on a like a million rx's. Main reason I hate meds is due to her overreaction. I almost fell into a diabetic coma taking the meds she prescribed me! It was crazy!
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    When I go very low carb - I have exactly the same symptoms. I have had help from the doc twice but raising my carb levels - not starch or sugars - make the symptoms disappear. After over 2 years of eating lower carbs and very slow weight loss, I am trying again. So far, 3 weeks, so good. My A1C is good and I have been showing ketones so I don't think it can be undiagnosed diabetes.

If you figure this out, I would be grateful to hear.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    When I go very low carb - I have exactly the same symptoms. I have had help from the doc twice but raising my carb levels - not starch or sugars - make the symptoms disappear. After over 2 years of eating lower carbs and very slow weight loss, I am trying again. So far, 3 weeks, so good. My A1C is good and I have been showing ketones so I don't think it can be undiagnosed diabetes.

If you figure this out, I would be grateful to hear.

I hope I can figure it out, gonna try some heavy dose of probiotics and upping my carbs a little. I really don't want to deal with this constantly
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    If you are having serious candida problems look into the GAPS diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I've also been told that men don't feel the candida as readily as women do...

I think that is often the case due to less warm moist places for it to impact but it really did a number on me and the die off was HUGE. I still work to prevent it getting back in control again.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    how would I know for sure if it is candida? I feel like it is because all of the things that I seem to have are commonly caused by that but I don't really know for sure. I started taking 3 probiotics with each meal last night so I guess if things clear up then maybe that's it. I feel like it would be die off more than anything since I hadn't been eating anything that would really be feeding an overgrowth and hadn't been on antibiotics either.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    how would I know for sure if it is candida? I feel like it is because all of the things that I seem to have are commonly caused by that but I don't really know for sure. I started taking 3 probiotics with each meal last night so I guess if things clear up then maybe that's it. I feel like it would be die off more than anything since I hadn't been eating anything that would really be feeding an overgrowth and hadn't been on antibiotics either.

amymyersmd.com/2015/11/10-signs-you-have-candida-overgrowth-and-what-to-do-about-it/

I found these 10 factors from Dr. Myers a good starting point in reading up on candida issues. The fourth on hit home hard:

Autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma, or Multiple sclerosis
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be so blunt but for general information, not intimating anything at all...Just a note... it has been proven by University of Michigan Health System researchers that:

When sexual activities were looked at, however, the researchers found women who had recurrences were more likely to have participated in cunnilingus (or oral sex given to the woman) or *kitten* of the woman with saliva in the past month. Only 14.5 percent of women reported *kitten* with saliva, however, while 69 percent reported cunnilingus, suggesting oral sex is the more common risk.

Oral sex and *kitten* with saliva proved to be risk factors whether men showed signs of yeast in their mouth or not. The risk was also not affected by the presence of Candida in the women's genital area.

"We're not saying that oral sex is a problem for everyone, but if a women is experiencing recurrent yeast infections, those activities put her at an increased risk," Reed says.

The woman's age at first intercourse, lifetime number of partners, frequency of intercourse or anal intercourse in the previous month were all not associated with recurrences.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/12/031219073022.htm
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Well, I'm so glad I prefer puppies.

Just sayin'.
  • littefish2018
    littefish2018 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I swear by the L. Reuteri lactobacillus in plain kefir. I know it sounds weird, but drink it or stick it in there to repopulate and rebalance all the good flora that was somehow some way eradicated on your journey. Don't be scared :)