What was your fasting BG today?

Options

Replies

• jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    i drink, very moderatley (3-5 drinks a month) mainly with dinner... beer, wine, gin, cognac and scotch makes no matter.. i plan for it and have dessert... this is what works for me. i only take meformin for my sugar. my doctor whined a little at the beginning and i went 6 months without any alcohol, boring. talk to your doctor and perhaps you can work out a safe plan.

all that said last night i had a dry martini (6parts gin, 1part vermouth) just after dinner, then ice cream for dessert... morning BG: 110 (6.11)
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    jvcjim wrote: »
    i drink, very moderatley (3-5 drinks a month) mainly with dinner... beer, wine, gin, cognac and scotch makes no matter.. i plan for it and have dessert... this is what works for me. i only take meformin for my sugar. my doctor whined a little at the beginning and i went 6 months without any alcohol, boring. talk to your doctor and perhaps you can work out a safe plan.

all that said last night i had a dry martini (6parts gin, 1part vermouth) just after dinner, then ice cream for dessert... morning BG: 110 (6.11)

Im so lost...my numbers are all over. I only took 10 units last night and tgia morning i am at 171. (241 when i went to bed) I have lots of dietary and med/supplement questions. Since I have these underlying pancreas issues I'm not supposed to have any alcohol, the other night was the first time in months.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »
    jvcjim wrote: »

Im so lost...my numbers are all over. I only took 10 units last night and tgia morning i am at 171. (241 when i went to bed) I have lots of dietary and med/supplement questions. Since I have these underlying pancreas issues I'm not supposed to have any alcohol, the other night was the first time in months.

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution will give you a ton of great information, but you have to put in the time and effort to read and digest it.

Diabetes is a disease you beat with knowledge, not luck!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    5/2 - 97
    5/3 - 92
    5/4 - 89
    5/5 - 92
    5/6 - 94
    ... but i took myself off my meds about a week back (metformin), so I'm feeling ok with being up ~5-10 points over what i was, but still under 100. I still get spikes in my fasting and 2h. pp numbers if I fail to keep my carbs under about 35g/day (at about 60g/day I get +10-20 in fasting) or miss exercising more than than a day or two (+5-10 in fasting.)

Hoping that gets to the point I can check once every 4-5 days just to make sure things are on track after I lose another 30lbs or so.
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options
    shadus wrote: »
    5/2 - 97
    5/3 - 92
    5/4 - 89
    5/5 - 92
    5/6 - 94
    ... but i took myself off my meds about a week back (metformin), so I'm feeling ok with being up ~5-10 points over what i was, but still under 100. I still get spikes in my fasting and 2h. pp numbers if I fail to keep my carbs under about 35g/day (at about 60g/day I get +10-20 in fasting) or miss exercising more than than a day or two (+5-10 in fasting.)

Hoping that gets to the point I can check once every 4-5 days just to make sure things are on track after I lose another 30lbs or so.

Great progress.

How much Metformin had you been taking, and how high are your PP levels?
  • jvcjim
    Options
    117 (6.5)
  • ConleighS
    Options
    74 and shakey
  • jvcjim
    Options
    114 (6.33)
  • ConleighS
    Options
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I'm catching up again...seems I keep forgetting to log each day. FRI 5/5 fasting = 105, after lunch 115, SAT 5/6 fasting = 100, after lunch 76, SUN 5/7 fasting = 104. Today fasting = 99, after lunch = 92.
  • jvcjim
    Options
    117 (6.5) since stopping januvia on april 10th this seems to be about my morning normal.
  • ConleighS
    Options
  • leanmachine514
    Options
    This am fasting = 97
  • RalfLott
    Options

Hooray! Feeling pretty good today?
  • ConleighS
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Hooray! Feeling pretty good today?

Yes, it's been this and lower in the morning lately. I do prefer 90's more than 70's lol, but my gastroenterologist doesn't want me to go too far below 100 or I'll have more problems with my pancreas.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Great progress.

How much Metformin had you been taking, and how high are your PP levels?

When I first went in Feburary my fasting was 204 and my a1c was 9.5, I was originally prescribed 2000mg/day, but took myself down to 1000mg/day (more because of how badly it messes with my guts than because my blood sugar was at a range i liked and thought I could do without it), and then 500mg/day before ditching it, and doctor gave me Glimepiride as well, but I told him i'd see how i was doing on blood sugar at end of month 1 before I'd decide if i was gonna take that as well as the metformin (a week and a half of keto and my averages were less than 120 fasting and 2h pp so I never took the glimepiride at all.)

He kinda pissed me off by being so dismissive and condescending of attempting to correct the issues for myself, yes, I know that I'm a fat *kitten*, but that doesn't mean I'm a damn idiot, lack understanding of how to lose weight, am unable to do research, or that I lack will power. Just that I'm fat... and isn't like he's the epitome of in shape either, so was kinda double insulting.

He wanted me on the ADA diet which would have had me on glimepiride 8mg/day and metformin 2k/day to *maybe* get blood sugar under control, he insinuated that current meds wouldn't be enough, so we'd probably be adding more meds (my pre-diabetic diet had about same daily carbs as ADA diet... and less 'fast carbs' like fruit and sugars (I like oats, wheat, etc... not so much really sweet foods) Wanted me on Lipitor as well due to age (40) and being diabetic... but I told him we could discuss that next I saw him if things weren't notably better, I wasn't comfortable going on a pile of new meds in one go because I'd be unable to tell which were helping and which if any were having negative side effects.

All said and done, I've lost ~40lbs, blood sugar is 98% of the time less than 100, my bp went from ~145/95 to ~120/75, I know my cholesterol numbers have to be better than they were (triglycerides was over 400), and my 'liver function and enzymes are indicative of metabolic syndrome' when blood work was done in feb (whatever that means, but I'd wager its improved), my meter currently says 7d avg = 93, 14d avg = 90, 30d avg = 93, 90d avg = 101, so a1c should be greatly improved from 9.5... I'll be curious to see what the blood work next week shows. He is probably going to *kitten* because I didn't ask permission to change my medications, but frankly I don't give a *kitten*.

My recent (since dropping metformin) PP levels fluctuate between 86-103 at 2h (usually about 95ish is where it ends up, but I've had a couple higher and lower, seems to correlate strongly with when I last exercised, even when it was no where near the meal or testing.)
  • jvcjim
    Options
    113 (6.28)
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I was never told not to drink because of diabetes. I am not supposed because of my pancreas, which is why i haven't in like 6 months. Since the two are related I should have guessed there would be an issue

Now I know. Learning curve.

I haven't drank alcohol in nearly 20 years , only because I was worried about overdoing it like some of other family members. Now I know I can't because of my pancreas. I've been called a party pooper, but we have to do what's right for us.

This morning. 6.8 (123).
  • ConleighS
    Options
    .174 this morning
  • leanmachine514
    Options
    97 again today...I'll check to see just before lunch where I'm at later