Breakfast cereal

Options
JohnMP01
JohnMP01 Posts: 1 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
What is the best cereal (besides oatneal )
I want a cereal to have with cold milk

That is low carb/low GI
High protein would be good too.
I have T2D and trying to lower/control BG And get off meds

Thanks

Replies

• LowcarbLondoner
    LowcarbLondoner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I would avoid all boxed cereals or porridge. Milk is not advisable either. There is a low carb recipe for grain free granola on the Ditch the Carbs website. you could eat that with a natural(not low fat) yogurt
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Cereal isn't really going to be low carb, especially cold cereal. The best you're likely to get on that front is a mueseli, granola, or nut based oatmeal, and even then, you'll be racking up the carbs, though they should be lower-GI. From there, look for ones with a good bit of fiber and little to no added sugar or high sugar ingredients, and any grains in it should be whole and ideally minimally processed.

I recommend rethinking your breakfast altogether and consider things like omelettes or even a low carb protein shake. These things do a better job at keeping you satisfied without blowing half your carb budget, or starting the day with a carb hit. You might be surprised at the difference it makes.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'll repeat a posting I made recently. Years ago, there was a university study done in which on lab rats in Group A were fed nothing but best selling boxed cereals with milk. Group B was fed nothing but the cardboard cereal boxes with milk. Neither group flourished but Group B didn't do any worse than Group A.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Cereals/granola are basically how I got myself fat. I told myself it was 'healthy' because that's always how it's advertised. But if you're doing Low Carb, there are so many better choices for breakfast. I love protein shakes (be sure to check the carb count), eggs and bacon, and yogurt. These are all things that will keep you full a lot longer than cereal will and won't spike your blood sugar.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,961 Member
    Options
    I'm just low-carb, about 100-120g...but if I want to do cereal, I get about 15g unsweetened shredded coconut, and 1/4 to a 1/3 cup of either lower carb granola (Larabar's Berry Renola) or process some almonds and pecans with the food processor until they're granola sized. Add cinnamon and Pyure (stevia/erythritol sweetener blend.) I put in about a half cup almond milk. It's a reasonably good substitute.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    I'm just low-carb, about 100-120g...but if I want to do cereal, I get about 15g unsweetened shredded coconut, and 1/4 to a 1/3 cup of either lower carb granola (Larabar's Berry Renola) or process some almonds and pecans with the food processor until they're granola sized. Add cinnamon and Pyure (stevia/erythritol sweetener blend.) I put in about a half cup almond milk. It's a reasonably good substitute.

That sounds SO satisfying and very similar to something I used to get daily at a resort in Hawaii when my parents had a timeshare there. Every morning I'd have a homemade granola that had huge dried/toasted coconut flakes and macadamia nuts in it. Mmmm! I'm going to need to try your recipe!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My quick Google searches keep coming up with Cheerios, Wheaties and Special K but keep in mind I'm just providing an answer to the question that you posed. I don't eat cereal and I am not diabetic. Each show about 20 grams of carbs for the cereal alone without milk.

I'm not necessarily advocating them. Just answering a question.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine makes this

35koaj50ch9z.jpg
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here is the sad truth: unfortunately, there really is no "low-carb friendly breakfast cereal" that doesn't have minuscule portion sizes (1/4 - 1/2 cup DRY) for WAY too many carbs and which usually contain grains and other questionable ingredients. The same is true for granola. Even cereal and granola that you can make at home for yourself (which I do) are much higher in carbs than one would expect even being made from healthy nuts, nut flours and healthy fats like coconut milk or heavy whipping cream, etc.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Dr. Bernstein recommends diabetics eat no more than 6g of net carbs for breakfast, (since blood glucose is usually highest then) and no more than 12g each for lunch and dinner.

A glance at a box of Cheerios or Wheaties and the mere thought of milk would probably start my BG rising (and the real thing would spike my BG from 90 to over 200 in less than an hour. :s)

____
    Link to Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0316182699