What made you

Options
124»

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend talked so much about it and I listened to so many podcasts from top health and fitness professionals that I had to give it a shot. I love it....I'm not where I want to be because of my issues that stalled my higher carb intake diet. But I choose keto over that because of all the other health benefits.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Simply reading here that 1 individual with Dystonia indicated her involuntary movements had lessened. Reading here that another individual with Dystonia and Epilepsy indicated her involuntary movements from Dystonia had lessened and her elileptic seizures had stopped. I've always known the med prescribed to me (on an as needed basis) for my Cervical Dystonia is an anti-seizure med but "light bulbs" never went off and lead me to research that path.

I lost my excess weight a couple years ago via MFP tracking and ventured into this forum looking for information regarding low carb diets and effects on cholesterol. I stayed and went keto because of Dystonia. It's working. Not cured. Improved. I'll keto on.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    <refresh> for new members
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The first time I heard someone describe the reasons for eating a paleo diet I kinda went, "Hmmm. That makes as much sense as anything I've ever heard. Why am I eating *kitten* that I am not evolutionarily predisposed to eat?" Sometime thereafter I got the pre-diabetic diagnosis and having been reading about paleo diets for a few years I'd already been exposed to some of the information regarding LCHF diets. I began reading about managing blood sugar and found a video with Dr. Charles Mobbs talking about ketogenic diets and diabetic nephropathy in rats. From there I was off to the races.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I love this thread, and needed it after a nearly week-long off-plan carb binge. Ugh.

So I'd been doing basic MFP-recommended CICO, and the weight was coming off, but very slowly and it wasn't fun. Then I got a pretty serious injury, needed surgery, and it was a terrible recovery, very painful. So I ate what was easy for me to make, and I didn't move much, and I didn't count calories. One of my officers at work died and I needed to wear my uniform for the funeral. Well, I'd been off work nearly 3 months, and found that I had to squeeeeeeeze my butt into my work pants. I was afraid they were going to explode off of me in the middle of the funeral. That was kind of a wake up call.

So I decided to just start reading MFP forums again for inspiration, and maybe to get my mind thinking along the right lines. Somebody posted a link to the Diet Doctor website, and I thought, "wow, that sounds super spammy!" but I was bored, so I clicked on it. And read it. And read it. And read it. And it made sense. So I started doing more research on low carb and thought I'd give it a try.

I'm so grateful for whoever posted that link. And I'm so grateful for this forum because if I had to rely on the main forums for help I'd never have continued this WOE. So thanks to all of you, I am within a few pounds of Onederland, where I haven't been in decades. And I actually feel like hitting my "ideal" weight is a possibility, and I've NEVER felt that way before.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I did it to support my H. He read on an on-line news item that fasting for two days a month, for around 3 months, can help halt or even "cure" a type 2 Diabetic. Now, I had been telling him this for a long time (I'm a big fan of Dr Michael Mosely - I already follow his bullet-pointed recommendations in this article ;) ) but of course, you really don't want to hear it from your nearest-and-dearest loved ones. Oh no. They don't know nothink!
    It has to come to your attention, at random, from seemingly nowhere....
    So, he did more research, while I coincidentally read and joined a thread on a Forum (on which I am a Moderator) and found a video there with Dr Sarah Hallsberg and others, including Butter Bob, which I shared with him and made him watch.... and the rest is history.

We've both lost a good deal of weight, but if I'm honest, I'm so proud of him and I'm more thrilled with his achievement that I am of mine.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I found LCHF because I had a recent T2 diabetes diagnosis, and Metformin + the Diabetes Association diet the doctor gave me was not bringing my glucose levels down. I tried the Zone, and things improved a little. I looked at various things online and decided I would try reducing carbs. The glucose levels fell almost immediately to more manageable levels. I settled on a goal of 50 carbs a day initially and then before long switched to 20 net carbs a day. It has been working for me. It is sustainable as a WOE. I am making progress with weight.

What's not to like?
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP for almost 5 years now and in that time lost 167lbs. Then my weight loss stalled for a while and I gained about 20lbs back. I was determined not to gain the weight back like I had always had in the past and started to read about the keto diet. Two weeks ago I took my carbs down to 50g a day and this past week I started shooting for 20 net carbs. In the last week I lost 4lbs so I feel I am heading in the right direction. I'm a bit worried about the high fat but I am logging everything on MFP and plan to see my doctor next month to talk about what I am doing. I really appreciate this group and hope to get a lot of good information out of it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    As a bit of an update, I went on keto for the same reason I've gone back to a higher carb intake now: it was the best fit for my metabolic state, and goals.

Started keto because I was obese, and teetering on T2D at 265 lbs. It made it much easier for me to peel off 100+ lbs. of human squish.

Went back to 50/30/20 c/p/f for bulks, because since being sub-15% bodyfat for nearly a year, my hormones finally unfucked themselves, and keto was no longer conducive to my training efforts. That feeling when your insulin sensitivity is finally back to where it should have been all along. :D

I occasionally still use an aggressive form of low carb (essentially zero) when I cut.

For me, my training dictates my diet. I refuse to allow my progress to be enslaved by food preferences. In my life, relative strength and work capacity trump tastebuds any day of the week.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    lajpeck wrote: »
    I have been using MFP for almost 5 years now and in that time lost 167lbs. Then my weight loss stalled for a while and I gained about 20lbs back. I was determined not to gain the weight back like I had always had in the past and started to read about the keto diet. Two weeks ago I took my carbs down to 50g a day and this past week I started shooting for 20 net carbs. In the last week I lost 4lbs so I feel I am heading in the right direction. I'm a bit worried about the high fat but I am logging everything on MFP and plan to see my doctor next month to talk about what I am doing. I really appreciate this group and hope to get a lot of good information out of it.

Prepare yourself for the same old saw from your doctor about avoiding fat if he's old school. Most of them tend to follow the same old guidelines, which are almost as slow to change as the docs themselves......
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I ate what might be considered low carb (100-120 or so) just because I've never been a huge fan of starches and like the occasional sugary treat (ice cream), but don't find those to be my big weakness, so when cutting calories it was easy to cut way down on the starchy stuff and eliminate sugary things I was eating mindlessly (and also to cut down on oils and butter and cheese, admittedly). Felt great doing that which I just attributed to eating more purposefully and not too much and being more active again. Tried to increase carbs (and fat) when transitioning into maintenance (found I was still naturally capping carbs at 150 g, which I considered pretty average or moderate and was just based on personal preference--the exception would be if I ate poorly and snacked all day, since snacks around are usually high carb and fat). Tried to bump carbs to 50% because I keep reading that's better for various forms of training, and found it difficult and did not like it. Did one of my occasional experiments with vegetarian (for a while plant based) eating and found I felt noticeable worse in some ways -- mood, not hungry but like I wanted to eat when I wasn't hungry, which I'd always assumed was just emotional eating but I finally wondered if it might be related to fat content. So I went back to 100-120 g carbs and bumped fat way up and wow, I instantly felt great and had the wanting to eat all the time just disappear.

So I'm sold on eating like that for sure, even at maintenance. Not sure if that counts as LCHF, probably not.

But I have been curious if there would be a benefit to keto, if I'd like it, what it would feel like, so decided to cut carbs down more to experiment. (They aren't super low because for me personally there's a limit on how much I'm willing to cut veg or worry about which non starchy veg I eat, and I also am eating nuts and some full fat dairy -- I'm doing in the 30s net, and hoping that is enough to try ketosis given that I run regularly.) Part my reason is that I struggle with depression off and on and I've heard ketones can be good for that. So far I have not felt bad at all (don't ever feel like eating between meals, random cupcakes at the office that people bring in have lost their attraction, and my mood feels positive and stable, although these are all things I got from eating around 100 g too). I also seem to be getting my running back (it was sluggish initially), still don't feel normal running up stairs (the one thing that is driving me crazy), but am willing to be patient and am overall enjoying the experience. I don't have a medical reason to do this and love fresh local fruit, so I have a feeling I may increase carbs a bit as they come into season.

Oh, I've been at maintenance but as part of this am trying to lose 10 more lbs.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I was diagnosed with T2D somewhere around 2005. They sent me to a dietitian who put me on a high carb, low fat diet. This began a series of cycles where I would try to do what they said, fail, beat myself up about it but go back to my former way of eating, gain more weight, beat myself up about that, try the diet again, and round we go. I'd heard of Atkins, I read his book a few times but didn't think I could stick to it so never really have it much of a chance. Of course, I was still sold on the fat is bad, carbs are healthy. A few years ago I went to a new dietitian who put me on a diet slightly lower in carbs than the first, low in fat, and about 1500 calories. Epic fail. I started a low carb diet similar to Atkins in January 2015 and did well until June. I saw a doctor who generally disapproved of the diet, impled me my weight loss was insignificant, and then handed me a paper full of high carb foods that I should eat. That plus my kids' super busy schedule put me back to a diet of trying to fit high carbs into my calories. I did try to low carb it here and there but something pulled me back. This March something shifted. I can't tell you what exactly just that I was done with high carbs. I'd been reading about keto anyway and made the switch. This time it's not just "try it and see." This time I know it's what I need to do and I'm just not inclined to let issues derail me. Last night I rolled my car, with my daughter in it. We're both fine and in the past I would have dived headfirst into the cookies and ice cream but now I honestly don't have the need. They won't make me feel better, won t fix my car, won't keep me from freaking every time I think of my kid in the car. I just don't want them anymore, not really.
  • lajpeck
    lajpeck Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks RalfLott. This is a new doctor who I have not met so it will be interesting. I am just trying to find my way as I go and figure out what works best for me.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    @LowCarb4Me2016 So glad you are ok! And thanks for sharing your story.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Oh goodness me. @LowCarb4Me2016 , so glad you're ok! And your daughter too, I trust! Doesn't matter how it happened, as long as life and limb are safe and sound!
    That might have me reaching for a stiff drink though! Glad you're both fine!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I found my way to this lifestyle by listening to my body. I had part of my colon removed about 4 years ago. Ever since then, I've had digestive issues. They had become my 'normal'. One day I just kind of realized it was CARBS that were giving me the issues! I just came to that conclusion myself, after seeing how my body was reacting over time. Something in me just clicked and it's like my body knew I needed to limit the carbs, and needed to up the fat and protein.

I started looking into eating low carb in order to deal with this issue, and found my way to LCHF/keto. My digestive issues have been completely GONE ever since starting this lifestyle 22 days ago! I finally am losing the bloat that I dealt with daily, the cravings are gone, and the painful bathroom experiences... I feel great!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Seajolly wrote: »
    I found my way to this lifestyle by listening to my body. I had part of my colon removed about 4 years ago. Ever since then, I've had digestive issues.
    <snip>
    ... I feel great!

Hi @seajolly! I mentioned Dr Michael Mosely in my previous post. He's an absolutely amazing Doctor in the UK who has made it his life's work to investigate foods, bodies and the connection, combination and effects.... He has a book due to be released on the 18th of May. I have pre-ordered mine from Amazon, but if you read this link (same as the one I posted above) you may find it ticks a couple of boxes for you. You may find it interesting reading....

Hope that helps!