Looking into WLS and have a few questions

Options
souperchik
souperchik Posts: 5 Member
So I went to a seminar and am waiting for the insurance check to see what's covered and there's a few questions I'd love to have answers before I start the journey.

Some background: I'm 5'6 and 260 lbs. diabetic, hypothyroid and PCOS'er. I've always been obese. I'm leaning heavily towards the band because it's adjustable and I feel like me having some responsibility/control over it is a good thing.

I have the activity/fitness thing down pretty well, walk 30-60m per day, gym/cardio/circuit training 2-3 times per week.

Eating has always been emotional for me. I've tried the diets, had some success but usually gained back.

I don't drink soda or sweetened drinks - I've never been a sweets person unless it's during that 1 week where I crave chocolate and my menstrual cycle rolls over everything in its path. But I drink A LOT of water or herbal tea - usually 100-120 oz per day.

I've seen tips to only sip a few ounces per hour and I'm sure this will be a behavioral thing I need to get used to. What have been people's experience with liquids? Does it get stopped just like food would or would it just flow thru pretty quickly?

Also, how important is it to eat low fat? I always go with full fat because the LF is usually added sugar which is bad for my blood sugar control. Also, I'm sensitive to sugar substitutes (other than stevia which I can tolerate ok-ish).

How bad was the post-surgery pain? I'm allergic to EVERYTHING that helps with pain - found out I was allergic to morphine when I had my thyroid surgery 4 years ago. I'm terrified of pain now.

What is the typical size of meals during post-op healing and then what does a typical meal look like when you're past the healing stages? I've seen 4 oz and I've seen 1/4 to 1/2 cup but I'm a visual person so it hard to imagine.

What does a typical grocery shop look like for you?

Thanks so much to anyone who answers. I'm a planner and these are some of the things I've been hung up on lately.

Replies

• clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Do research the band thoroughly before you get one. While some are happy with theirs, many have had to have them removed due to slippage or eroding holes into the stomach. And many get them revised to a sleeve or bypass. My surgeon won't do them anymore.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Im in the uk. Our area will not do bands any more due to slippages, ports flipping over, erosions and the fact that from their data the bypass and the sleeve have been much more effective
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Here are my answers based on my personal experience. Everybody is a little different and doctor's also provide different advice. Ultimately, in the end, you have to do what works for you based on the guidelines you're given, health issues, and personal goals.

I have the activity/fitness thing down pretty well, walk 30-60m per day, gym/cardio/circuit training 2-3 times per week. I try to get in 10K steps per day, sadly no other form of exercise.

Eating has always been emotional for me. I've tried the diets, had some success but usually gained back. I was a professional dieter. I could always lose (up to 100 pounds) but I always gained it back. Prior to surgery, the last diet was the Metabolic Research Diet, I lost 103 pounds and kept 50 pounds off. I elected to have surgery to help me maintain the weight loss, so far 1+ year I've been successful.

I don't drink soda or sweetened drinks - I've never been a sweets person unless it's during that 1 week where I crave chocolate and my menstrual cycle rolls over everything in its path. But I drink A LOT of water or herbal tea - usually 100-120 oz per day. This is a good thing and you can continue to drink 100 - 120 ounces per day in very small quantities. 2 ounces every 10 minutes in the beginning until the swelling in your stomach goes down

I've seen tips to only sip a few ounces per hour and I'm sure this will be a behavioral thing I need to get used to. What have been people's experience with liquids? Does it get stopped just like food would or would it just flow thru pretty quickly? I took 5 swallows/sips every 10 minutes following the 30/60 minute guidelines for meals. No fluid 30 minutes before and 60 minutes after, then it was sip/sip/sip over and over. In the beginning your stomach is very swollen think of the inside being about the size of a marker. You're protecting it so you don't want to gulp. You have a line of stitches and you don't want to put any excess pressure on that staple line.

Also, how important is it to eat low fat? I always go with full fat because the LF is usually added sugar which is bad for my blood sugar control. Also, I'm sensitive to sugar substitutes (other than stevia which I can tolerate ok-ish). Think of eating clean, very little processed foods. I did a low fat/low carb diet. When I was a professional yo-yo dieter I learned if I ate carbs I didn't lose weight. So it's low carb, low fat, high protein. You'll have to pick foods that keep your blood sugar under control and that may not be low carb, low fat.

How bad was the post-surgery pain? I'm allergic to EVERYTHING that helps with pain - found out I was allergic to morphine when I had my thyroid surgery 4 years ago. I'm terrified of pain now. There was basically no pain. I had liquid pain medication for home use. I used it twice the first two nights I was home. The pain wasn't from the incisions but my back was killing me because the hospital bed was so uncomfortable I was afraid of pain because I just don't like pain.

What is the typical size of meals during post-op healing and then what does a typical meal look like when you're past the healing stages? I've seen 4 oz and I've seen 1/4 to 1/2 cup but I'm a visual person so it hard to imagine. Post opt healing for the first 2-3 months was 2-3 ounces. For the first year my meals were no more than 4 ounces unless I had a salad then I could have 6 ounces. I use food scales and still 2+ years post opt I weigh my meals and don't have more than 8 ounces if I have a salad. If there is no salad with my meal I stop at 6 ounces.
    The difference being salad is basically water. I also kept my calories at an average of 800 per day until I got to goal weight per the doctor's guidelines. It wasn't easy but it was doable and it worked. I actually lost 100% of my weight goal and had to change my goal. HW 267, CW 135. Surgery date 2/2/2015. It took me 16 months to get to my initial goal of 150 lbs.

What does a typical grocery shop look like for you? Lean meats, fresh and frozen vegetables and some fruit. Not everyone does it but I also keep a few frozen entrees on hand for a day when I don't want to cook. I usually eat 1/2 and then add some more protein to increase the protein in the meal. I do have rice, yogurt, milk, eggs, beef jerky, and nuts.

I honestly can't say that I did everything right but some kind of way I got to my goal weight. Along the way, I had great days and days that weren't so great. I had junk food, fast food, cookies, ice cream, and potato chips but the sleeve did stop me from eating more than a few bites. I limit those foods to meeting lunches because I know I can't bring them home with me. I still crave foods that I know will cause me to gain weight but the longer I avoid them the easier it is.

I hope I've helped answer your questions.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Watching this thread with interest, I have many of the same questions.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    With regards to pain whats your normal pain tolerance? I have low tolerance and i was in a lot of pain. Mine was somewhat mismanaged (uk based, public hospital instead of private where he operates on 99%of his patients, they "forgot" to give me anything to drink for 3 days etc) so i was in hospital for 5 days and needed codiene for 2 weeks but once my external staples were removed i recovered rapidly
  • mlamb1970
    mlamb1970 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 5 months post VSG. I have lost a total of 77 pounds so far. I originally thought it would be hard to do this and thought I would feel deprived but I really do not feel that way! Previous to my surgery, I would talk with people that had the VSG and they would say that they are not hungry anymore. I truly could not fathom that as I stayed hungry and then was an emotional eater on top of that. Now I can honestly say that that is true. I am genuinely not hungry. There are times that I have to remind myself to eat. The beginning was hard, I am not going to lie about that, but I am so happy I did it now. You have to do what is right for you, but look into VSG and see if it is a match for your circumstances. We will be behind you 100% whatever you decide!
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Welcome to the group @souperchik. I had weight loss surgery in December 2016 and it was the best choice I could have made for my health. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I’m still in the weight loss phase – I’ve lost almost half of the weight I hope to get off.

I opted for VSG surgery. Like @clcmfp and @ruqayyahsmum mentioned, I was worried about potential future complications from a lap band, so I didn’t consider that surgery as an option for me.

Surgery was a lot easier than I anticipated. I had surgery early in the morning and I was released from the hospital the same day. I was up and walking within a half an hour of waking up. I used some heavy-duty Tylenol for the first couple of days, but I’m not even sure I needed that. I never felt any pain, just discomfort. My abdomen was tender for about a week, but not painful. The only annoying part was that I didn’t feel comfortable sleeping lying down for about a week. I spent several nights sleeping in an arm chair with my feet up on an ottoman. Annoying, but not that big a deal in the long run.

The VSG surgery has given me a kind of control I never had before. I don’t often test the limits of my new stomach – I don’t eat until I feel restriction. I eat until I feel satisfied. That is something I was never able to do before surgery. I never felt satisfied by food before. Before surgery, I could eat a HUGE meal and still feel hungry ten minutes later. After surgery, I now eat until I feel satisfied and that feeling lasts for a few hours. I often find myself wondering if this is how skinny people just naturally feel.

Drinking has been an issue for me. Not because I can’t handle drinking. I’m four and a half months out from surgery and I can gulp down water with no problem. I don’t feel any restriction drinking liquids. My issue is that I don’t really like drinking water, so I have to force myself and set reminders to drink. I was a Diet Coke junkie before surgery and I still crave it each day. I haven’t had any soda since December, but it’s the one craving that hasn’t gone away. Good on you for having good habits with water and tea before your surgery. That will make post-surgery life easier.

I typically have a protein smoothie for breakfast at 6:45 (with my b12 and Omeprazole), a small snack at 9:30 (with a multivitamin), a small lunch at 11:15 (with a multivitamin), a salad at 2:30 (with a multivitamin), dinner at 6:00, and then a snack at 8:00 (with my calcium chews).

I don’t eat anything low fat. I try to avoid carbs (besides the ones found in fruits and veggies) because bread, pasta and rice still sit very heavy in my stomach. I don’t make them completely off limits, but they aren’t in my diet’s regular rotation. I also limit the amount of added sugar, but I don’t worry about eating low fat. I focus on whole foods. Most of the fat in my diet comes from oils and dairy. At the grocery store, I really only visit the produce, meat, frozen and dairy sections. I hardly buy any processed food anymore. I buy lots of chicken, steak and shrimp for my dinners. I typically have about 4oz of one of those proteins with a side of butternut squash or broccoli. For breakfast, I make a smoothie with a Premier protein shake, greek yogurt and banana. My midday food is often chicken salad or deli meat with a garden salad and 4 oz of sharp cheddar cheese. At the end of the day, I’ll have a cup of melon chunks or a square of 85%+ dark chocolate. It has taken some getting used to the taste of chocolate that doesn’t have much sugar in it.

Weekdays are easy. I plan all the food out early in the week and just pack what I need each night. On weekends, I still struggle with grazing a bit. We don’t eat out much anymore because it’s annoying to be at a restaurant with a super active 17 month old and because it’s not worth it for me to eat just a few bites. So our grocery budget has gone up, but our overall food spending is down.

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask. This group has been a great resource for me. Everyone here is full of great information and encouragement.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    souperchik wrote: »
    So I went to a seminar and am waiting for the insurance check to see what's covered and there's a few questions I'd love to have answers before I start the journey.

I have the activity/fitness thing down pretty well, walk 30-60m per day, gym/cardio/circuit training 2-3 times per week.

You definitely do have the activity down well. I was very active before surgery and I feel that helped me have an easier recovery.

Eating has always been emotional for me. I've tried the diets, had some success but usually gained back.

Me too! I started therapy before I ever even considered surgery to help sort out the issues that led me to emotional eating, and I am SO glad I did. Also, your surgical group probably has a support group that can help you through this.

I don't drink soda or sweetened drinks - I've never been a sweets person unless it's during that 1 week where I crave chocolate and my menstrual cycle rolls over everything in its path. But I drink A LOT of water or herbal tea - usually 100-120 oz per day.

It's great that you drink a lot of fluids, that will definitely help you, but if your surgeon advises you not to drink 30 min before or after eating, be sure to abide by that.

I've seen tips to only sip a few ounces per hour and I'm sure this will be a behavioral thing I need to get used to. What have been people's experience with liquids? Does it get stopped just like food would or would it just flow thru pretty quickly?

In the beginning you might not be able to sip a lot. For me I had to sip more slowly in the beginning. I can drink pretty normally now, but I definitely can't gulp or chug a lot of liquids at once, it's pretty uncomfortable.

Also, how important is it to eat low fat? I always go with full fat because the LF is usually added sugar which is bad for my blood sugar control. Also, I'm sensitive to sugar substitutes (other than stevia which I can tolerate ok-ish).

What kind of low fat foods are you referring to? I don't know what kinds of foods have added sugar. As far as foods like proteins that might have some fat, such as meat or cheese, some people can tolerate it better than others. Sometimes when I eat meat that has fat it won't bother me, sometimes it does. That's something else to get used to. My tolerances or tastes still change and I am 3 1/2 years out.

How bad was the post-surgery pain? I'm allergic to EVERYTHING that helps with pain - found out I was allergic to morphine when I had my thyroid surgery 4 years ago. I'm terrified of pain now.

I only took the prescribed pain killers for one day after I got home, and that was just so I wouldn't move around too much in my sleep. And as far as sleep, for a few nights I slept in my comfy chair with my feet up like @Lisidy mentioned in another post. I tend to roll over on my side or stomach while I sleep and I wanted to avoid that. I personally did not have much pain at all. It felt weird, a little uncomfortable, not really painful though. For the first week I think I took tylenol a couple of times.

What is the typical size of meals during post-op healing and then what does a typical meal look like when you're past the healing stages? I've seen 4 oz and I've seen 1/4 to 1/2 cup but I'm a visual person so it hard to imagine.

For post-op, I followed my surgeon's guidelines. If I remember correctly, I was eating probably 1/4 cup of food for a while, slowly increased to 1/2 cup or so. Now, I can eat probably one cup of food comfortably, but it depends on the density of the food. If it's meat, usually 5 ounces will be more than enough, something softer like yogurt or cottage cheese I can eat a cup.

There are a few things I buy regularly because I eat them regularly - yogurt, eggs, egg whites, turkey bacon, things like that. I cook in bulk on weekends and portion things out for my lunches, so I might buy a package of chicken breasts or a roast for that. Some portions I keep in the fridge, some I freeze. I don't buy quite as much fresh produce as I'd like because it tends to go bad before I can use it, so unless I can buy small amounts, I buy frozen and just use what I need.

It's very important to remember that we don't all have the same tolerances, experiences, and results. I don't think there are two people in this group that have had the exact same experience. You just have to stay mindful, pay attention to what works and what doesn't, and remember you are going to be a work in progress. That said, having surgery was one of the best decisions I have ever made. My quality of life has improved immensely and every day I am grateful for my good health and the happiness it brings me.

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'll answer your questions in relation to me. However, I had a sleeve - not a band. I'm 5'6 with a high weight of 281.6 (July 2016) and a current weight of 179.6.

I have the activity/fitness thing down pretty well, walk 30-60m per day, gym/cardio/circuit training 2-3 times per week. I work out 4 days a week and aim for 80-90 minutes. On my off days I do my best to get in 10k steps

Eating has always been emotional for me. I've tried the diets, had some success but usually gained back. I am very much an emotional eater. This has been a difficult thing after surgery (not horrible) but I do catch myself. My biggest thing is writing everything down. I am 70% better than I was before - all I can do is work towards that 100%

I don't drink soda or sweetened drinks - I've never been a sweets person unless it's during that 1 week where I crave chocolate and my menstrual cycle rolls over everything in its path. But I drink A LOT of water or herbal tea - usually 100-120 oz per day. Giving up sweetened drinks and soda was not an issue for me. I drink 20% coffee and 80% water a day. Maybe once or twice a week I will have a glass of unsweetened ice tea

I've seen tips to only sip a few ounces per hour and I'm sure this will be a behavioral thing I need to get used to. What have been people's experience with liquids? Does it get stopped just like food would or would it just flow thru pretty quickly? This is very much in the beginning. Now I have no problem drinking a good amount of liquid in one sitting - but I don't drink 20 minutes before eating and close to an hour after eating. Because I'm SOOO full.

Also, how important is it to eat low fat? I always go with full fat because the LF is usually added sugar which is bad for my blood sugar control. Also, I'm sensitive to sugar substitutes (other than stevia which I can tolerate ok-ish). My doctor is all about counting protein first and calories. Eat protein FIRST but try to stay under 1200 calories for the first year.

How bad was the post-surgery pain? I'm allergic to EVERYTHING that helps with pain - found out I was allergic to morphine when I had my thyroid surgery 4 years ago. I'm terrified of pain now. I tend to have a pretty high pain tolerance. The worst part of the surgery was the gas afterwards. I stopped taking pain medication the day I left the hospital. I was back at work 6 days after surgery. As long as you get up and walk you will be just fine.

What is the typical size of meals during post-op healing and then what does a typical meal look like when you're past the healing stages? I've seen 4 oz and I've seen 1/4 to 1/2 cup but I'm a visual person so it hard to imagine. I'm 9 months out and my meals are usually around 6oz. I tend to weigh everything I eat. I can eat 7-8oz of yogurt but there's no way I can eat 8oz of meat.

What does a typical grocery shop look like for you? I have a family so I tend to buy what I bought before but also buy things that work for me. My typical grocery list for me is deli meat, cheese, yogurt, cauliflower rice, cucumber, eggs, sugar free creamer, almond milk, Tyson grilled chicken nuggets, halo top ice cream, cheese sticks, fruit (strawberries, blueberries, blackberries), popcorn (100cal bags), protein bars, and turkey burgers. I eat pretty plain. Just because it is what works best for me with my schedule. If my family has grilled chicken and rice - I make grilled chicken and cauliflower rice. It takes some adjustment but it just becomes your new way of life and I don't feel deprived.

Thanks so much to anyone who answers. I'm a planner and these are some of the things I've been hung up on lately.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Honestly I would not do the band. The hospital I had my surgery done is a weight loss center of excellence and they no longer do the band due to complications that have come out 10 years since it was first introduced. They only will do sleeve or RNY, if you need duodenal switch they refer you to another hospital in the bigger city. Full fat will be difficult at the beginning, full fat or too much sugar can cause dumping syndrome, but once you are through certain phases you can reintroduce the fuller fat versions, I am doing keto and it doesn't bother me at all (I'm a year out of sleeve surgery). You sound a lot like me, I too have PCOS and I am not a binge eater too much and I eat fairly healthy and exercise regularly so its always been annoying that it took so much for me to lose so little. The biggest change for me at least was not eating and drinking at the same time, I don't know how it is with the lapband as I said they will not do them anymore at my hospital but with sleeve and RNY you must wait at minimum 30 mins before and after eating to drink. That is the hardest lesson to learn, because most of us are conditioned to have a drink (water, soda, wine whatever) with a meal. Still hard for me a year out. An average day for me would be decaf coffee in the morning with 1/2 a protein shake as my creamer, then lunch could be eggs and ham, chicken and some salad or veggies for dinner, snacks might consist of cheese sticks etc. If you are an emotional eater, no matter what you do you have to get that under control, that is the psychological aspect of eating that cannot be solved by surgery. With sleeve surgery, the hunger trigger goes away, so I am rarely "hungry" I eat when I feel like I need to refuel because my body doesn't say hey I am hungry feed me. I still get antsy sometimes out of boredom that I feel like I need to eat when I know I am not really even hungry. I had to go through a lot of steps ahead of time to get surgery and one of them was a lifestyle class where mindful eating is encouraged. Sitting down at the table with your meal and not doing other things, really enjoying the food as you eat it. One of the exercises is he had us eat a goldfish cracker, roll it around in our mouth, and then chewing it about 100 times, really tasting it. It was amazing how cheesy it tasted that way, instead of the handfuls I would eat and it tasted like nothing, I would get goldfish and think why did I buy these they don't even taste like cheese, but yet while eating one and really enjoying it I realized how much they did taste like cheese instead of just mindlessly eating them. WLS is just a tool, you still have to work out, you still have to eat right, it just takes less food to fill you up. Plus if you over eat, don't worry its coming up in about 3, 2, 1...it doesn't take much. My trigger is my nose would start running, my first mistake was in puree phase I did 2 oz of chicken pureed with a small amount of mashed potatoes. I had two little bites left on my plate but felt like I had enough, but I had it in my head of throwing away food and it being wasteful so I ate those two bites and threw up about 5 mins later. Now I know better.

I had very little pain during surgery. A little gas that settled in my shoulder, but I walked the halls a lot at the hospital to get rid of it. I had liquid oxy for my pain at home, I took 1 dose two times and that was it. I was working out the second week (nothing too strenuous and no weights until week 4) but I was doing walk away the lbs, and gradually worked up from there.

Meals, by the time you are eating real food, you can do about 2-3 oz of meat etc. protein first always then a bit of bite of anything else. I am a year out now so I can do about 4 oz of meat at a meal.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I’m a planner too. Unfortunately no matter how much you research, you won’t know how it will affect you until you do it. Taking that leap of faith made it harder, but I’m so glad I did!

I had VSG in Nov 2016 and am still in the losing phase, down 104 lbs. I’ve heard more stories of failed bands turned to sleeve revisions than I have band successes, so please think hard about that. My doctor won’t even do them anymore. For me, I knew that this will be a problem for my whole life, and I might as well have a lifelong tool to help.

I have the activity/fitness thing down pretty well, walk 30-60m per day, gym/cardio/circuit training 2-3 times per week. You’re doing great! Keep that up!

Eating has always been emotional for me. I've tried the diets, had some success but usually gained back. Remember it is just a tool, it won’t make decisions for you but it will help you to make the right decisions. My doctor downplayed the ghrelin hormone benefit, saying it’s been more successful in mice than it has in humans. I find I do still get hungry, but I can ignore it or push it aside easier than I could before. He also encouraged mindfulness and questioning why I’m eating. If I find myself wandering towards the pantry, I can stop now and ask myself “am I really hungry?” and the answer is usually no and I can walk away. Before, it was more of an emotional addiction and the surgery allowed me to change that (not necessarily break it). Again, it’s just a tool.

I also find my tastebuds changed, and my relationship to food changed. Food is just food now. It’s not an emotional substitute, it’s not satisfying, and it’s not something special. It’s nutrition to keep me going. In some ways it’s sad to lose that satisfaction from really good food (that feeling after you have an amazing steak), but that’s what got me to 342 lbs in the first place, so I will live without it now. Food is just a thing. Things I used to be excited to eat aren’t appealing anymore. The joy of food is gone, and that's good and bad.

I don't drink soda or sweetened drinks - I've never been a sweets person unless it's during that 1 week where I crave chocolate and my menstrual cycle rolls over everything in its path. But I drink A LOT of water or herbal tea - usually 100-120 oz per day. I was the same way, and drank about the same amount of water a day. After the surgery I find it very hard to drink plain water, which was very disappointing. Crystal Light is my new friend. It’s also been very hard to drink enough and I struggle with dehydration. Early on I got so dehydrated I actually fainted at work. I don’t recommend that!

I've seen tips to only sip a few ounces per hour and I'm sure this will be a behavioral thing I need to get used to. What have been people's experience with liquids? Does it get stopped just like food would or would it just flow thru pretty quickly? Can’t speak to the band but liquids are just fine with the sleeve. The thing to be careful of is when you drink. Because there’s no storage area in the stomach, liquids will push through whatever solids you ate and then you’re hungry again. You can’t drink for at least 30 minutes after eating, an hour is better. This is BY FAR the hardest part for me. I also used to gulp water and had to learn to slow it down. It doesn’t feel good when you do that!

Also, how important is it to eat low fat? I always go with full fat because the LF is usually added sugar which is bad for my blood sugar control. Also, I'm sensitive to sugar substitutes (other than stevia which I can tolerate ok-ish). I try to do lower fat because I’m trying to keep my macros balanced. So if I have tuna with mayo, I have low fat mayo (or better yet, no mayo). I have a specific list from my doctor on what food choices are best, not so great, and worst. I try to pick from the Best list most of the time, and most of those are lower fats or healthier fats. Moderation is the key. I find that higher fat foods don’t sit well with me anymore.

How bad was the post-surgery pain? I'm allergic to EVERYTHING that helps with pain - found out I was allergic to morphine when I had my thyroid surgery 4 years ago. I'm terrified of pain now. It really wasn’t bad at all. I didn’t have gas pains either. I took pain meds for a few days and slept through the first several days, then didn’t take them anymore. It did take a while to get my stamina back. The most painful part was getting out of bed – once I was either up or down it wasn’t too bad. My doctor wanted me exercising at 2 weeks and I was, just walking around the block.

What is the typical size of meals during post-op healing and then what does a typical meal look like when you're past the healing stages? I've seen 4 oz and I've seen 1/4 to 1/2 cup but I'm a visual person so it hard to imagine. Every surgeon is different and there is no universal plan that they all agree on. I listen to mine and have done exactly – precisely – what they say and have been ahead of their expectations. I don’t count calories (I do log them on MFP more out of curiosity than anything else). I track macros – protein, carbs, and fats. I weigh everything I eat. I recently moved from 4oz per meal to 6 oz per meal and I am FULL. (get yourself a set of measuring cups, that will help with the reference. 4 oz is half a cup. 6 oz is ¾ c.)

Right after surgery you’re on liquids only and you won’t want solid food anyway. I HATED the shakes but had to suffer through it (people on here still drink the shakes, I don’t know how they stand it. I never want to see a shake again!). It’s so exciting to switch to pureed foods. Pureed chicken sounded so gross before surgery, but once I could eat it, it was the greatest thing ever. Remember the liquid stage and the pureed stage don’t last forever. They are only blips in your life on the way to better things.

A meal now looks like this: 50% protein, 25% veggies, 25% fruit/carbs. That’s balancing the macros.

Before surgery I used a meal kit service called Green Chef, and I’ve gone back to it. It’s fantastic and I love it. I sometimes have to supplement it with extra protein, but I get a box a week of fresh, healthy paleo food delivered to my door, and one of their meals can last me 4 or 5 meals. I get boxes for 2 weeks then I have to take a week off to finish the leftovers, because it’s just too much food. I don’t have to buy special bariatric food, I don’t have to agonize at the grocery store. It’s working well for me. I still weigh all my portions, though.

For breakfast everyday I have 4 oz of egg whites, a sprinkling of mozzarella, and 2 slices of Canadian bacon. It’s perfect for me and is a high-protein start to the day.

Grocery trips are minimal now. I get deli meat (turkey and chicken), string cheese, mozzarella, egg whites, fruit (usually blueberries and oranges), and proteins like ground turkey and fish.

I hope that helps! Good luck to you!

• Miss_Hattie
    Miss_Hattie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am prepping for a duodenal switch and I appreciate the feedback you gave to the person that asked. It helps me feel better to learn and hear what others have gone through. I have a question..... when you are in the pureed stage, would it just be easier to buy baby food?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    I am prepping for a duodenal switch and I appreciate the feedback you gave to the person that asked. It helps me feel better to learn and hear what others have gone through. I have a question..... when you are in the pureed stage, would it just be easier to buy baby food?

I did as i didnt have help at home. Half of a first stage jar thinned with gravy or milk was enough for me
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Some background: I'm 5'6 and 260 lbs. diabetic, hypothyroid and PCOS'er. I've always been obese. I'm leaning heavily towards the band because it's adjustable and I feel like me having some responsibility/control over it is a good thing.
    I got a sleeve. My HW was 316 and CW is 175. I lost 60 lbs prior to surgery. I have PCOS and it didn't resolve itself losing weight. A lot of surgeons don't do bands any longer because of the high rate of complications. I would advise against it.

Cardio is good, but also lift heavy. It will help increase/preserve muscle and burn more fat.

When you go low carb almost all sweet cravings will go away.

The farther away from surgery the more liquid you'll be able to drink at once, but never with food. It's pretty uncomfortable.

I eat LCHF. Fat will fill you up for longer and will help your diabetes and hormonal problems.

The most pain I had was from all the gas they pump into your abdominal cavity to do the surgery. The incision pain was manageable after a few days.

I can't eat more than 4 ounces of food.

Meats, veggies, cream, butter, cheese, cold cuts, eggs, mayo, oil, bacon.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options

My surgeon was adamant that I did not just buy baby food. His reasoning was that it contains other ingredients and preservatives, not just the pureed food itself, and you don't actually know what you're putting in your body at such a sensitive stage. His second point was that it's how you start thinking of actually preparing your own foods and cooking for yourself, not taking the easy way out and buying pre-packaged food. The pureed stage wasn't fun but it was easier than I had expected, too.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Agree with @AllisonMart that it's definitely good habit to get into preparing meals so you can control what it is you are eating
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    Guess it depends on surgeon

Mine recommended them but we were put on puree straight after gastric bypass.... lucky for me the nursing staff "forgot" to feed me for 3 days along with forgetting all fluids lol

First puree i had in hospital hurt so bad i screamed and had to be shot up with morphine
  • TracyFalk69
    TracyFalk69 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved 3/20/17 - my surgeon won't do the band either, too many complications and revisions needed he said. Drinking enough has been tough for me, I drank only water before surgery and probably 100 oz a day but now I'm still learning how to drink enough and not with meals is still hard for my brain to remember. Not much pain, I felt like i had a bad flue for the first two weeks; didn't do much but drink water and some bone broth then cream soups with unflavored protein powder added. I HATED protein shakes, sf popsicles and sf jello - everything was too sweet!! Now I'm eating about a half cup of regular food per meal, mostly protein but getting veggies in when I can. I eat string cheese, but otherwise full fat cheese - small portions. My proteins are about 3 oz servings, mostly chicken breast (I get the premarinated from Wegmans and even though my husband grills it it's softer due to the marinade), also alot of tuna, deli chicken and shrimp - I buy a bag of frozen and defrost what i need. I went through a "taco bowl" phase where i'd eat a 1/4 c of ground turkey with taco seasoning, 1/4 cup re-fried beans and some cheese on top, YUM! I have one for lunch today!! Good luck on your journey!!