Suddenly Starving

Options
shaverssusan
shaverssusan Posts: 4 Member
Hey all, newb here... I have been following SBD for a little over a month and I have lost 11.5 pounds. I have really enjoyed how I have been able to eat around at or slightly below my calorie goal (as set by MFP) each day with a macro breakdown around 15% carb 60% fat 25% protein and feel very satisfied and generally not hungry. Unfortunately, I have seen a sudden increase in my appetite for the last few days with no major changes to my diet, and I don't seem to feel satisfied with anything. In fact, I just ate an entire can of tuna with mayo, avocado and a couple of cherry tomatoes, and I feel like I haven't eaten in hours even though I had a good lunch just 2.5 hours ago! (Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I wasn't sure where to look!). I'd love some advice... should I try adding fat, protein? Any other ideas?

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    TbH, @shaverssusan , you're only just into it, so I think it may take a while, a bit hit-and-miss, to find your rhythm... I've been doing this in earnest since March 27th of this year, and I've only just found a system of eating that suits me well.
    Personally, I eat a good, 'normal-sized' evening dinner (though not too late) then have nothing until morning, when I have a customary, typically-British cup of tea. Then I'm perfectly happy and satisfied to go on until about 3pm or so, with nothing at all, and then at that time, I'll have a small snack; say a cup of bone broth, a couple of Brazil nuts and 5 large green olives.... this keeps me going until around 8pm, when I have my main meal.

I'm not suggesting this is what you should do, or that this would also work for you. But I'm just saying it took me a while to engineer a way of eating that fitted in well with both my schedule and my physical system, appetite and hunger.

Up your proteins a little and maybe your fats too. Not by much, but see if you can compensate the carb amount, or maybe increase your calorific intake, (by adding more proteins, and then adjusting your fats too....)

What are your calories set at, may I ask?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hey all, newb here... I have been following SBD for a little over a month and I have lost 11.5 pounds. I have really enjoyed how I have been able to eat around at or slightly below my calorie goal (as set by MFP) each day with a macro breakdown around 15% carb 60% fat 25% protein and feel very satisfied and generally not hungry. Unfortunately, I have seen a sudden increase in my appetite for the last few days with no major changes to my diet, and I don't seem to feel satisfied with anything. In fact, I just ate an entire can of tuna with mayo, avocado and a couple of cherry tomatoes, and I feel like I haven't eaten in hours even though I had a good lunch just 2.5 hours ago! (Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, I wasn't sure where to look!). I'd love some advice... should I try adding fat, protein? Any other ideas?

This happened to me late last night and I literally pigged out on fats and protein. Lost a pound of weight overnight.

On LCHF when I do get really hungry I eat and eat but it happens quite seldom. Even then I doubt if I go over 3000 calories those days.

Best of continued success and welcome to MFP forums.

• shaverssusan
    shaverssusan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It just threw me off being so hungry after being so happy eating fewer calories before. I ended up eating some chicken and lots of vegetables marinated in olive oil for dinner and I am comfortably full for the first time today. I am going to take your advice and eat (fat and protein) and hopefully this phase will pass...
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I agree with everyone who posted above about hunger coming in waves. Some days you won't feel hungry and other days you'll feel you can keep eating. Also, I've noticed I feel more hungry on days I don't drink enough water. Now that I'm consciously drinking 1 gallon per day, I've noticed my hunger hasn't been an issue. On days that I feel ravenous, I'm not even close to my water goal.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It just threw me off being so hungry after being so happy eating fewer calories before. I ended up eating some chicken and lots of vegetables marinated in olive oil for dinner and I am comfortably full for the first time today. I am going to take your advice and eat (fat and protein) and hopefully this phase will pass...

I go many days eating very little, and then suddenly I could eat a whole side of beef if it was available. Like SunnyBunny says, ebb and flow like a tide. As long as most days are I'm not very hungry, you are fine.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

I know I seem to post this possibility often but that's because... in my experience this is what it's often found to be my culprit! But, is it around that time of the month?
  • ut26a22
    ut26a22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know I seem to post this possibility often but that's because... in my experience this is what it's often found to be my culprit! But, is it around that time of the month?

This is also usually the culprit for me. It seems like the 3 or 4 days before shark week I am starving and my calorie needs go way up. Once shark week arrives I am hardly hungry and my intake goes way down. I even end up doing a 2 or 3 day fast sometimes because I just didn't think about eating and wasn't hungry.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

This happened to me late last night and I literally pigged out on fats and protein. Lost a pound of weight overnight.

On LCHF when I do get really hungry I eat and eat but it happens quite seldom. Even then I doubt if I go over 3000 calories those days.

Best of continued success and welcome to MFP forums.

Very jealous! I never up my protein and fat when hungry and lose! I try but it doesn't happen for me. BUT it does for many, I find if I can get past a "wave" of hunger it subsides and I can go along time without feeling hungry again. For me it surely seems to be a mental exercise, where my body says I should be hungry you normally eat now so eat. Hunger signals sent but if I surpress them I am good for awhile. I now tell my mind "I have plenty of stored calories for me to work on for awhile"