IF: day 4

Options

Replies

• ladyj22
    ladyj22 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you! How do I calculate my macros? I'm 34, 135 pounds, 5'6 and I work out 5 to 6 times a week. I'm wanting to lose a little fat and tone. My calorie goal is set at 1370.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

I started 16:8 two days ago & on day 1 it felt weird not to eat right when I got up but I realized I wasn't hungry & I'd just been eating out of habit! So today was no problem. Feeling hopeful this will help heal my insulin resistance.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm doing alternate day IF, it is going well and I like that I can eat at maintenance on the alternate days.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    ladyj22 wrote: »
    Thank you! How do I calculate my macros? I'm 34, 135 pounds, 5'6 and I work out 5 to 6 times a week. I'm wanting to lose a little fat and tone. My calorie goal is set at 1370.

Well, since this is the LCHF board, the first step would be to determine what you want your carb limit to be. Anything below 150g or so could be considered low carb, all the way down to 20g or less for those folks shooting for guaranteed ketosis.

http://1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ is a site I like for playing with macros. It's LeanGains-based so it differentiates between rest days and lifting days, but you can set them to be the same if you want to eat the same macros each day.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    ladyj22 wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/comments/5r8t6z/the_ketogains_macro_calculator_and_how_to_set_up/
  • retirehappy
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    So I've started IF (16/8).
    Day 1 was ok, day two was really had, day three was nearly unbearable.... day four, I woke up with zero hunger! Of course once my husband made bacon and eggs I felt hungry, but I'm drinking my black coffee and staying strong.

Anyone else find that starting IF was hard? How long did it take to acclimate?

So, how is it going on the IF protocol? I have now done two longer extended fasts. I think I could do these a few times a month now.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Day 1 was ok, day two was really had, day three was nearly unbearable.... day four, I woke up with zero hunger! Of course once my husband made bacon and eggs I felt hungry, but I'm drinking my black coffee and staying strong.

So, how is it going on the IF protocol? I have now done two longer extended fasts. I think I could do these a few times a month now.

It was going really really well... then I woke up one morning and was beyond hungry. I was so hungry that I couldn't think about anything else! So, I listened to my body and had some bacon and eggs! The next day, I was perfectly content with my 16/8 schedule.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea to me @CRZYFTM , heed your hunger signals. I'm always so excited that mine work now, both on and OFF. Still a novelty!

I've been doing roughly 16:8 for a week now & it's been much easier than I expected. I used to wake up starving but on Keto I don't, so waiting until 10 or 11 to eat is fine.

I'm really hoping I'm helping to reset my insulin levels downward. I'm not working with a doctor but I've been doing a lot of research & I see now that I'm likely insulin resistant & probably have hyperinsulinemia. I'm so glad to have found all this out & come back to LCHF after years of just low carb (not low enough it turns out) and now IF to hopefully heal all this mess inside me & prevent future disease.
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @CRZYFTM - Glad the IF is going well for you.

I started the 16/8 IF (cold-turkey) 20 days ago. Discovered I had been doing this on the weekends for a very long time, so made the transition easy for the weekdays. Sometimes I get hunger pains in the morning, but I know there is a trigger there I am quickly overcoming.

Previously, I'd jump in my car in the morning before work, grab some garbage-y foods, and eat before clocking in. I know I took in way too many calories and junk. This IF protocol helps keep me in line to readjust to a healthier state of mind. (I also find I feel a little more energized without that carby load in the morning).

If I feel a grumble: I down some water, tea, keto-aid.... wait 15 minutes and the 'hunger' subsides.

Thank you, coffee!..... lol
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting IF and enjoying it, You have motivated me to try 16:8 IF. Just wondering What are your biggest hurdles?

It seems like this might be completely do-able for me because I really never ate breakfast until late anyway.

I gained 40 pounds doing something similar by the clock, but not necessarily by foodstuffs.

My (former) schedule where I gained weight:

I get up around 7:30 am, rush around and get to work by 9:30am. At 10am I have my first cup of coffee with cream, grab an apple, handful of raisins, maybe a bagel if someone brought some in. I work until lunch, eat lunch around 12:30-1pm, either go out some place or eat in the café, or bring something, then I munch on chips, pudding, whatever is in the café, (nibble on free stuff) around 3pm. I leave grab dinner and a drink out at a restaurant/bar on my way home at 5pm, so I'm usually done eating by 6:30. Go home, ......Then have a couple of alcohol drinks until I pass out at 11pm, rinse repeat.

*IF* I IF, that would mean just cutting out the alcohol, chips, bagels, pudding, snacks and keeping it LCHF? IF I stop going out and really watch portions (which would save tons of $$$), I would shave off a half hour of my usual eating schedule. Go for walks in the evening, drink coffee and tea at night.

Is that what you are doing? What does a day look like for you?
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @CRZYFTM - Sweeeeeet!! Congrats! :smiley:
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!!

I've been doing 16/8 for about 6 months now and it hasn't really done anything for my weight loss but I feel better! And today I'm doing my first 36 hour fast and its been 23 hours so far and I feel totally fine and soon I'll go to bed and when I wake I will eat bacon and eggs! This seems to be working for me too!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I heeded my hunger signal then went right back to my IF schedule. Woke up this morning slightly down in weight but more importantly an inch down in my waste! Funny how it works like that!

I hoped knew it would get around to poop sooner or later. ;)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    @slimzandra you described your former routine that led you to too much weight gain -- what does a current day for you look like, and how long have you been at that?
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @kirkor What I have recently been doing?
    Well, here's my recent trend in a nutshell. What worked for me in 2015 when I first started LCHF -I lost 40 pounds.

I started eating breakfast at 7am -1-2 eggs mixed with cream, cinnamon, spinach and kale and coffee with cream.
    Lunch - can of tuna or 6oz of chicken or steak, bacon, and spinach/kale/ leafy greens
    snack - few almonds.
    Dinner - 6 oz meat or fish or boiled eggs with broccoli or cauliflower with parm cheese.
    Snack 1c. Strawberries.
    2 glasses of wine on weekends only.

I lost 40 in 2015 doing pretty much that for 7 months. (April-November)

Then in December 2015- thru January 2017 I pretty much introduced the alcohol back in, with lead to more snacking at night and during the day and the earlier post routine. More stress, no exercise. munchies during the day. Then, when I was back to 178, I knew I had to put the brakes on again.

I was gaining and losing the same 4-5 over and over until May 1st.

I started the above routine again with 3 meals, little or no snacks, stopped the martini(s) at night, stopped going out after work. Started walking again. I'm down 5 again since April.15.17. Seems to be more difficult this time. I'm having a bad reaction to eggs now. I thought maybe a good kick start with IF might help. Since I really don't like eating in the morning. I did find however, eating a morning meal seems to keep my afternoon cravings more in check.

As a side note, in trying to find out what works for me, and a WOE I can sustain, I just read Dr. Gundry's Diet evolution. He suggests ricotta and cottage cheese as another source of protein. The meal plans haves some good ideas for variation. He strongly doesn't like any sweeteners or sugars or white or beige foods. Encourages high protein, doesn't advocate fat. Seems critical of strict LCHF. You should avoid salt. Doesn't advocate strict animal protein, which is high in iron which he believes is not good over the long haul. I'm still trying to put the pieces together.
  • LizinLowell
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I fasted longer than usual, by just about 2 hours more, then ate a normal sized lunch & my stomach hurts like I ate a whole thanksgiving dinner! Is that a common thing? Do folks normally break fasts with smaller amounts of food?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @sixaround1 If you have a touchier tummy it often means you have to break a longer fast with a bit less food, or maybe food not quite so rich in fats (not sure what you ate...). I find a great help with info on longer fasts is a Facebook page I belong to: https://facebook.com/groups/459769974182105/
    It's a closed group to avoid trolls/LC or IF haters.
    "Fung Shweigh for Diabetes/Metabolic Issues inspired by Dr. Jason Fung"
  • retirehappy
    Options

It was going really really well... then I woke up one morning and was beyond hungry. I was so hungry that I couldn't think about anything else! So, I listened to my body and had some bacon and eggs! The next day, I was perfectly content with my 16/8 schedule.

I pay attention to the signals, I do IF about 4-5 days a week, not the same ones either, but some mornings, especially during allergy season, my body screams out for something. I do find myself doing IF more now that I have added extended day fasting to the mix. 3-5 day ones so far. I am fasting currently, was going to break it this AM, but had no hunger, so I think I will be extending it through tomorrow as well.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @canadjineh Thanks for the tips! It was steamed egg, which is 3 eggs with broth, water, and a little oil. I think it was the volume that did it. Normally I break fast with a small slice of almond meal toast. Learned my lesson!!