Sunny_Bunny_
Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
Check out “What's with Wheat” on Netflix
https://www.netflix.com/title/80175827?s=i

Replies

• PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know. I've been watching a lot of food related documentaries on Netflix, currently watching "In The Defense Of Food". I am so frustrated, angry, sad at what has happened over the years to our food. It's hard to know who to trust or believe because it all just follows the money and not telling us the truth.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for that!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'll have to look it up.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Just added it to my queue. I watched The Widowmaker on Netflix over the weekend. For any who have not seen it, I would recommend it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Added both to my treadmill queue.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know. I've been watching a lot of food related documentaries on Netflix, currently watching "In The Defense Of Food". I am so frustrated, angry, sad at what has happened over the years to our food. It's hard to know who to trust or believe because it all just follows the money and not telling us the truth.

Don't get frustrated...you now have the knowledge and have the means to make the best food choices for you and your family when you shop and prepare. I am enlightened and know that I am in the top 1% of healthy eaters, not manipulated by the big food companies and government (who are paid off by the big food companies).

Sure the food pyramid is a joke and needs to be turned upside down. but the tide is shifting. A report came out yesterday that babies should not be given fruit juice. Yep, and I said it before the reporter - "because of the sugar". So sugar is now being given the look it always should have, what do carbs break down into - sugar. So it will probably take a while, but I think the heavily processed, chemically created, high sugar/carb foods - will be known to the masses as the reason why our country has such a high rate of obesity.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

In defense of food is my FAVORITE non-fiction book. I had no idea there was a documentary! Adding THAT to my treadmill queue too!
  • cstehansen
    Options

It is great watching these documentaries. However, please know you need to do some of your own research on them as not every documentary can be trusted. All documentaries have a slant. Some slant to the point of ridiculousness. The best example is Forks Over Knives. They did a great job of citing studies which made it very easy to look at the studies to see that what was in the documentary is actually 180 degrees from what was actually shown. This is one of the critiques of that film if you have someone who is trying to force the low fat "plant based" diet down your throat with this movie:

https://deniseminger.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

In defense of food is my FAVORITE non-fiction book. I had no idea there was a documentary! Adding THAT to my treadmill queue too!

I really liked that book as well. Adding that and What's with Wheat. Thank you!! @PaulaJSchiller and @Sunny_Bunny_
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sure the food pyramid is a joke and needs to be turned upside down. but the tide is shifting. A report came out yesterday that babies should not be given fruit juice. Yep, and I said it before the reporter - "because of the sugar". So sugar is now being given the look it always should have, what do carbs break down into - sugar. So it will probably take a while, but I think the heavily processed, chemically created, high sugar/carb foods - will be known to the masses as the reason why our country has such a high rate of obesity.

Not necessarily disagreeing with anything you're saying. I do believe at least "part" of what's causing obesity is the engineered food. IMO at least another rather significant part comes from misinformation regarding diet/fitness out there too.

I've almost finished a book called Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, it basically talks about a lot of the physiological effects of prolonged stress. As many of us are painfully aware hormone profiles can really have a drastic impact on body composition and metabolism. It's immensely complicated, but I do thing it also plays a pretty significant role too. Prolonged stress (from work, finances, social interactions,etc) are a relatively recent thing from an evolutionary standpoint, and our main sources of stress in the western world. None of those types of stressors generally alleviate quickly either, as opposed to acute existential stress (think life of death type stuff).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    medic2038 wrote: »
    I've almost finished a book called Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, it basically talks about a lot of the physiological effects of prolonged stress. As many of us are painfully aware hormone profiles can really have a drastic impact on body composition and metabolism. It's immensely complicated, but I do thing it also plays a pretty significant role too. Prolonged stress (from work, finances, social interactions,etc) are a relatively recent thing from an evolutionary standpoint, and our main sources of stress in the western world. None of those types of stressors generally alleviate quickly either, as opposed to acute existential stress (think life of death type stuff).

I love Sapolsky's books and have had this on my Kindle for a while, must get to it soon.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    -It is great watching these documentaries. However, please know you need to do some of your own research on them as not every documentary can be trusted. All documentaries have a slant. Some slant to the point of ridiculousness. The best example is Forks Over Knives. They did a great job of citing studies which made it very easy to look at the studies to see that what was in the documentary is actually 180 degrees from what was actually shown. This is one of the critiques of that film if you have someone who is trying to force the low fat "plant based" diet down your throat with this movie:

https://deniseminger.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

I agree, everyone needs to do their own research, but it isn't easy. It seems that even among the "experts" there is a lot of controversy and disagreement. One researcher will site all the studies and research to back their point of view, only to find out, by another researcher that the results are false, paid for by (or paid OFF by) the very corporation it is trying to promote(or condemn).

I have read enough to believe grains and inparticularily wheat should not be at the bottom of the food pyramid and the biggest part of our diets. But for every person who believes as I do there is an equal amount of people who believe it is the LCHF WOE that is unhealthy. Heck, most health professionals disagree with this WOE.

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I started watching and eventually switched it back over to a show about buying historic homes in parts of England I've never heard of. Seriously, though, if they want people to get the message they need to make it sound more interesting.
  • Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen I was watching Allan Savory just last evening. I swear that stuff makes me want to go buy a farm. Need to win a lotto first tho.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Bouddie wrote: »
    @cstehansen I was watching Allan Savory just last evening. I swear that stuff makes me want to go buy a farm. Need to win a lotto first tho.

So far I have a garden and have plans to get chickens next year for the eggs. I don't think I can convince my wife to move to a place big enough to do more than that.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My Mom always said if I believe half of what read and hear then divide that by 2, I'll be close to the truth. Works for me. Doesn't have to be "truth" for others.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Finally got to watch In Defense of Food straight through today. Really enjoyed it. Thanks again for posting.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    My Mom always said if I believe half of what read and hear then divide that by 2, I'll be close to the truth. Works for me. Doesn't have to be "truth" for others.

Like Stephen Phinney said, the tough part is figuring out which half to keep.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    kpk54 wrote: »

Like Stephen Phinney said, the tough part is figuring out which half to keep.

:p