Plus Size Athletic Wear - Where to buy?

in_faith
in_faith Posts: 42 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
I wear plus size clothing, and it has not been easy finding board shorts (Bermuda length, for pool) or athletic long-sleeved tops or pants. (I will not wear a bathing suit, athletic capris or tight pants :# ... just regular loose pants.)

Nike recently added some plus items, so that is great. Target rarely has long-sleeved tops and good pants.

If you have any other suggestions of where to buy them, please let me know.

Also please feel free to add me as a LCHF friend.

Best ahead!!! :)

Replies

• Alaplum
    Alaplum Posts: 169 Member
    I can't tell you where to find what you're looking for because finding long sleeved tops has been a difficult thing for me too. I have arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger and I do not want those uncovered. Yet time and again, I find sleeveless tops in the plus stores. Blows my mind.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Wear ordinary full 100% cotton wear. Do not use fabric conditioner.

Done.
  • sas1uk
    sas1uk Posts: 37 Member
    Good advice AlexandraCarlyle :) When I began this WOE, I bought LOTS of 'Plus' sized fitness wear because no 'diet' had been sustainable for any length of time before, so why should THIS be different?
    I'm now 100lbs lighter and have gone through several sizes of fitness wear ( and lots of cash!) on the way!!!
    Just wear ordinary cotton leggings / tops and save your money for some fab 'fitness wear' once you get to your goal. Good luck.....it CAN be done!!! :D
  • in_faith
    Good tips! Know any stores that actually sell any of this plus clothing: board shorts (Bermuda length, for pool) or athletic long-sleeved tops or pants (not leggings nor capris, but rather pants)?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    A buddy of mine turned up for her keep fit session with cut-off jeans, and a t-shirt that belonged to her hubby.
    She got some strange looks, but frankly? She didn't give a damn.
    She was there to keep fit, not look the part.

Don't part with loads of money unnecessarily.

I was going to buy myself a new swimming costume, but to be honest, it would be money wasted.
    I'm not going to be this size for long. Imma gonna wait until I'm the size I want to be.....
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Old Navy Active athletic capris with a tunic length shirt are wonderful comfortable, and very fairly priced. They do have the full length athletic pants as well.
  • in_faith
    Old Navy Active athletic capris with a tunic length shirt are wonderful comfortable, and very fairly priced. They do have the full length athletic pants as well.

Thanks! I'll check them out.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Try buying Men's Board Shorts.... they come in much larger sizes and if a bigger hip to waist ratio is your story you can still put in a couple of darts at the waist to make them a more girly fit. It also isn't too hard to find long sleeved men's crew neck t's if necessary.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Bouddie wrote: »
    I can't tell you where to find what you're looking for because finding long sleeved tops has been a difficult thing for me too. I have arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger and I do not want those uncovered. Yet time and again, I find sleeveless tops in the plus stores. Blows my mind.

Pushups, dips, and bench presses are your friends.

Also, Arnie's arms are muscular, arms like his are worth showing off. :) (And not all plus sized girls have flabby arms, so there's that.)
    in_faith wrote: »
    I wear plus size clothing, and it has not been easy finding board shorts (Bermuda length, for pool) or athletic long-sleeved tops or pants. (I will not wear a bathing suit, athletic capris or tight pants :# ... just regular loose pants.)

Nike recently added some plus items, so that is great. Target rarely has long-sleeved tops and good pants.

If you have any other suggestions of where to buy them, please let me know.

Also please feel free to add me as a LCHF friend.

Best ahead!!! :)

Torrid and Lane Bryant are generally my go-tos. Lane Bryant tends to have more of the "cover up" type of stuff that you seem to be looking for, but Torrid's got some nice styles.

I do agree with the others, though -- if you're built such that losing weight means dropping out of "plus size," save your money if you can and reward yourself after a milestone.
  • RacyTray
    RacyTray Posts: 16 Member
    Walmart carries a pretty good selection of VERY affordable workout clothes by Danskin and other brands. IDK about long sleeves this time of year tho.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Champion has a line that sounds like it would be what you're looking for http://www.champion.com/shop/champion/workout-bottoms/champion-womens-plus-jersey-pants-qm1243

Zella also makes a line called "soul" I've only ever seen them at nordstroms and they're expensive but they seem to be what you're looking for also.

• RedDirtGirl16
    RedDirtGirl16 Posts: 13 Member
    I've found lots of reasonably priced athletic clothes online through Kohl's and JCPenny. Both have a wide variety of plus sized clothes on their websites that you can't find in the store.
  • in_faith
    Thanks all. Great help and tips.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    I actually find some good, comfy athletic wear at Wal-Mart.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    in_faith wrote: »
    Good tips! Know any stores that actually sell any of this plus clothing: board shorts (Bermuda length, for pool) or athletic long-sleeved tops or pants (not leggings nor capris, but rather pants)?

Have you checked torrid.com ?
  • RedMama12
    RedMama12 Posts: 8 Member
    Lane Bryant is where i get mine.
  • peggyd73
    peggyd73 Posts: 906 Member
    Another vote for old navy. Big selection online. Target also has more sizes online then in store.

I also get lots of stuff from Amazon. Did a quick search and found long sleeve active tops up to 3x