No gallbladder

Options
2»

Replies

• kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Well I'm home now! They discharged me last night. I'm doing so much better now that I am at home. I was able to finally sleep through the night without anyone waking me up which was AMAZING! I'm taking it easy on food today. Someone recommended broth so I'm doing broth with some plain chicken while I get used to having food in my tummy. I wasn't allowed to eat Friday or Saturday and only allowed liquids til Tuesday morning. Ate a couple bites at lunch and dinner on Tuesday. So I'm working on being able to eat. I did add some sauerkraut and lemon juice as I read that fermented foods and sour foods can help aid in digestion with no gallbladder. I'm taking apple cider vinegar. I am also continuing with my probiotics and adding a digestive enzyme in the mornings and evenings. We shall see if that helps. Not in much pain which I'm glad about but the belly button incision burns with pressure put on it so I'm taking it easy. Trying to walk as much as possible.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    How's the healing going, @kdz0444 ?
  • kdz0444
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss It's tough. Overall I'm doing ok and my wounds from surgery are almost completely healed but I have days where I have upset stomach and diarrhea. It wouldn't be a problem if only certain foods triggered it but it is pretty random. I'm not currently able to go as low carb as I would like but I'm trying to keep it under 100 right now. I am maintaining my weight loss so that's good. Trying to figure out what works and just letting myself heal. It's only been about a month since surgery.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I heartily recommend pure 100% non-concentrated, organic apple juice. My mother had her GB removed some time ago, and swears by a good glassful every day. Recommended to her, btw, by her hepatologist....
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of carbs!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    It's extremely beneficial to the liver though. It helps do the job the GB used to do....
  • kdz0444
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle I have read that and it seems there are varying sources that say do it and others that say don't. Right now though I'm doing apple cider vinegar which seems to be helping, fermented foods like sauerkraut, probiotics, and a digestive aid. So far all of that seems to be helping 98% of the time.
    But from what I have read the first 3-6 months after gallbladder removal can be pretty rough while your body adjusts. Hopefully in another couple months all will settle down and I can transition back to lower carb.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    You're doing all the right things. I LOVE probiotics....

Are you making your own? I ask, because I'm a demon in the kitchen when I make my sauerkraut, Kombucha and Kimchi!!
  • kdz0444
    Options
    No I don't. I'm very particular about the taste. I use bubbies sauerkraut and it's pretty much the only kind I will eat. I have tried other kinds but bubbies is the best. Lol
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    @kdz0444 *Please note:* What follows is in no way intended to be a personal criticism of you, your tastes or what you do.
    My comments are directly relating to the product and the company's 'blurb'.

Well, their pickled products are partially heated which kills of SOME of the beneficial bacteria. That they specify these bacteria are the ones that cause the pots to explode, is fatuous at best, and frankly false, at worst.
    Isolating specific bacteria at the point of fermentation is extremely difficult, so I have my doubts as to how accurate this claim is.
    Furthermore, refrigeration slows down the fermentation process to practically the point of halting it, and as such, any manner of explosions are going to be as rare as hen's teeth... I have unopened home-made sauerkraut in my fridge I've had for a year, and ...nope. No explosion yet!

We have a very high number of Eastern European subjects in the UK, and sauerkraut is a staple to them. Every single supermarket has a section of foods specifically from their countries, with labelling in their particular language, and bang in the middle, every time, is the big sauerkraut jar.

Three supermarkets had separately told me they mysteriously sell little of the stuff in comparison to other native products.
    They seem at a loss as to know why.

Having spoken to several representative members of these countries, it would appear that the reason they shy away from their own beloved jars of supermarket sauerkraut - is because they're pasteurised. So it's just like eating something acidic without the associated benefits!
    Many of them enjoy making their own.

As do I.

You really need to give it a go, it's an amazing feeling eating somehting you've made and nurtured from the get-go of a humble cabbage! :D
  • kdz0444
    Options
    I do not have the time or energy or even the space to make homemade sauerkraut. I am going to stick to bubbies because it is the best option for my family and me at this moment. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a better brand but I haven't been able to find anything that comes close to bubbies in stores.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Yeah, I have to admit, it does take time... and I don't have young children at home occupying my time and seeking my attention.

My H does that, enough for 5 kids.... !

Fortunately, his days off don't always coincide with mine, so I get some free-me time!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kdz0444 wrote: »
    @AlexandraCarlyle I have read that and it seems there are varying sources that say do it and others that say don't. Right now though I'm doing apple cider vinegar which seems to be helping, fermented foods like sauerkraut, probiotics, and a digestive aid. So far all of that seems to be helping 98% of the time.
    But from what I have read the first 3-6 months after gallbladder removal can be pretty rough while your body adjusts. Hopefully in another couple months all will settle down and I can transition back to lower carb.

@kdz0444 - just watch that ACV. For me it was FANTASTIC at first. Until it wasn't. Now I've had to drop it completely. It was causing a weird Reflux/breathing issue...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I do not have the time or energy or even the space to make homemade sauerkraut. I am going to stick to bubbies because it is the best option for my family and me at this moment. I wouldn't be opposed to buying a better brand but I haven't been able to find anything that comes close to bubbies in stores.

Bubbie's is great stuff! Yum. :star:
  • kdz0444
    Options
    @RalfLott I agree! My uber health conscious grandmother approves and that's good enough for me lol
  • kdz0444
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I don't do it everyday but about once a week or so. I have found that lemon juice helps quite a bit.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss I don't do it everyday but about once a week or so. I have found that lemon juice helps quite a bit.

@kdz0444 - One of the low carb gurus suggested upping the DE level to 2 pills with each meal. Since doing that, I've had almost no issues. My body changes all the time. It's hard to keep up. (Honestly, I think getting some liver support improved the liver function, making the extra acid no longer needed, but the enzymes still needed...or something along those lines...)
  • kdz0444
    Options
    Hmm I will have to look into more. I have only been taking digestive enzymes once a day because they are expensive and we can't really afford for me to be taking them more than once a day right now. The whole unexpected surgery and no insurance really screwed things up for us financially especially after an already hard past year that included 2 job loses and a career change and spending 5 months almost homeless. And then someone hit my car while it was parked and ran causing more financial issues but luckily car insurance covered all but my rental car. I'm sure the stress of everything isn't helping my digestion and I'm 99% sure I have general anxiety so I'm sure that makes things difficult as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Goodness, @kdz0444 - that's definitely more than your fair share of stress and burden! I hope you catch a break soon.
  • kdz0444
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss thanks! We are hoping that things get better soon. Will be paying off getting my gallbladder removed til we die lol hopefully we get things handled and I'm able to get a better digestive aid and all that jazz.