What do your meals look like during the day?

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
Once you have had surgery, recovered, and able to eat solid foods again.... what do your days look like? do you eat 3 meals a day? carbs?
I am prepared for the liquid diet post surgery but what about the rest of my life?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I had VSG March 2015. I eat whole foods. Typically 8-10 times a day. When I 'm hungry, I have a healthy snack or water. When I'm not hungry, I don't eat. I make crock pot 1-2 times a week and that gives me 4 meals or more. I eat LOTS of fruits and vegetables, meats, cheeses, beans and nuts. I try to stay away from processed food. And RARELY have refined sugar or carbs. I exercise regulary so I'm typically eating throughout the day. I estimate I'm consuming 2,000-3,000 calories a day (I don't really pay attn to it though). I'm at a lower weight than my surgeon said would be "ideal". I've been about this weight or lower for 16 months. If you ditch all the processed stuff (bars, shakes, etc) you can eat a lot and still maintain a healthy weight. Or you can eat that stuff and limit calories. To each his/her own.
  • SavannahMarett
    SavannahMarett Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had Gastric Bypass (RNY) March 22, 2016. I eat breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack (1), pm snack (2), and dinner. I quit drinking so many protein shakes about 8-10 months post op.

Here is a sample of my day:

Breakfast: Coffee and protein bar (Pure Protein) and I don't eat/drink together
    Am Snack: String Cheese
    Lunch: Breadless Sandwich (turkey, cheese, lettuce, spicy mustard, pickles)
    PM Snack: Triple Zero Yogurt
    PM Snack: Hard-Boiled Egg
    Dinner: Made in crockpot (chicken breast, marinara sauce, and sprinkle a little cheese on top)
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm 5 months post-op from VSG. Weekends might have more variety, but I keep things pretty routine on weekdays. This is what a typical weekday looks like for me...

6:45AM - Banana Smoothie (half a Premier Protein shake, half a banana, 1/4c. greek yogurt and a cup of ice)

9:30AM - 1oz. Sharp Cheddar

11:00AM - 3/4c. Chicken Salad (baked chicken breast, almonds, dried cranberries and light mayo)

2:30PM - 2c. Garden Salad (mixed greens, shredded carrots, cherry tomatoes, cucumber slices, blue cheese crumbles, sugar-free raspberry salad dressing)

6:30PM - 4oz. of a protein (typically shrimp, chicken breast or steak) and 1/2c. of a veggie (usually broccoli, green beans or butternut squash)

8:30PM - 1c. of melon chunks or 1 square of dark chocolate (the really dark kind with almost no sugar - definitely an acquired taste)

I'm still steering clear of bread/pasta/rice. I'll have a few bites from time to time (usually if I'm eating at an event), but they still don't sit well. Carbs feel really heavy in my stomach. I'm also steering clear of sweets (other than fruit). Sweets do not sit heavy in my stomach. Sweets go down super easy and if I let them back into my life as more than an occasional treat, I know it could be really easy to ruin all the hard work I've been doing. I'm trying to train myself that sweets are a rare treat not just an it's Thursday night kind of thing.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Every doctor will give you different instructions. The best advice I can give is to do what they say! I've been following my nutritionist's info religiously and it's working great. I'm 6 mos post-VSG and eating 6 oz per meal with an afternoon snack. I watch macros (fat/carbs/protein) and portion size, not calories. I hated the protein shakes and ditched them at the first possible opportunity!
    Breakfast - 4 oz egg whites, 2 oz Canadian bacon, a little (very little) mozzarella, maybe a few berries.
    Lunch - 6 oz of whatever is leftover from dinner, 3 oz of that is protein
    Afternoon snack (weekdays) - a couple oz of deli meat, maybe some berries or half an orange.
    Dinner - 3 oz of a protein and 3 oz of veggies
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am 3 1/2 years post VSG. This is what a typical day looks like for me -

Breakfast - I am not an early morning breakfast eater so about 9-10 am at work I eat an Icelandic yogurt (to me better taste that Greek and still high protein) with a tablespoon of peanut butter added

Lunch - I tend to cook in bulk on weekends so I have something to bring for lunch during the week. Usually that's chile verde, chili, some kind of roast meat or baked chicken - if it's meat it's about 4 oz with a little bit of veggies like cauliflower or broccoli rice, other foods usually a measuring cup full

Afternoon snack - a couple of hard boiled eggs, maybe some veggies and hummus, maybe a protein bar or beef jerky or a small piece of fruit

Dinner - Often I make scrambled egg whites with some chopped up turkey bacon, mushrooms, maybe a little spinach or roasted peppers, and a little cheese. Sometimes I will make chicken patties that I get from Costco and top it with some sauteed veggies, sometimes I have soup, it just depends

Generally, when I eat protein dense foods like meat, 4-6 ounces is the most I can eat, measured foods like soups or chili, I try to stick with one measuring cup full. I do love to cook and I do experiment with recipes to make them more suitable for my diet, but during the week especially I tend to be a creature of habit and it works.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! I like to see that you are having success, either losing, or maintaining while still eating "real" meals.
    I am eating a LCHF (about 50g carb from veg/fruit/flax/dairy) right now and am happy to be able to continue that after surgery.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Every doctor will give you different instructions. The best advice I can give is to do what they say! I've been following my nutritionist's info religiously and it's working great.

There is no better advice. Follow the doctor's instructions, if it's not working for you call them and create a new plan with their guidance. I followed the doctor's instuctions and went from 233 to 130. It wasn't always fun but it was doable.

My meals have evolved over the 2.5 years since I had surgery. For the first year and a half I was very strict on my food selection. I've relaxed it a bit since then. Once every two weeks I let go a little and just have something I like, still watching the portion size and caloire count. I still never consume more than 8 ounces per meal.

There are people that will tell you to never eat a carb or have a gram of sugar or fat but you have to do what works for your body. There is no right or wrong in my opinion. If it works for you it's right.

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    To give you an Idea of what real food stage can look like. Here is a link to my dietician's bariatric friendly recipe site.
    insidekarenskitchen.com/bariatric-friendly-recipes/
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Robin628 wrote: »
    Lots of good advice here. The one thing I would add is that whatever plan of attack you choose, follow the plan and don't test your limits all the time. The first year post surgery is all about developing new healthy habits and retraining your body and mind. Your new stomach just makes those changes easier. Eventually you will be able to eat more, tolerate more, and if you are constantly testing your new stomach you have the potential to fall back into old habits. Just look back at all the posts from folks who are long timers and regained weight. The bottom line is no matter what surgery you choose, it is just a tool to help get you to your goal. There is no substitute for old-fashioned diet modification and exercise.

Truth!