Anyone suffer from insomnia/disrupted sleep patterns?

Options
AlexandraCarlyle
AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
Then take salt.
Specifically, Himalayan rock salt.

Before going to bed, drink a glass of water, then place a grain of salt (about the size of a grain of risotto rice) on the middle of the tongue.
Close the mouth (connecting the salt with the palate) and you'll fall asleep before the salt has dissolved, or very shortly afterwards.

It works.
It just does, okay?
Try it.

Having suffered from intermittent insomnia myself, and an erratic and diverse sleep pattern, this has been a godsend.

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Wow how interesting! I haven't had much trouble falling asleep, but seem to wake up more throughout the night. Should I try this when going to bed, or once I wake up in the night?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Alright. I'm trying this!
    My colleague has a salt lamp and swears by it for sleep
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious if it helps if you wake in the night
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Interesting and will try it. Thx for sharing!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Seajolly wrote: »
    Wow how interesting! I haven't had much trouble falling asleep, but seem to wake up more throughout the night. Should I try this when going to bed, or once I wake up in the night?
    sixaround1 wrote: »
    I'm also curious if it helps if you wake in the night

I have found that unless something disturbs me - I don't actually wake in the night!

Because you need to drink just before you take the grain of salt, don't drink anything for up to an hour before you go to bed.
    Empty your bladder very last thing.
    THEN drink the water.

This means that as your bladder is empty, your body will use the water (for perspiration etc) and you won't need to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.... At least, that's what I have found...
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Then take salt.
    Specifically, Himalayan rock salt.

Before going to bed, drink a glass of water, then place a grain of salt (about the size of a grain of risotto rice) on the middle of the tongue.
    Close the mouth (connecting the salt with the palate) and you'll fall asleep before the salt has dissolved, or very shortly afterwards.

It works.
    It just does, okay?
    Try it.

Having suffered from intermittent insomnia myself, and an erratic and diverse sleep pattern, this has been a godsend.

Interesting, thank you for sharing!
    I've had some crazy sleep patterns for over a year now. Constantly waking throughout the night. Will give this a go. Not really interested in taking any pills, would rather try to address the issue.
    I was wondering if the loss of my thyroid and/or thyroid pill had anything to do with my sleep disruption.
    Will continue to figure out the fix........in the mean time- Himalayan salt (love it) may provide some relief.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have been challenged by needing to get up to pee at 2 or 3 am. Once my feet hit the floor, a switch in my brain flips and I am "up." By that point I have slept 4 or 5 hours, and I can't get back to sleep. After 30 minutes or so I just get up.

This morning it was at 2. I checked glucose just because I had gotten up, and it was 100. Four hours later, I checked again before breakfast. It was 114. Between 2 and 6, I had a single cup of coffee with HWC.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I've done salt before bed. Doesn't help me.
    I take melatonin, mag, herbal sleep blend (valerian, passion flower, l-theanine), niacin...nothing lets me sleep without waking at least 3 times.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    This morning it was at 2. I checked glucose just because I had gotten up, and it was 100. Four hours later, I checked again before breakfast. It was 114. Between 2 and 6, I had a single cup of coffee with HWC.

That's what's known as the "dawn phenomenon." The body requires a certain amount of glucose proper, so during times that it's not getting it, the liver will secrete it at regular intervals (something like every 4-6 hours or so, IIRC) based on need. In diabetics, the liver mistakes the "need" as being higher than reality, which is why it's common for diabetics to have really high glucose in the morning. Once insulin sensitivity (particularly in the liver) is restored, morning FBG tends to lower and return to normal levels.

Low carb can help improve it, as can intermittent fasting.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I don't usually have trouble falling asleep...it's staying asleep. If anything wakes me up: kids, dog, bladder...my brain turns on, almost always goes into unrealistic stress mode and I'm up for 2+ hours. Today I woke up at 3:00 and couldn't get back to sleep because I was convinced I had screwed something up at work (I checked when I got here - yay, I didn't!!)

I'm trying this salt thing!! How does it work?

I've tried unisom (works, but is chemical), maletonin, valerian, an herbal sleep pill that has a blend of stuff (this one's usually my favorite, but I took 2 last night and a valerian and obviously it didn't work too well).

I just want to sleep!!!! :cry:
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited May 2017
    Options
    There was an amazing Doctor, called Dr Batmanghelidj. He wrote a book called 'Your Body's many cries for water'. It was a controversial book, the main theme of which is that all illnesses, diseases and sickness should begin treatment first and foremost by re-hydrating the patient, because many times a person who's sick, will also be thirsty - more often than not, without knowing or realising it.
    In geriatric wards in hospitals, it's a well-known problem that the elderly desperately need hydration, but many of them, for whatever reason, have not had the thirst-reflex kick in.
    (I know it used to be a problem getting my elderly dad to drink more water. He was always in need, but rarely claimed he was thirsty.)
    Anyway: This doctor, who has now sadly died (in 2004), also swore by the body's needs for salt. Not processed, chemically-changed and adapted salt, with additives to keep it smooth and running - proper, natural, coarse salt.
    This is the book he wrote about it, but I haven't read it, nor do I own it.

The advice was actually given to me by my mum. How she knows it - I have no idea.

However, an internet search of taking salt before bed time, brings his advice up, as well as that of many others.....
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    So some of you are under the impression that 3:00 a.m. is "early?" As badly as I sleep, anything past 2:30 is "late." I'll give this a try. I had some Himalayan salt but discarded it because it was so difficult to use in cooking; the difference between under salted and over salted seemed to be about three grains worth.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

That's what's known as the "dawn phenomenon." The body requires a certain amount of glucose proper, so during times that it's not getting it, the liver will secrete it at regular intervals (something like every 4-6 hours or so, IIRC) based on need. In diabetics, the liver mistakes the "need" as being higher than reality, which is why it's common for diabetics to have really high glucose in the morning. Once insulin sensitivity (particularly in the liver) is restored, morning FBG tends to lower and return to normal levels.

Low carb can help improve it, as can intermittent fasting.

The dawn phenomenon was one of the first things I really looked into when I started taking my glucose readings. My first reading of the day (when it is at 5 or 6 I guess) is typically the highest of the day. I tried taking my second metformin dose at bedtime. I tried cinnamon, vinegar, vinegar and cheese, etc. I tried a couple of weeks of almost everything that people said helped with the dawn phenomenon. Nothing seemed to help. As my overall numbers came down so did the fasting morning number too, but it was still often the highest of the day.

I am all on board with the low carb. I am less than 20 net a day and usually under 10. I may give the IF a try at some point, but I am not ready yet. The low carb is bringing averages down slowly, and I am reasonably good at it by now. So far today my bg average is 104 with that high of 114 and everything. Yesterday the average was 101.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @2t9nty, I can't recall - are you on the full dose of Metformin XR (2000-2500mg)?

FYI, my dawn readings eventually descended into being consistently in double digits, but It took over a year of LC and 1000mg of Glucophage XR before bed. It seems to take about 7-8 hours before it peaks, so I take another 1000mg when I awaken, then another after lunch (total 2500mg/day).
  • BettyDares
    BettyDares Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am going to try this. I take a melatonin supplement some nights but if I take it every night it seems like it stops working unless I up the dose which I don't really like doing.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    There is no question it works. It works for me, it works for an awful lot of people... I hope you guys try it.... let me know.

But hey! Don't hold me as responsible if it doesn't!
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i definitely want to give a try! lately i have been waking up around 12-2 am to pee. even though i am able to go back to sleep usually, i would rather not have to deal...

on that subject: that peanut butter trick also worked on me too; if you wake up super early after a night of drinking, eating a spoonful of peanut butter will help you pass right back out. worked like a charm on me! hoping the salt has the same effect.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    @2t9nty, I can't recall - are you on the full dose of Metformin XR (2000-2500mg)?

FYI, my dawn readings eventually descended into being consistently in double digits, but It took over a year of LC and 1000mg of Glucophage XR before bed. It seems to take about 7-8 hours before it peaks, so I take another 1000mg when I awaken, then another after lunch (total 2500mg/day).

I am on the standard non-XR generic. I take 1000 mg with breakfast and 1000 mg with supper.

As one of those observations with my own situation, if I get a two-digit glucose reading, it is almost always when I get home from work in the afternoon. Today that was 4 PM (ish), and I took the morning dose of metformin at 6 AM (ish).

I am 7 months into the LC experience, and the trend has generally been good. Weight loss has been part of the mix too, and probably that has had an impact as well.

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

I am on the standard non-XR generic. I take 1000 mg with breakfast and 1000 mg with supper.

As one of those observations with my own situation, if I get a two-digit glucose reading, it is almost always when I get home from work in the afternoon. Today that was 4 PM (ish), and I took the morning dose of metformin at 6 AM (ish).

I am 7 months into the LC experience, and the trend has generally been good. Weight loss has been part of the mix too, and probably that has had an impact as well.

Hmm. I'll go back and watch Dr. Bernstein's recommendations with regard to IR and XR. Generally speaking, he prefers XR, if you know when you're going to eat. In that case, it's hard to see any advantage to the IR. ??
  • 2t9nty
    Options

Hmm. I'll go back and watch Dr. Bernstein's recommendations with regard to IR and XR. Generally speaking, he prefers XR, if you know when you're going to eat. In that case, it's hard to see any advantage to the IR. ??

I have seen it and I suspect it might work better. I may bring this up with the doctor at my July appt. I decided that wrt to meds I was going to try to stick with what he gave me until I had done as much as I could with them. As long as I am making progress, I am reasonably content.

Initially the meds seemed to have little impact. I was started at 500 mg twice a day and then changed to the 1000 mg twice a day when we established my system could tolerate it OK. I started LC after being very strict with the Diabetes Association diet and then going to the Zone.

Before LC, I only saw two readings (ever) under 200. They were 188 and 192. I was getting things like 350 2 hours after eating. I just checked my records. With the LC, I have only had three readings over 200, and they were early when I was still eating 50 carbs a day. My first two-digit reading was in mid December. Currently my 30 day average for all readings is 109.

I have seen 129 once and 122 three times so far this month.

Once I have established a good baseline and know what my body seems able to do with the generic IR and LC, I will be a lot more comfortable asking for a change. I still seem to be getting a trend to better numbers with what I have. It is less than a year since my diagnosis, and I have time to sort out details.