Just getting started....

_BoyMom1215
_BoyMom1215 Posts: 2 Member
Hey everyone! Today is my first day doing LCHF and I'm a little more overwhelmed than I thought I'd be. I have my meals planned out and logged for today, but I haven't done anything for the rest of the week yet. Does anyone have an open diary where I can get an idea of what you eat in a day to stay within your macros? I know everyone's numbers are different, but I'm just hoping to get some ideas to get me started until I get the hang of things. If anyone wants to send me a friend request, feel free as well. I can use all the support I can get!

-Heather

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Mine is open but I represent the most limited variety of food so you will likely not be too impressed. Lol
  • fittermon
    fittermon Posts: 10 Member
    My husband and I just finished Week 3 - I'm down 11 pounds and am just really pleased with how I'm feeling now. Heartburn is gone, swelling in feet/ankles going away, energy is up, sleeping better and I had some excema on my hands that is clearing up. Week 1 was difficult! Stick with it and the results are worth it. My diary is open!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    The thing to do is to first of all, set your calorific count for the day.

If you want to actively lose weight, set them at a lower count than a woman's normal calorific Recommended Daily Intake, which is (depending on where you read) variously between 1200 and 2000 calories/day. 2000, is quite high, and normally, I have seen that assessed as a man's RDI.

Next, evaluate the different ratios for fats, proteins and carbs.
    Mine are personally set at 5% carbs (which means around 15g's of carbs) Fat is 72g, and proteins 118g, which are respectively,
    55% and 40% of daily intake.

Then remember, carbs are what you have to watch: I'm talking potatoes, pasta, rice and bread as being the main part-o-the-meal culprits, but watch biscuits, cakes fizzy drinks, fruits, chocolate and snack treats too... These will blow your carb count out of the water.

Proteins are your main focus, with fat as the filler/added bonus....
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    I know you said you are a bit overwhelmed, and I understand that, but please look at the launch pad if you haven't already:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Pay especially close attention to electrolytes. More sodium is good, especially as you move to low carb as your body will lose a fair amount of water initially and with it, it will take electrolytes which you will need to re-plenish.

I can't really help with diary since I stopped logging several months ago. I will tell you crockpot/slow cooker is the way to go for meal prep. It is super easy to just throw in meat and whatever seasoning you like with some water/broth and forget about it. I do this most weekends to make most of my weekday lunches. Pre-preparing meals takes away much of the temptation to eat junk you shouldn't.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,967 Member
    br71hrtjnxo0.jpg
    koirzc5s5qpz.jpg
    My diary is open

>:) or o:)
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    You can add me. I'm a 40 carb a day average, and I don't do fasting. But I log everything, even my mistakes. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Mine's open, but I'm usually over 50 g (30s net), and I don't always manage to log.

Come chat in the Daily Accountability thread too, lots of newbies there.
  • grillinginthenameof
    grillinginthenameof Posts: 27 Member
    There's a thread in this group called "What does your low carb meals look like?" where you could find some great ideas for what to cook and eat.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    My diary is open, I aim for 20g net carbs, but I am not too strict about it. And I do have rare treats now and then, but I log everything.
  • jonni82014
    jonni82014 Posts: 1,534 Member
    I started today. How does one access an open diary?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    go into 'foods'. the next line down is various options... choose 'settings' and in 'settings' edit privacy....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    if you want to access someone else's diary that's not open to viewing, you'll have to seek access from that member....
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    jonni82014 wrote: »

If you mean to access someone else's open diary, just click their name once or twice till you get to their profile page. Next to their photo there should be a green button that says View Diary.
  • cstehansen
    How is it going so far @_BoyMom1215 ?
  • JessicaLCHF
    Steph_Maks wrote: »

If you mean to access someone else's open diary, just click their name once or twice till you get to their profile page. Next to their photo there should be a green button that says View Diary.

I think they have to be friends with you tho. Just send a request.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Steph_Maks wrote: »

I think they have to be friends with you tho. Just send a request.

Actually no - the settings allow for closed, only friends or for a totally open diary that anyone can view - just depends on what setting the owner of the diary has chosen.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Interesting. I wonder what mine is? Not that it matters.
  • JessicaLCHF
    I'm friends only I guess. wu6xn7al8tjm.png
  • _BoyMom1215
    _BoyMom1215 Posts: 2 Member
    @cstehansen things are going fairly well so far, thanks for asking! I'm down almost 3 lbs which surprises me because I screwed up a good bit earlier in the week since I hadn't gone grocery shopping. I think my biggest hurdle is finding "meals" to make rather than just finding random low carb foods to put on my plate (if that makes sense).
  • cstehansen
    @cstehansen things are going fairly well so far, thanks for asking! I'm down almost 3 lbs which surprises me because I screwed up a good bit earlier in the week since I hadn't gone grocery shopping. I think my biggest hurdle is finding "meals" to make rather than just finding random low carb foods to put on my plate (if that makes sense).

It does make sense. One thing that helped me is getting past the idea that a meal = salad + main dish + veg + starchy side. It is ok to have a meal that is just main + veg or main + salad or just main.

Think about how our ancestors ate after a kill. Do you think they worried about what to eat as a side dish to the mammoth?