Just told surgery is delayed :(

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
In Alberta, the process for WLS is already a long one, but I met with my clinic today for my monthly meeting and was told surgery is still another 6ish months away :(

I had my first meeting in July 2016 (referral from doctor was sent in Sept 2015) and now hoping for a November 2017 surgery date. I was so hoping that I would be told my surgery date is July/Aug - but the surgeon I am seeing has decided not to do and WLS surgeries over the summer, and his list is already long - so the best I can hope for is November. I realize that, in the scheme of things, this isn't that long.... but I have already been waiting for this since my original referral in Sept 2015! I am having a tough time keeping positive (with my diet, and in general)

How long did you wait?

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I waited 18 months to be accepted ( im in the uk and had to go through tier 3 weight loss classes first)
    I then had a further 7 months as they kept changing my date

The final change i went mad at them as they bumped me for a woman who wanted another date to fit in with her holiday....... after i had booked care for my disabled child yet again

Looking at it i was originally refferred in 2011 and had my surgery January 2014
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry it's been delayed. That's frustrating.

It's hard to stay on track during the waiting period. Try to use it to your advantage by dropping some pounds, eating better, and getting an exercise routine in place (if you aren't already).

It will be a year in June since I attended my weight loss seminar and got the referral from my doctor. I just had surgery on the 23rd.

Try to stay positive, and hopefully November is the month for you! Fingers crossed :)
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That must be so frustrating! I went for a consult with my surgeon on December 13 and had surgery on February 22.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The whole process for me was about 18 months. Mainly due to mis-steps by my doctor's office. I should have took 9-12 months.

Honestly I got discouraged and didnt work on my health in that time. When I finally met surgeon it got "real" and I started walking and changing diet. I'd say try your best to stay positive and develop healthy habits in the meantime. I'm sure it will happen though. Keep your head up!
  • Scochrane86
    edited May 2017
    Options
    at my appointment yesterday, I was told to try and maintain my weight. I started the program at 275 and am at 191 now. I am worried about regaining while waiting for my surgery. I don't really have a choice... just need to continue on. They don't want me regaining, but they don't want me focusing on losing anymore either. I have so many failed diet attempts in my life, I know it is just a matter of time before this weight starts coming back. This is why I am going ahead with the surgery... even the doctor agrees, I have done a decent job at losing, but I am still a good 60lbs from goal, and I have a great chance of regaining everything.
    Ugh, I put my name on a cancellation list, so I am praying for a call!

• MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Are you in the Weight wise program in Edmonton? I just got my surgery done on Tuesday. During my last class there was a man who was supposed to get his surgery in July but is now scheduled for December. I really felt bad for him. This program is so long to begin with, adding an extra 5 months is hard. I'm sorry this is happening to you. You are doing an amazing job! Try not to focus on November, just take it day by day. What can you do today to make sure the weight stays off? You can do It!!
  • Scochrane86
    Options
    Are you in the Weight wise program in Edmonton? I just got my surgery done on Tuesday. During my last class there was a man who was supposed to get his surgery in July but is now scheduled for December. I really felt bad for him. This program is so long to begin with, adding an extra 5 months is hard. I'm sorry this is happening to you. You are doing an amazing job! Try not to focus on November, just take it day by day. What can you do today to make sure the weight stays off? You can do It!!

bariatric clinic in Red Deer. I was hoping for an early summer date, but my surgeon announced he is taking the summer off - so all surgeries will start again in the fall, and there is already a long list in front of me :( I am still so frustrated.
    I am going to try and enjoy the summer, but at the same time - I am going to be so worried about maintaining my weight, that it probably won't be too much fun lol
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry, that will make summer difficult. Trying to find the silver lining, it will give you time to start prepping for your new lifestyle after surgery. It's only been a week since my surgery and I am finding it strange to fit in to 'normal' events. For example my children's school does an appreciation much for parents that volunteer throughout the year. I go every year. This year I will still be on full fluids so I'm going to a luncheon but can't eat lol. Or a friend of mine had a birthday and I didn't go because I knew people would ask why I wasn't drinking or offer me snacks I cant eat. I didnt feel like explaining myself all night long. I think if I had made more socially obvious decisions before it may have made things a bit easier now.