30s and Acne.... anyone else? Tips? Products?

Options
RaZella
RaZella Posts: 19 Member
Figured I'd ask. My entire life I never suffered with acne. Not even as a teenager. And then at 32 it was like BAM. At 33 it's worse than ever. Just thought I'd leave this here and see if anyone had any tips or product suggestions. Thanks :)

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Could be diet, stress, hormones, or all of the above (or maybe something different like a cream that you are using). In my case (I'm a guy so it could be different) I used a light cleanser at night (at least three times a week) with warm water and avoided eating greasy foods. For some reason some dairy products like cheese and butter will cause some breakouts. It's worth to visit a dermatologist just to do an evaluation. Good luck...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Birth control pill helped mine. When I could no longer take it, I got a prescription for an antibiotic gel--I think it was Clindamycin. Some OTC products I like: sulfur soap, Skin by Ann Webb Exfoliating Serum Goji Azelaic -- 1 fl oz, Beauty Without Cruelty Organic Aromatherapy Facial Cleanser Alpha Hydroxy Complex
  • sporangia
    sporangia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Check the products your now using to make sure one of them isn't the culprit. Up your facial cleansing routine. Products with salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, and sulfur (msm) have worked well for me. Actually, one of the best things I wish I would have discovered earlier in life are Clearasil facial wipes to use before going to bed (followed by a nighttime moisturizer).
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil. I put that *kitten* on everything.
  • Emmzupo
    Emmzupo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I seriously just got the best skin advice ever from a makeup artist. My skin is always breaking out and has been as long as I can remember, but her tips are GOLDEN. My skin looks and feels amazing right now. So:

1. Always use a makeup remover for all of your makeup, including foundation. I use Neutrogena's liquid makeup remover all over my entire face. Then,
    2. Wash. Use a gentle exfoliating face wash. I use Neutrogena's acne kit, which has a really great exfoliating cleanser that's not too rough. Trick: do not scrub your face like you would scrub your floors. "Scrub" as if you were washing a baby. Be nice to your skin.
    3. Bactine! This is the miracle step. OTC antiseptic spray. Drench a couple of cotton balls/rounds and apply like toner. Unlike toner, however, this won't strip your skin.
    4. Moisterize. I use neutogenas daily moisterizer that comes in their kit, but really you're looking for anything that's noncomdegenic with spf protection. Always moisterize, even if you have oily skin. A dab will do ya.
    5. Spot treat. If you've got zits, go back to the bactine; soak another cotton ball and hold over any zits. Do not rub. Just press.

Morning and night. Seems like a lot, but it's totally worth it.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    First you have to figure out if you have oily skin, or sensitive skin. If it's the latter, find out what irritates your skin and avoid it. It could be anything from your cellphone to your shampoo. Benzoyl peroxide face wash--get the highest percentage possible. Use once or twice a day. Use another gentle face wash for between times that is fragrance free and alcohol free and oil free. Avoid products that use tea tree oil, lavender oil, olive oil, coconut oil, peppermint oil, grapefruit, etc. They can irritate skin and clog pores. Avoid certain types of sunblocks, perfumes, lotions, bug spray, makeups, etc. for the same reason.

Products with retinol or vitamin A can thin the skin and reduce breakouts too, but they take time to work. They also make your skin bleed easily and burn in the sun easily. Foaming all day oil control wash can also help.

Change your pillowcases frequently. Keep hair away from your face. Take 1 aspirin or mild anti-inflammatory at night to encourage the swelling to go down. Grapeseed facial masks or putting an anti-inflammatory gel directly on the skin can help redness.

Hormones play a huge role, like the others have said. Genetics seems to be the main cause of acne though. Getting good sleep helps a great deal. When you sleep, your body repairs itself. But you can do everything right and still have breakouts. So don't get discouraged. Good luck!

• cgibson522
    cgibson522 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Love micellar water to take off makeup. The one for waterproof makeup makes me break out but th me regular one is great . I also like witch hazel - it calms acne and redness
  • carolynsutton6
    carolynsutton6 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I discovered I had rosacea; went to a dermatologist and she hooked me up with some creams and doxycycline. I've had clear skin (with maybe 1 or 2 EXTREMELY minor breakouts) for the last year or so - I finally feel like an adult!

Here is my routine (I've tried a LOT of moisturizers, cleansers and night creams!):

Face: Combo (normal, minus possible grease in T-zone) with rosacea
    Treatment: prescription creams (Aczone, Finacea) and 50mg doxycycline
    Current cleanser: L'Occitane Immortelle Precious Cleansing Foam (I also love the Vichy line)
    Moisturizer: Neutrogena Triple Age Repair Anti-Wrinkle Daily Facial Moisturizer (Olay has a Whip Moisturizer with SPF I love too)
    Previous night cream: Garnier SkinActive Soothing 3-in-1 Face Moisturizer Rose Water or L'Occitane Divine Cream (There was an Elemis brand I loved but it was way out of my price range)
  • lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Skin problems are usually not caused from what you put on your body but what you put inside your body. Have you considered food intolerances that might cause your skin problems?
    Have you tried cutting out legumes or dairy or grains?
  • ImChipper
    ImChipper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    • Don't touch your face
    • Keep hair off your face- conditioners and oils in hair get on face)
    • Sleep with hair in a ponytail or something (so it doesnt rub your face as you sleep or get on your pillowcases)
    • Wash your face- when you wake up, after a workout, when you get home/before bed
    • Change pillowcases or at least flip them once in a while. Face oils, makeup residue, hair conditioner, hairspray, whatever, gets on there.
    • Milk /diet can totally cause breakouts. I had gnarly persistent cysts for years, reduced my dairy intake and after a few months they haven't returned ever.
    • YES your body can take MONTHS to adapt to changes, please don't try random things for one week then drop them. Your body is adapting, producing, and running complex things at all times, give it time to adjust.
    • If you talk on the phone at work or home, sanitize that ish sometimes.
    • Drink water. DRINK WATER.
    • dont wear makeup if you dont have to. This is the hardest but your skin gets plugged and covered all day with makeup, it can't breathe, can't clean itself.
    • exfoliate and then clean regularly. Dead skin clogs pores like a mother effer
    • Ifg you must wear makeup, look diligently for healthy makeup. I switched from the general Sephora, Maybelline, etc to a brand by my skin therapy place, and it was INSANE the difference I noticed.
    • Stick to a regimen.