Modified Bariatric Keto .. Anyone?

Options
eclecticmommy
eclecticmommy Posts: 23 Member
Trying a modified version of the keto eating plan (for bariatric patients). The fat is limited more than with the regular plan. Just looking to try and change the types of carbs I eat: breads/simple carbs VS complex carbs -- not looking to severely restrict. Here is the link if anyone is interested: http://www.bariatriceating.com/2017/03/bee-keto-bariatric-plan/

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of doing something similar to this. I don't limit carbs when it comes to fruits and vegetables though. And I don't worry about fat too much. I glanced over it and the diet seems like it's based on sound nutrition.
  • sexygatubela77
    sexygatubela77 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    That's a high protein, low carb plan; not keto. It's similar to what I was doing pre-surgery. Keto is high fat, moderate protein, low carb. The ratio will depend on various variables, such as, your weight and percentage of body fat. But, regardless, it's a good diet to follow.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    what is the point of eating keto if you can't live off bacon and heavy whipping cream??? aw, this makes me sad :( I am keto now, and was hoping to carry it on after surgery, but that No No No list is pretty much my entire daily meal plan.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    @Scochrane86 I hope you're joking. ;-) Remember, you have free will. If bacon and heavy whipping cream works for you and your body go for it! I eat bacon several days a week.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @scochrane86 In my experience, that much fat makes everything...slide right through. As in, I'm hanging out in the bathroom all day, not wearing white pants kind of thing. YMMV, but I've had to make sure I don't go overboard on my fat intake.

ETA: This is post-surgery. Pre-surgery, I didn't have these issues.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My two cent's lol

Keto vs your dietician's instructions? I have no clue.

Many of us will give you the standard answer -> check with your Dr.

If you have complications, medical issues, an above normal physical fitness level etc. Your dietician may change your diet to fit your specific needs.

Whatever your choice is.....Make sure you are getting the nutrition you need to be healthy. Malnourished is not a good look. >:)

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    @scochrane86 In my experience, that much fat makes everything...slide right through. As in, I'm hanging out in the bathroom all day, not wearing white pants kind of thing. YMMV, but I've had to make sure I don't go overboard on my fat intake.

ETA: This is post-surgery. Pre-surgery, I didn't have these issues.

Lol im rny and tend to be constipated no matter how much fat i eat. I shall wear white pants in your honour....... well maybe once im smaller lol
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    With high fat, is be worried about dumping.... I've never experienced it (2 weeks post-op now) & hope to never experience it!

I know my dietician said to set my macro goals at 50% protein, 30% fat, and 20% carbs.