Two weeks of 16:8 IF

Options
LizinLowell
LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
4q2umtasz0yw.png

I started 16:8 intermittent fasting on May 16th. I'm 47, 5'8". I don't lose weight fast but looks like IF will get me there slow and steady. I'm doing strict Keto with a caloric deficit & circuit training 3x week.

I learned so much through links on this forum about insulin resistance & why CICO never worked for me & why I kept gaining weight even though I was low carb & grain free for 13 years already.

I started Keto on March 8 knowing it was the right path for me but It's so helpful to know the science to keep at it in the long run through the slow progress.

Replies

• wardenmom
    wardenmom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Great job.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @wardenmom Thank you! I've always been afraid to go a long time without protein because I worried about low blood sugar but so far that doesn't seem to be an issue for me eating keto and doing 16:8. And now I realize, that for me, eating every two hours was probably spiking my insulin over and over. Ugh.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    sixaround1 wrote: »
    @wardenmom Thank you! I've always been afraid to go a long time without protein because I worried about low blood sugar but so far that doesn't seem to be an issue for me eating keto and doing 16:8. And now I realize, that for me, eating every two hours was probably spiking my insulin over and over. Ugh.

It probably was. And that in itself made the possibility of low blood sugar more possible. The IF should take you much further in correcting the hyperinsulinemia.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ It's amazing what I've learned about the actual science and looking back on what I was doing. I'm so hopeful that the IF will help so thanks for the encouragement!
  • wardenmom
    wardenmom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Quick question. I have heard that some have Bulletproof coffee in the morning when they are fasting. The theory behind that is that the fat does not disturb your insulin. However, I am on the fence about it. Are you fasting with no calories? I am just starting out, so I am super curious.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @wardenmom So I have read a bunch of different opinions about this. Dr Fung says say a teaspoon of cream in your coffee won't break your fast and if it helps you stick with it then go for it. Some say a bulletproof coffee is OK. Some say anything under 50 calories is OK. I don't know. I put a tablespoon of Great Lakes Hydrolyzed Collagen in my tea every morning because the tanins in tea make me nauseated on an empty stomach, that's less than 30 calories. Sometimes I'll drop a pat of butter in my tea as well but not a full tablespoon. If I seem to have trouble continuing with my weight loss I'll skip the butter and see how that does. I think we basically have to experiment on ourselves since everyone reacts differently.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    wardenmom wrote: »
    Quick question. I have heard that some have Bulletproof coffee in the morning when they are fasting. The theory behind that is that the fat does not disturb your insulin. However, I am on the fence about it. Are you fasting with no calories? I am just starting out, so I am super curious.

It's basically better than not fasting at all. But technically, you're right, it's not fasting by definition.
    If you just cannot do it without the BPC, then you're better off just having it. But you're even better off if you fast traditionally.

Many people start with something then slowly use less and less. Kind of like fasting with training wheels. I myself used MCT oil and half n half for quite a while before finally kicking it. I think I may have had better progress in the early days if I hadn't used so much added fat, but I've still come a long way.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I do my 16:8 w/o any food, just 2 cups of black coffee when I get up, salt and water later, sometimes herbal tea. Late supper and a midnight snack for eating window. When I get home from work at 5:30 AM sometimes I feel like a snack before I go to bed. If I feel like I just can't ignore it I'll drag my finger through the butter and then head off to sleep til 1 PM or so.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    I really appreciate hearing everyone's experiences, thanks for sharing!! I'm doing my tea without butter this morning but I am using the collagen for reasons stated above, it's like 22 calories per tbs. I hope it doesn't skew my fast too much. Since drinking broth during fasting is encouraged by Fung & others, it seems like it should be ok.