Dairy free ideas for full fluid/puree stage

Options
I am lactose intolerant, most of the suggestion for full fluid are dairy because it's an easy protein. I use lactaid but after a while it just doesn't work as well. I need some alternative ideas that are protein rich, dairy free and full fluid/puree.

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Bone broth
    Soups blended and thinned with low sodium stock
    Vegan protien Shakes made with almond/coconut milk
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Have you ever tried Fairlife Milk?

It's lactose free & has much higher protein & calcium & about half the carbs (& sugar) of regular milk & I find it quite enjoyable to drink. I typically get the 2% version & think it tastes as good as regular whole milk does. Fairlife also makes skim, whole & 2% version of their lactose free milks. I've seen small bottles (11oz size) of their 2% version at some stores which are good for trying out before committing to a half gallon of it.

For more info on those Fairlife milks, I've posted the specific website links below...
    https://fairlife.com/our-products/whole-milk/
    https://fairlife.com/our-products/2-percent-milk/
    https://fairlife.com/our-products/skim-milk/

Note: Lactaid milk still contain lactose but adds the Lactase enzyme to help with breaking down the lactose in the milk during digestion but as you've noticed, after a while with some individuals, it doesn't seem to always work as well. The Fairlife milks have filtered out the Lactose so it isn't in there to begin with so there's no need to add any Lactase enzyme to their milks.
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    MrsCarrieRobinson Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will look into the fairlife milk. And I hadn't considered vegan protein shakes. Do you know of any good ones @ruqayyahsmum?
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    While I haven't tried any vegan protein shakes, I did notice one at my local GNC store & the protein amount looks quite good. The product was called: GNC TOTAL LEAN "VEGAN LEAN SHAKE 25".

The link to this item at their website is given below (hopefully, the link works correctly):
    http://www.gnc.com/plant-based-protein/GNCVeganLeanShake25.html#q=total%2Blean%2B25&lang=default&start=2
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    Options
    Thank you @BarneyRubbleMD
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I dont sorry as ive never tried them and im uk based so not sure you would be able to find the ones i see in holland and barrett
  • ECTexan
    ECTexan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Silk makes a protein nut milk now. It is a cashew/almond blend with 10 grams pea protein. I don't drink animal milk so that's what I'm using.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Also Califia Farms has great almond milk and coconut milk options
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes that are made from whey isolate are 99.999 % free of lactose and are easily tolerated by the vast majority of lactose-intolerant people. So you might look into brands such as Syntrax Nectar (not Syntrax Matrix), Unjury, or Jay Robb (also has a line of egg white protein powder that gets good reviews). You can mix with water or something like almond or cashew milk as appropriate for the flavor. Good luck!
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    Options
    Interesting, I assumed that since whey is from milk it would have lactose. Thanks for the info!
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    Interesting, I assumed that since whey is from milk it would have lactose. Thanks for the info!

It can--if it says it's made from "whey concentrate" it can have lactose in it whereas "whey isolate" is pretty much lactose free. Also be aware that some products use a combination of both whey concentrate (i.e. can have lactose) and whey isolate (i.e. lactose free) which could still present a problem for people who are lactose intolerant.
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    Options
    Thank you for the clarification, that's super helpful.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant, most of the suggestion for full fluid are dairy because it's an easy protein. I use lactaid but after a while it just doesn't work as well. I need some alternative ideas that are protein rich, dairy free and full fluid/puree.

Disclaimer: I'm not promoting or selling products..lol just a few I have tried

Two products: (sample first before you buy :) )

Nature's best Isopure zero carb protein water. Helps to hit your water and protein goals.
    114485.jpg?s=True
    Isopure_Drinks_by_Natures_Best.png?v=1478181684

40g of protein lactose-free and gluten-free zero carbs,160 calories and 10.2g of BCAA's in every bottle. I use half a bottle 20g protein and mix it with water. It helps the taste. I like the apple melon flavor.

Unjury chicken soup protein packets. Medical grade protein soup instead of a shake.
    https://unjury.com/media/catalog/product/c/h/chicken_soup_1_1.jpg
    chicken-soup-packet.png
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    Options
    Excellent, thank you @fit_chickx
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    I 2nd fit_chickx's ideas.

The Unjury chicken soup is decent & you can get individual packets to try first--just don't make it to too hot (keep < 140 degrees, I think) or it will "clump" (a small, battery-powered mixed-drink mixer works well for mixing this in a big mug)--I think this "clumping at hot temperature" thing is true for all their powdered proteins. I also like their chocolate splendor protein powder (whey isolate) flavor for shakes & their unflavored version is useful for mixing into just about anything else.

I've also used the IsoPure protein drinks (the clear ones that fit_chickx mentioned), also "water down" 50/50 & prefer the apple melon flavor too. I've also used that flavor (since it's green) & 50/50 mixture as the "cold water" ingredient for diet jello (lime flavor) to use as high-protein snacks.
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks!
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Vega is the best vegan protein powder I've found.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    Allergic to dairy (the casein protein) and found egg protein shakes (like Jay Robb listed above) to better satisfy than vegan (more complete proteins?). Now four years out, I'm off protein shakes but swear by turkey jerky and chicken meatloaves - my daily go-to-basics. I also add "Paleo Protein" egg white protein powder to foods.
  • MrsCarrieRobinson
    Options
    Great suggestions, thanks!