Bariatric Running

Options
JamesAztec
JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
Since I met my surgeon 29 months ago (surgery was 27 mons ago) I made it a point to walk more. I've tried to get my "steps" in everyday. I've probably succeeded 95% of days and currently have a 7 month streak going. As I lost weight I picked up running and have gotten really into it this year. Four 5ks and two 10ks under my belt so far with another one coming up Saturday. My goal is to do first Half in October and Full Marathon next April.

Having had vsg my body processes fuel differently which will effect long runs. Not to mention excess skin that flops around when I run. Oh, and nipple chaffing for men is a real thing! lol. I know there's quite a few runners i this group so I thought we could share tips, achievements, goals, support etc. I'm really inspired by anyone who has beeen through the surgery also and is ahieving great things!

Replies

• Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    No tips to share (I haven't worked my way up to running yet), but I wanted to say that I'm really inspired by all of the runners in the group.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Well done! You are really inspirational! I remember the first time I ran post-surgery, I literally cried I was so happy. Unfortunately all the years of being overweight did a number on my knees so running isn't something I can do regularly. I wonder if anyone else has a similar issue - is it possible to get around having wonky knees and run anyway?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Been a while since i ran on anything but the dreadmill but its a fabulous feeling

I only made it to the 5k point so didnt have the fuel issues

I find thou that i cannot drink while running as it feels like its stuck and causes me a lot of pain. The team couldnt help unfortunatley, they havnt come across any bariatric surgery runners
  • JamesAztec
    Options
    Forgot to add, I have a Garmin now. If anyone would like to connect via the app you can find me @ Aztec4Life .
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I run.everyday.rarely take a day off and I love it! The best thing for me is to run early in the morning in a fasted state. If I eat before I run I just feel a little sluggish for some reason. Before I had surgery it was kind of like that too but not to the same extent. So now I run fasted and I still drink lots and lots of water. It's funny, when I am exercising or just after I exercise I have no problem drinking massive amounts of water. During the rest of the day I struggle to get my water in. What about you?
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    Since I met my surgeon 29 months ago (surgery was 27 mons ago) I made it a point to walk more. I've tried to get my "steps" in everyday. I've probably succeeded 95% of days and currently have a 7 month streak going. As I lost weight I picked up running and have gotten really into it this year. Four 5ks and two 10ks under my belt so far with another one coming up Saturday. My goal is to do first Half in October and Full Marathon next April.

Having had vsg my body processes fuel differently which will effect long runs. Not to mention excess skin that flops around when I run. Oh, and nipple chaffing for men is a real thing! lol. I know there's quite a few runners i this group so I thought we could share tips, achievements, goals, support etc. I'm really inspired by anyone who has beeen through the surgery also and is ahieving great things!

You inspire me and made me laugh with the nipple chaffing. Here is a nip tip :o

Who knew this was a real product.https://amazon.com/NipEaze-15pair/dp/B007II2R44/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1496958041&sr=8-6&keywords=anti+chafe+for+runners

41fdlmtF47L._PIcountsize-15,TopRight,0,0_SX393SY500SH20_.jpg

Men's compression shorts. Can be worn under loose fitting shorts. reduces thigh friction.https://google.com/search?q=mens+compression+shorts&oq=mens+compression+shorts&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5687j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=men's+compression+shorts&tbm=shop

Many brands, styles, and prices. I can see you rocking a leopard print.
    d019478898df3cb9db03637c4ebfc304--men-fitness-fitness-apparel.jpg

Anti-chaffing gels and stickshttps://amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=anti+chafe+for+runners&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=182214631379&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1171305982435002304&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9029596&hvtargid=kwd-301470678652&ref=pd_sl_1oey3f2jow_b_p20

You are amazing! keep us updated on your runs. I want to see photos!

• loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I need some advice. I want to run, or at least jog. However, about 4 minutes in, I am bored. I can't seem to find the right music or something to keep me focused on what I am doing. You are doing so great at running, do you have any suggestions as to how you stay focused and not bored?
  • JamesAztec
    Options
    Fall "race" season fast approaching. Looking forward to cooler weather. My running distances and frequency has definitely lessened with the warm weather.

5k coming up this Saturday and then my first Half-marathon on October 8. I'm super excited to see how I do in that.

Anyone have races coming up or has picked up running for exercise? I see a few people doing C25K. Personally, I think the races are a great motivator to keep fit and active.
  • fit_chickx
    Options
    8K Harvest run Sept 16th. Running for time against a friend. It's been high 90s to tripple digits for this week. Hope it cools off.
  • fit_chickx
    Options
    Aztec4Life wrote: »
    @fit_chickx How did that race go?

Today I did my first Half-Marathon. Really proud of myself. My original goal was 2:30. And thought I could do 2:15 if everything went right. Then a few nights ago I dreamt I ran 2:10:40. I ended up doing 2:08:40. Other than having a bit of a head cold everything went really well.

44 months ago I weighed 403lbs. I was looking at a sad life of maybe 10-20 more years. Today I ran 13.1 miles straight and feel great. My quality and life expectancy has increased beyond my wildest dreams. Like we say in my GA meetings. IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT!

Any photos to share? :)

Fantastic! Look at all you have overcome to get to where you are right now in life. Celebrate big for this accomplishment!

My race went well. I'm doing smaller races for the end of the season. My next one is the beer and brat run in oct, then the turkey day 5K. All for great charities. I love the running community.

My goals for next year is to run some out of the area races. I have some research to do.
  • JamesAztec
    edited November 2017
    Options
    poc9v1i65kig.jpg

skl9menvjf4n.jpg

First pic was taken right before running a 20-Mile Race near Sacramento. Hardest thing I've ever done in my life. Walked a lot more than I anticipated but I finished! 3hr 45min 22sec. And then a selfie with my "bling". Next up, full Marathon in 2018!