Pre-WLS Limbo

Options
Jujub34785
Jujub34785 Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
Hello Everyone! I'm new to the discussion board. I'm currently in "WLS Limbo" lol. Still going to my required doctors visits and prepping for this life change. Is there anyone else out there who intends on having surgery this year? Please add me, it would great to have some extra support along the way. For those of you who are WLS vets...What were some of your goals during your waiting period? I know some of yall had extremely long waiting periods so what did you do to stay focused? Any advice helps. : )

Replies

• jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I had about 6 months from
    Meeting my nutritionist and surgeon to surgery date. My goal was just to lose or stay the same so that insurance would approve surgery. Lost 37 by the day of surgery and down 84.5 to date. This is a great place to get support and suggestions.
  • Jujub34785
    Options
    jcavanna2 wrote: »
    I had about 6 months from
    Meeting my nutritionist and surgeon to surgery date. My goal was just to lose or stay the same so that insurance would approve surgery. Lost 37 by the day of surgery and down 84.5 to date. This is a great place to get support and suggestions.

That's my biggest focus right now, (or maybe it's a concern). I try to eat right, but it seems that the more real the process becomes the harder it is to focus on what I'm eating and not gain any additional weight. I feel like I'm going to do something wrong even though its probably all in my head.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I waited over 18 months
    I worked on habits like not drinking with meals and on losing some weight to make me easier to operate on (my bmi was 70)

I tried to increase my walking (i could hobble the room with a stick) and made sure to do my physio at least twice a day

I also worked on contingency plans like who would take care of my daughter if there were complications and my will if i became that 1 in 300

I bought trinkets for my daughter, took loads of photos of us together and wrote her letters and cards

I wish i had done some food prep for the puree stage (we went straight to puree after surgery) as my surgeon suggested baby jars but something with more flavour would have been appreciated
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    While I was waiting for my surgery date (6 months pre-surgery program with my medical group) I focused on learning and practicing the good new habits I would need post surgery to stay successful. I was told to lose 35 pounds before surgery and I ended up losing 70. I made exercise a regular part of my routine too. I truly believe that these changes helped me have an easy recovery and also helped my success.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    About 18 months from talking to my Dr to surgery. Most of that time I had doubts that it would actually happen. Got all the way up to 403lbs. Didn't really focus until I met surgeon. Then it got "real". I cut out sweets and started walkimg regularly. Lost 35lbs in two months prior to surgery March 2015. I hover around 200lbs now which is lower than surgeon said would be "ideal". I didn't do everything right but I don't have any regrets. The important thing is to take each day one day at a time and just do your best. Follow your healthcare professionals recommendations and you'll do fine.
  • Jujub34785
    Options
    Thank you all for the insight. @Aztec4Life you're right I've been too focused on the outcome of it all. I just need to take it one day at a time.
  • mettaseigman83
    mettaseigman83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm almost out of limbo, surgery is scheduled for June 12th. It took almost 7 months from my first visit to completing all the Dr requirements, insurance didn't require anything but a high BMI and had to be done at a blue distinction hospital.