Anyone regret WLS?

Options
MyOptimalLife
MyOptimalLife Posts: 51 Member
Hey there! I was (still am?) on the Optifast plan, but I'm thinking that WLS would really aid me in many ways, although I know it's certainly not the magic fix to it all. So much of weight loss (& maintenance) is mental.

With that being said, has anyone regretted getting weight loss surgery? If so, I'd love to hear your story. If not, I'd still love to hear it.

P.S. I'm in Denver so if anyone is from the area, I'd love to hear about who you chose as a surgeon.

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Nope! It has given me happiness that I didn't know I missing out on. I'm 9 months post-op and down 104lbs. Best decision ever!!! Like a previous poster said - I just regret not having it when I was younger.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't regret the surgery. I wish I was in a mental place to have had it earlier, or understood the CICO/nutritional things I now know earlier in life so that I may not have needed it, but once I got to where I was, i don't regret the surgery.

You can read my story here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10123987/six-month-ramblings/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10376334/two-years
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Surgery is a great tool to help you achieve your health goals. If I had health insurance I would have done it years earlier. I'm in the best shape of my life and am doing things I never dreamed of.

Most importantly I'm healthy and happy and have added decades to my life.
  • jcavanna2
    jcavanna2 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Agree - my only regret is not doing it sooner! Best thing I ever did.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Like others, I only regret not doing it sooner. For all the amazing benefits I gained from it - good health, improved quality of life, etc. - I would do it again in a heartbeat.
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    No regrets yet.
  • jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I too wish that I had the surgery earlier in life however I think I had to get where I was to be committed and appreciate the tool I now have. No regrets I got my life back!
  • ppadgett62
    ppadgett62 Posts: 9 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I only wish that the sleeve had been an option when I had my lapband put in. Just did the band to sleeve revision Nov 10,2016 and couldn't be happier!
  • Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would do it over again in a heartbeat!
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My surgery was only six months ago. I've lost about half of the weight I hope to shift. I have the same regret as everyone else... I just wish I had done this sooner. I'd have the surgery again in a heartbeat.
  • GailK1967
    GailK1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Nope, only that I wish I hadn't taken 3 years to finally do it.
  • kc82
    kc82 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Never a regret - 4 years post-op VSG and still happy. It does get harder the further out to are, but that's why you must work hard early on to change your habits before they catch up with you again.
  • Wonderwomanvik
    Wonderwomanvik Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    I have had many complications... from excruciating pain... post op.., to chronic dehydration. I am in the ER at least once a month for fluid replenishment. Having said that... I am half the person I used to be... I can walk up and down several flights of stairs and am no longer prediabetic!!! Was the surgery worth it??? I really don't know... excess skin... and clothes causing rashes... but the drs say I'm healthier.,,
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm 11days post op and I regret it everyday. That being said I'm not that far out it could change at least I'm praying to God it does. I did tons of research thought about it for years and had a lifestyle overhaul. Something's you just don't know until you experience them yourself. I wish you the best and hope it works out for you!
  • Mandy_1982
    Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm 11days post op and I regret it everyday. That being said I'm not that far out it could change at least I'm praying to God it does. I did tons of research thought about it for years and had a lifestyle overhaul. Something's you just don't know until you experience them yourself. I wish you the best and hope it works out for you!

Oh no. What's going on? :/