KETO CHEETOS

JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
Anyone try this recipe? I'm gonna but looking for experimental knowledge? https://myoregonkitchen.org/2017/01/08/keto-cheetos/
6xb4xdxg7na0.jpg

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I have not, but that site "She Calls Me Hobbit" has an "iron dough" that he uses for tons of things, including keetos... I've heard FAB things about that site... I think I might have looked at this one in passing.
  • My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    to make is seem more cheeto-E This might help http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/vermont-cheese-powder-8-oz-jar
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    You had me at cheetos!!!! I'll add this to my list of recipe tests!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I calculated the calories and pouted. I'd be inclined to eat the whole batch. :/
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I have not, but that site "She Calls Me Hobbit" has an "iron dough" that he uses for tons of things, including keetos... I've heard FAB things about that site... I think I might have looked at this one in passing.

Unfortunately @KnitOrMiss ...Hobbit's website has been down for several weeks now. If you google "she calls me hobbit," what was formerly his webpage take you to a Go Daddy web domain page. I don't know if Scott decided to move his website or let it lapse or perhaps change venues (like going with FB, IG or Pinterest - I know he has a presence on all of those), just not sure what the story is with no access to his old website. :~(
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    ladipoet wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Unfortunately @KnitOrMiss ...Hobbit's website has been down for several weeks now. If you google "she calls me hobbit," what was formerly his webpage take you to a Go Daddy web domain page. I don't know if Scott decided to move his website or let it lapse or perhaps change venues (like going with FB, IG or Pinterest - I know he has a presence on all of those), just not sure what the story is with no access to his old website. :~(

Try the Wayback Machine. Some of the bells and whistles are gone, but you can still access the recipes last time I tried.
  • JessicaLCHF

I was thinking it needed that! I'll check it it!! Thanks!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Just looked it up. 3 carbs a 2T serving which seems like a lot of powder. Make out of cheese mostly. I'm gonna order some.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member

I bought some cheddar cheese powder and sour cream and onion powder at an Amish market in PA a couple months ago, they are sooooo good. I used them on roasted cauliflower and broccoli.
  • JessicaLCHF
    I'm making these today (minus the powder) - got my cheese shredded and in the freezer now. I'll post pics.
  • KnitOrMiss
    I don't think I will be in trouble for sharing the content here, but if so, just delete this post:

Yes. Keto Cheetos.
    They are a thing.
    Oh yes, quite a thing.
    I’ll be posting up more recipes soon, I know some were looking for this so I thought I’d do it first.

BTW, a few other things you can do with this dough (more recipes coming):
    Crispy breakfast cereals
    Taco salad strips
    Wontons
    Egg rolls
    Fried Raviolli
    Cinnamon Twists
    Crab rangoons
    Andy Capp’s Hot Fries knockoffs
    …and more.

The first part of this post covers the basic dough needed. You can refer to it in the future for all of the above and any other creations you can think up using it. After it, I will tell you how to use this to make Keetos.

Hobbit's Iron Giant Dough
    Servings: 4 Time: 30mins prep 120mins rest Difficulty: easy

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup protein isolate (unflavored or flavored depending on use, whey OR veggie) separated into 1/2 and 1/4 cups.
    1 tsp olive or coconut oil (melted if coconut oil)
    1 egg
    • Whisk egg and oil together until frothy.
    • Add 1/2 cup of protein powder. Mix well to combine. You will get a sticky dough. Let rest for 15 minutes. Trust me, it will look even stickier when you come back
    • Dump the additional 1/4 cup of protein on top. With a rubber spatula, mix and fold until you have a kinda dry dough with some powder still on the outside.
    • Using your hands, kneed the dough for about 5 minutes until you get a smooth, not sticky ball of dough. If the ball still sticks to your hands, put back in the bowl and roll it around until it is covered in protein again and repeat the kneeding. You want this in the end:
    • Cover in plastic wrap, store in the fridge for at least an hour before using.

Nutritional information (based off my ingredients, double-check!): Calories: 103, Fat: 2g, Protein: 20g, Carbs: 0g, Fiber: 0g, Net Carbs: 0g

Ok, let’s make the Keetos!

Hobbit's Keetos!
    Servings: 4 Time: 30mins prep 60min rest Difficulty: easy

Ingredients:
    • The Iron Giant Dough (if not premade, see ** below)
    • 6 tbsp of your favorite hard cheese, grated (Asiago, Parmesan, etc – I used 3 tbsp nutritional yeast and 3 tbsp Parmesan)
    • About 1/2 cup of your preferred frying oil (or a deep fryer if you have one)
    • 1/2 tsp salt

** If making dough specifically for this recipe, when adding the first 1/2 cup of protein, also add 1/2 of the cheese. You can skip adding cheese during the rolling process.
    • Get your cold ball of Iron Giant out of the fridge. Kneed it for 2-3 minutes to soften it up. Form into a log.
    • If you have a pasta roller, this would be a good time to use it. Otherwise, place on parchment or silicone mat and press down with your hand and flatten as much as possible. Cover with another sheet\mat, and using a rolling pin, roll out as thin as possible (this is a pretty stiff dough, would be a good time to cash in on payback if you have a teen that has misbehaved :) ).
    • If pre-made dough, sprinkle half of the cheese over the dough.
    • Fold over and over like an envelope
    • Roll out flat again to about the thickness of one blade of your kitchen shears
    • Again, you have a pasta roller, this would be a good time to use it. If not, get out a pizza cutter or sharp knife and cut the dough into strips. You don’t have to be precise, just cut to widths between spaghetti and fettuccine. Lay on a wire rack to dry for about an hour.
    • You back? Has it been an hour? Are the strips a little dry but not hard? Good. Now heat up your oil in the fryer, small sauce pan, or small skillet. Bring it to about 350F.
    • Using the knife or cutter again, cut the dough into 1-1.5″ strips toss around so they don’t stick. Doesn’t look like much, does it? Oh, but wait!
    • Take the rest of the cheese mixture and dump into a plastic bag. Add salt and shake to combine.
    • Take 8-10 cut strips and drop into the hot oil. You will need to move quickly, these fry in less than a minute. As soon as they hit the oil, they should start to puff up, then quickly brown. Stir constantly to make sure all surfaces are getting hit with the oil.
    • As soon as the get dark but not burnt like this, removed them, drop into the bag with the cheese and salt, shake, then move to a plate covered with a paper towel to cool.
    • Once they are all done, drop in a bowl and enjoy!!

Nutritional information (based off my ingredients, double-check!): Calories: 103, Fat: 2g, Protein: 20g, Carbs: 0g, Fiber: 0g, Net Carbs: 0g
  • KnitOrMiss
    If the above post was deleted and you want the recipe (with pictures), shoot me a message on here with your email, and I can forward it to you. I also saved some of the other recipes to use with the iron dough, and might have the link for the wayback machine if you need it.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Well, here's the picture. I obviously didn't beat the egg whites enough! They spread like crazy. They're kinda a potato twice baked thing? Garlic-y and cheddar-y tho. One serving (6) is about three total carbs. 3trj629kgbsq.jpg
    I'll try again tomorrow...
  • JessicaLCHF
    Or maybe like bagel chips. 0gd045i91ddc.png
    u1mwaslala9m.jpg
  • JessicaLCHF
    Actually that's the wrong sodium level. I entered garlic salt in accident. It was minced garlic in oil.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    They look delicious regardless lol
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    @JessicaLCHF
    They look like cheddar biscuits! Or some type of bread! Would they make a good breakfast sandwich with eggs, bacon, and cheese?
  • JessicaLCHF
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    @JessicaLCHF
    They look like cheddar biscuits! Or some type of bread! Would they make a good breakfast sandwich with eggs, bacon, and cheese?

They are very bread like but tiny. About the size of bagel chips. You might be able to make them bigger. They reminded me a bit of potato skins when hot, or softish bagel chips when cool.