How many calories burned?

Options
KatzJewel85
KatzJewel85 Posts: 1 Member
So I hear you can burn 20 calories per oz of milk you produce. So how do you calculate total? By how long baby nurses?

Replies

• islandrgurl808
    islandrgurl808 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I read on BabyCenter.com that breastfeeding burn 500 calories and not to cut below a certain amount of calories, so my goal is to 1400 calories a day. What's yours?
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Some babies are more efficient at nursing than others so you can't tell much from how long they're at the breast.
  • islandrgurl808
    Options
    I didn't know that had something to do with burning calories to produce milk. I haven't read that but that's good info. Although I know if breastfeeding exclusively a mom can burn 500 calories.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    More, @islandrgurl808 ;) I'm eating wayyyyy more than 2000 calories a day yet I'm still losing weight. My non-breastfeeding maintenance calories are 1600 a day. I'm losing, on average, 1kg a week even though I'm not trying. I'm just breastfeeding like crazy 24/7
  • cid_mar
    cid_mar Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to burn a heck of a lot breastfeeding. Certainly not 500 calories. Maybe 300 calories. There's no way I could pack in even 2,000 calories without stalling or gaining, unfortunately. I EBF, and my weight was creeping up postpartum in spite of this. Still playing with caloric amounts, but currently have it set to 1500 (I'm 5'3"). I was using another app and eating between 1700 and 1800, and my weight was stalled.
  • islandrgurl808
    Options
    @trjjoy wow my intake is 1400 I wasn't losing weight even when I'm EBF and I'm still having a hard time!! My goal is to at least be 145 on bday on the 19th of this month
  • islandrgurl808
    Options
    @cid_mar I am in the same boat!! I'm not losing the weight as fast even though I'm EBF
  • christinabuvb
    christinabuvb Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! Does anyone know if I would burn more calories if I pumped to save milk once a day...like the more you express your milk, the more you burn? I am EBF, though. Also, does anyone know what percentage of calories carbs, protein, and fat should be for BF moms? Thanks!