June 5 Weekly Challenge: Step It Up

Options
2»

Replies

• SpiritHippo
    SpiritHippo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...Sunday I got almost 16,000 steps, Monday I got over 10,000 (goal met) BUT yesterday (Tuesday), I was only able to get a little over 8,000 steps due to foot/ankle pain...still, that's a huge improvement from the ~3000 steps/day I was getting after my ankle/foot/right side started hurting in October...so I'll reset my daily goal to 8000 steps minimum, and get more, if I can. :smile:

That is a huge improvement. Good job and keep up the good work!
  • SpiritHippo
    SpiritHippo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Well I cant seem to get going good on this challenge, I sit behind a desk all day makes it hard to get 10000 steps; Im gonna find ways to sneak steps in :). Anyway Tuesday I had 5658, yesterday i only had 3859 and today I forgot my fitbit at home....ugh!

Sitting behind a desk definitely makes it much more difficult. I have been trying to add a few steps everywhere I can. I take an extra lap if going to the copier or water cooler, and I walk up and down hallways while waiting for lunch to heat up. Little things like that made a big difference when I was tracking steps the other day.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Well I cant seem to get going good on this challenge, I sit behind a desk all day makes it hard to get 10000 steps; Im gonna find ways to sneak steps in :). Anyway Tuesday I had 5658, yesterday i only had 3859 and today I forgot my fitbit at home....ugh!

Sitting behind a desk definitely makes it much more difficult. I have been trying to add a few steps everywhere I can. I take an extra lap if going to the copier or water cooler, and I walk up and down hallways while waiting for lunch to heat up. Little things like that made a big difference when I was tracking steps the other day.

This is great advice! I refill my water bottle and use the restroom in the building adjacent to mine (I work at a university) to add additional steps. I also eat my lunch at my desk so that I can take short 10-15 minute walking breaks 1 or 2 times a day.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I just love how supportive and encouraging our group is! Thank you all for posting!
  • tsheridan1998
    tsheridan1998 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have open food diaries? I have a very hard time planning meals, I would love to see what the successful people eat on a regular day.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    @tsheridan1998 , my diary is open to friends. If you send me a request, I'll accept. Warning- my diary might shock you. ;)
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    My fit bit finally caught up with my dashboard so
    Wednesday ..10740 steps
    Thursday......10881 steps

little baby steps...just getting back to 10,000 I feel accomplished. I'm not going to push for much more at this time just want to try and get those in. Will have a late start today since I have PT but I'm going for it. It will be pretty hot today so I may do my "normal AM in short increments. I am so glad we have this group, it really helps me as I see we all have struggles and we all try to find ways to get thru.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Ming1951 wrote: »
    My fit bit finally caught up with my dashboard so
    Wednesday ..10740 steps
    Thursday......10881 steps

little baby steps...just getting back to 10,000 I feel accomplished. I'm not going to push for much more at this time just want to try and get those in. Will have a late start today since I have PT but I'm going for it. It will be pretty hot today so I may do my "normal AM in short increments. I am so glad we have this group, it really helps me as I see we all have struggles and we all try to find ways to get thru.

@Ming1951 you should feel accomplished! You are making tremendous strides (literally and figuratively)
    In recovering from your knee surgery and resuming your activity. You are wise to not push it too much and to heed the guidance of your doctor and physical therapist. But generally speaking, they want us to be as active as possible.

And you are so right...we all have our struggles and challenges to get through. MFP has some really ambitious exercise challenges with people really pushing their bodies to new heights. With my medical issues, I could never do that and that's OK. My hope with this group is that our weekly challenges are challenging but also something that most people can do, with accommodations for their unique situation.

• Ming1951
    Options
    Thanks, yes we all have those issues and we are all working together within our own unique styles. I feel really good. Thanks for doing these challenges and helping to keep one another focused on better health.
  • Ming1951
    Options
    OK
    Friday. .. 7374 steps so I did not make my goal. My excuse is I had pt in morning then shopping so my walk was in the evening. I can do about 1 mile and a half at a time. Today I will do better as soon as I finish my morning coffee I'm off to do my am walk. Then this afternoon I do another.
  • themedalist
    Options
    @Ming1951, you always keep at it and that's a marvelous trait. My favorite blogger is James Clear and a common theme of his writings is that those who succeed at something have just as many obstacles and setbacks, but they pick themselves up, dust themselves off and get right back at it again. They get back on track quickly. Tenacity and perseverance are terrific assets, and you've got 'em! :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    I am just now seeing this challenge! Was so busy at work this week I didn't have a lot of time to log on. But I have to admit I have been severely lacking in this one. I have a torn meniscus and am getting a knee scope done on Tuesday, so I will try to be more aware of not sitting as long and making sure I get up and move since I have a desk job! I was doing really good with this during the Quitting the Sitting challenge and then allowed myself to fall back into my old behaviors of getting so involved on the computer I don't even remember to get up and walk away! This is a really good reminder to get my butt in gear! Thanks and have a great weekend everyone!
  • Ming1951
    Options

the medalist Thankyou for your kind comments. Saturday...hit my goal , today not so sure how it will go but I'll keep at it. This darn heel pain is worse than my knee. Ugh.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I am just now seeing this challenge! Was so busy at work this week I didn't have a lot of time to log on. But I have to admit I have been severely lacking in this one. I have a torn meniscus and am getting a knee scope done on Tuesday, so I will try to be more aware of not sitting as long and making sure I get up and move since I have a desk job! I was doing really good with this during the Quitting the Sitting challenge and then allowed myself to fall back into my old behaviors of getting so involved on the computer I don't even remember to get up and walk away! This is a really good reminder to get my butt in gear! Thanks and have a great weekend everyone!

@OConnell5483, what's fascinating to me about habits is it they are very strong but also very delicate. It's so easy to fall back into established patterns of doing things. I think focusing on not sitting too long is a great idea when an injury or illness prevents getting a lot of steps. When it's possible to sit less AND move more, doing both reaps lots of benefits.