MCT Oil

Options
Momma_Raucks
Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
Hey guys, I just started incorporating MCT oil in my morning coffee, tastes pretty darn good. I was just wondering how many of you use MCT oil and find it makes a difference rather than maybe just using Coconut oil as I normally would?
I only used 1 tbsp., would you recommend using more daily?

Replies

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    MCT has no taste. Coconut Oil has the coconut taste. MCT is burned faster than Coconut Oil but both have the same properties. I prefer MCT because of the neutral taste.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I used MCT as an adjunct to keto for a neurological movement disorder. I noticed no effect. Also did not seem to have impact on weight/mental clarity/hunger. Actually, I found that it did nothing for hunger. 400 calories in MCT oil (for me) really impacted my calorie allowance for no effect on satiation. I was up to intake of 3-4 tablespoons per day. I would exercise caution using that much, meaning build up to any amount slowly. It can cause digestive issues in some people.

I've read in multiple sources that refined coconut oil has no taste but I have never used refined. I've used UNrefined only and is does taste like coconuts.
  • mafhoney
    mafhoney Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Actually, I found that it did nothing for hunger. 400 calories in MCT oil (for me) really impacted my calorie allowance for no effect on satiation. I was up to intake of 3-4 tablespoons per day.

While I only use 1tbsp a day each time I try it, I notice the same thing. It doesn't keep me full at all, and I feel I end up eating more in the mornings if I add it to my americano. And for 126 calories in a tbsp, I'd rather use that eating something good. Like more cheese.

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've read in multiple sources that refined coconut oil has no taste but I have never used refined. I've used UNrefined only and is does taste like coconuts.

My husband hates coconut flavor with a vengeance, and is fine with the refined stuff (or at least he hasn't noticed...).
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Is the refined coconut oil bad for you in any way? I also use it for cooking because it doesn't taste like coconuts.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Still better than crappy fats, but it is more processed. I haven't researched how it's processed yet.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/37343584#Comment_37343584
    There's detailed discussion here on the subject.
    I used to use it and you'll see me detailing my existing that link.
    I've cut it out and now it's more often a carrier oil for essential oils because I wanted to eliminate added fats.
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a while- didn't really notice any benefit, but found if I went over 1 TBSP I would get stomach pain and nausea. I found it didn't really affect my appetite either way, but it ended up being calories that I would prefer to spend on "real" food.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    In MCT+coffee defense (I am not currently a practitioner), for those who find it doesn't stimulate their appetite to distraction, the idea behind having it in the morning is to provide satiety without spiking insulin, and so some of the benefits of the fasting state may be preserved for a longer period. If one is also eating/drinking things with protein or carbs, then ya, the MCT is just going to be extra calories.
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    All great feedback, thank you so much
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I just started using the viva MCT oil this week, I put it in my coffee, I love the texture it gives (especially since I've hella cut down on the creamer).

I had peanut butter for breakfast after drinking my coffee and it made the wait until lunch feel like nothing. I don't know if that's my starting Keto or MCT oil but I'm happy. :) Give it a couple weeks and see how you feel.