Your strangest lunches/dinners

Options
2»

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I had bacon for dinner last night and one piece of cheese. I wasn't hungry but I knew I had to have something.

Why? If you're not hungry - don't eat. If you are - do. Don't ever eat out of habit. For my part, that's how I got big in the first place!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lunch today, odd, but good:
    4 ounces chicken breast
    1/2 cup black SOYbeans
    1/2 avocado
    pesto
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I have just made these. I need to keep myself in check when they're done, and make sure I don't scoff the lot at one sitting....
    dm1sx4n62pff.jpg

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    The brine is a 4% concentration of granular Himalayan salt: That is, 40 grammes salt to 1000ml (1 litre) bottled spring water.

I added 1 garlic clove, a tablespoonful of fennel seeds, a teaspoonful of pickling spices, and 2 horseradish leaves, which keep the cucumbers crunchy. I stuffed the cukes into a tall plastic tub and weighed everything down with kids' glass marbles in a plastic net bag....

Now: I gotta wait....
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    weighed everything down with kids' glass marbles in a plastic net bag....

I wondered what that was on the top. I weight mine down with a baggie of some water. Using marbles is a good tip!

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    My strangest? A plate of deli meats, a pickle, some sauerkraut and various cheeses. It was like a party platter as a meal lol
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I had bacon for dinner last night and one piece of cheese. I wasn't hungry but I knew I had to have something.

Someone else beat me to it. In my opinion, I am not telling you what to do, you dont have to eat if your not hungry! Thats the beauty of our LCHF. Just wait until you do get hungry and then eat. But again my suggestion.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    weighed everything down with kids' glass marbles in a plastic net bag....

I wondered what that was on the top. I weight mine down with a baggie of some water. Using marbles is a good tip!

They're easy to clean, sterilise and are re-usable. Just make sure if you use this method, that there is no metal fastening clip on the net bag... the salt can react with it.... if there is, cut it off as close to the metal clip as possible, then knot a really tight knot to re-close it.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts are frequently whatever dinner items didn't get eaten the day before. I come by this honestly. My mother always grilled extra steak and made enough Caesar salad (the real thing, raw egg and all) to have leftovers for the breakfast she enjoyed after she had shooed everyone else off to work and school. I believe the romaine lettuce and croutons were kind of soggy by then but that garlic and cheese had really gotten good after eight hours.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts are frequently whatever dinner items didn't get eaten the day before. I come by this honestly. My mother always grilled extra steak and made enough Caesar salad (the real thing, raw egg and all) to have leftovers for the breakfast she enjoyed after she had shooed everyone else off to work and school. I believe the romaine lettuce and croutons were kind of soggy by then but that garlic and cheese had really gotten good after eight hours.

LOL, memories!! My dad used to eat up all the leftover Caesar Salad after family get-to-gethers (real thing with raw egg too). Yes it looked pretty slimy in the bottom of the huge bread mixing bowl (our extended family REALLY liked Caesar Salad - bread, not so much). A waft of the mega-cloves of garlic that went into this takes me back.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Polka Dot Balsamic Eggs for dinner tonight:
    sauo3hzhaazq.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Polka Dot Balsamic Eggs for dinner tonight:
    sauo3hzhaazq.jpg

they look like braised eggs, and tea eggs which we eat regularly. How are they made?
    http://rasamalaysia.com/chinese-braised-soy-sauce-eggs/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/51326/chinese-tea-leaf-eggs/
  • canadjineh
    Options
    1/3 good balsamic, 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 water, Epicure Red Pepper dip mix (just veggies and spices), salt to your taste. Pack peeled hb eggs as tightly as possible in the jar without breaking them apart, so they press against each other and the jar walls, top with spices, pour brine over, store for a week or two (2 is better). Pull em out and they will have dots from the contact points, like tie dye shirts :D .
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Wilted lettuce. ❤ My Dad worked the midnight shift in a foundry for 40 years. My Mom packed him a lunch every night and when he arrived home in the AM, he had often saved me a half sandwich from his lunchbox. It was usually bologna or something called olive loaf with lettuce that was all wilted by morning, butter and mayo slapped between 2 slices of white bread. I would eat it on my way to the bus stop. I still like wilted lettuce/old leftover salad.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited June 2017
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Wilted lettuce. ❤ My Dad worked the midnight shift in a foundry for 40 years. My Mom packed him a lunch every night and when he arrived home in the AM, he had often saved me a half sandwich from his lunchbox. It was usually bologna or something called olive loaf with lettuce that was all wilted by morning, butter and mayo slapped between 2 slices of white bread. I would eat it on my way to the bus stop. I still like wilted lettuce/old leftover salad.

In Italian, this is called 'Insalata Cotta' - or 'cooked salad'. It's basically the same or similar effect to blanching or steaming the salad, but it's been done by leaving the leaves in a vinaigrette dressing.
    Ever ready to latch onto an accident or happy incident, there are some High-Class Restaurants in Milan, Rome and other high-profile Italian cities, which actually serve Insalata Cotta as a bona fide side dish.

For a small and considerable fortune, no doubt....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Today's odd lunch:
    An avocado with Himalayan salt
    A big baggie of rocket/arugula
    A big baggie of raw cauliflower and cherry tomatoes
    A Protein shake (because it's there)
    some cello wisps (parmesan cheese crisps)
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Tiny cheddar slices, thinly sliced cucumber, whisp crisps all sandwhiched and dipped into Helluva Good Dip Onion Dip..... OH So Darn good
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Jarlsberg cheese and Black Forest ham was lunch today. The other day I had a "BLT" salad. Chopped bacon and tomato, mixed in mayo with salt and pepper, on a big bowl of lettuce. Bf gave me some weird looks, but it was really good. All the BLT flavours without the annoying carbage.