Lemon cake- actual recipe included!

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
I made this today instead of cookies. I saw someone's post about their lemon cupcakes being a flop and I wanted to try to help her out. So here's my try!
btdtw0ub541b.jpg
danfqlzz95b6.jpg
zvhb3ctr6v4u.jpg
6sioanz3hcd8.jpg

Replies

• EryOaker
    Options
    I'm going to put the recipe in the comments. Give me time to type it all out... come back later. I'm working on typing it right now
  • EryOaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Set out 4oz of cream cheese and 1 stick (1/2 cup) of salted butter in the counter in the morning. When it has softened to room temp, you can begin! (This step is NOT optional!) also, set your eggs(5) out at the same time.
    In a large bowl, cream together:
    1/2 cup salted Butter
    4 oz cream cheese
    3/4 cup Swerve
    Set aside

In another bowl, wish your 5 eggs and 1.5 tsp lemon extract and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Combine with butter/cheese/Swerve mixture. Set aside.

In another (clean and dry) large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
    1 cup plus 2 Tbls fine, blanched almond flour, 1/4 cup coconut flour, 1 tsp baking powder. Once they are sifted together (this is also not optional if you want it light and fluffy), now combine the wet and dry mixes until combined. Put your mix in the fridge for 1 hour. (You can skip this step if you are in a hurry. Just coat your blueberries(1 cup) in 1 tablespoon of coconut flour. This keeps the blueberries from sinking to the bottom and making a mess. Chilling the mixture and the blueberries has the same effect with less carbs/calories.) fold in the blue berries. Preheat oven at 350, and prep a bread pan with some spray crisco or your preferred grease. Pour batter into pan, top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and a sprinkle of Swerve. Bake for 70-75 minutes or untold a tooth pick comes out clean. Set it out and let it cool before trying to remove from the pan. Once cool, turn out into a platter. You can make a frosting or a glaze to top it or even some whipped cream! It is light, fluffy, and Devine.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    ivqmwbussk7v.jpg
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Jesus Mary and Joseph that looks amazing. What amount of blueberries? Also, do you think it would work as cupcakes if cooking time was adjusted downwards?
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at your talents. Quite!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Jesus Mary and Joseph that looks amazing. What amount of blueberries? Also, do you think it would work as cupcakes if cooking time was adjusted downwards?

I used one cup of blue berries.
    Yes! Just make sure you spray the cupcake liners too. Coconut flour is notoriously sticky! I would have to experiment with baking times, but yes it would be less time. Maybe the next time I make it, I'll do cupcakes.

If you use all of the techniques (like creaming the sweertner with the cheese and butter before adding the egg mixture, and always shifting your dry ingredients, the texture you will get is beyond amazing!!!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »
    I am amazed at your talents. Quite!

lol sorry! I can't stop! I ❤️ baking! Keto or not, I will always bake!!! Just because I'm Keto, doesn't mean I can't enjoy the pleasures of comfort foods! I just need healthier/LCHF alternatives!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    I'm going to enter all the ingredients into mfp and update with the macros as soon as I can. I have kids who keep me very busy.... please excuse me if this takes forever to do.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    @food_lover16
    Try this out next!!! This will yield a much better texture! If you make cupcakes, adjust the time and let us know how it goes!
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Awesome
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I am trying this recipe for sure. Do you know what the carbs are per cupcake? Thanks!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    This is for the batter only and divided into 12 servings. u1lumgt8hsq2.png
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    That does look yummy. Any ideas for a substitute for the coconut flour? Neither my husband or I like coconut in any way, shape, manner or form.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Try Almond flour. Can't guarantee the same result, but that's what I would use....
  • EryOaker
    edited June 2017
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    That does look yummy. Any ideas for a substitute for the coconut flour? Neither my husband or I like coconut in any way, shape, manner or form.

It is in there for texture not flavor. The flavor doesn't come through at all. You could add more almond flour but I can't guarantee the texture.. you'd need more almond flour than just 1/4 cup, as the substitution ratio is different. Also, it may change the amount of eggs you need. I'd have to sit down and scratch it all out and test it a few times, but I'm positive that it wouldn't be as good. Still ok but not as fluffy.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I'm not a keto baker. What about flaxseed meal as a sub?
  • EryOaker
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I'm not a keto baker. What about flaxseed meal as a sub?
    In sorry, I don't know. Coconut flour has extreme absorption qualities.... that is what you need for a substitution.