Keto cheating

Options
suestack23
suestack23 Posts: 4 Member
I started keto on Monday. I love it!! I haven't cheated at all. I can't help but think that in the future I will have a social situation where I may have to eat something not keto friendly. What happens to your body? Will you get sick? Will you have to start over to get your body into ketosis?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Sounds like a keto pre-nuptial agreement lol. Unless someone holds a knife to your neck you don't HAVE TO eat something not keto friendly. You can always bring a pepperoni stick or a handful of nuts with you. ;) If you do plan to eat a little something non keto-ish, have a real proper serving portion (not a pigout) then go back to keto-ing. But don't do it too often when you are first starting or you'll find the carb cravings will never end.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Once your body has made the adjustment from burning sugar to burning fat (i.e. become fat-adapted) then whether you are in or out of ketosis is not as big a deal, unless you're doing ketosis for strict medical reasons of course.

The effects of going off-plan vary from person to person, some feel bloated / uncomfortable / unwell while others don't really notice anything. For some, it triggers cravings, for others, nothing.

Here is a link to a series of articles that discusses the difference between being 'in ketosis' and being fat-adapted. The author's style isn't for everyone, but I think she makes her point well.

pt 1 - http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard1.html
    pt 2 - http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard2.html
    pt 3 - http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/02/dont-be-a-ketard3.html

Cheers!

p.s. it's a good idea not to 'cheat' during that initial adaptation phase, which can take 2 to 6 weeks.
  • sebastiansteinmann
    sebastiansteinmann Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I usually bloat up and gain 5lbs. Usually takes me a week to get back on track a day feeling well. But that's a major cheat day.

With a cheatmeal I usually bounce back quickly.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Macadamia nuts will take the edge off for me every time. I always have 10-20 of them in my Keto-First Aid Kit.

It's not really "cheating" since your only victim is you, and you're getting no advantage from it.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Some tend to feel not well, but others notice no difference. Some get bloated, others do not. Some find their appetite returns and it is harder to return to the way they had been eating but others don't.

I tend to experience all three but the worst for me is getting back to eating normal (LCHF). I find it easy to eat low carb if I am eating low carb, but it gets hard as soon as I deviate from my path.

But I agree with the others, no need to eat off plan unless you are choosing to do so.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    I ate a piece of cake, after 3 months keto. I didnt feel sick, but I had a serious craving for more cake, or to eat everything in sight. I made sure I didn't. Absolutely nothing else happened. This was last Sunday, and I've since lost 7lbs. A normal portion of something non keto will not ruin your life, but it should be a conscious decision and you should make sure it doesn't lead to destruction.

Whoa. You're doing great!
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thank you @RalfLott! I'm at 37lbs gone forever. Can't deny I have a sweet tooth, so I made some fat bombs last night.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    How you react is often related to how much you are fat adapted. When I first started, I couldn't cheat at all. After almost a year, I can have 40-50 carbs and just get on with my life. I can't do that every day.

I would suggest that if you indulge, make it some whole foods in small portions like a whole grain cracker with lots of cheese or a small piece of fruit, not carbage foods full of sugar. If you must say something when not eating cake or something similar, just say it gives you stomach issues, that will shut them up fast. And it does, your stomach will expand, even it if is temporary, which you don't want. >:)

If it is drinks, opt for wine or hard alcohol with diet soda or straight up. Be forewarned, after eating LCHF for a while you will not be able to drink nearly as much, it hits you fast and hard.

If all else fails, envision yourself in that wonderful new outfit you want to fit into, builds willpower. o:)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I ate a piece of cake, after 3 months keto. I didnt feel sick, but I had a serious craving for more cake, or to eat everything in sight. I made sure I didn't. Absolutely nothing else happened. This was last Sunday, and I've since lost 7lbs. A normal portion of something non keto will not ruin your life, but it should be a conscious decision and you should make sure it doesn't lead to destruction.

I concur with the bolded (nicely stated IMO) and for the OP, my experiences of not getting sick have been the same.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I know that I couldn't sustain this forever without having occasional splurges on things like Mexican food (basket of chips, you're ALL mine), or the occasional Belgium waffle. But they are very occasional, like once a month. I know my weight will be up for a few days after Mexican, because that's an all out binge, so I don't freak out. I never get any gastro issues, but man, I won't lie, one foray into bread or chips and I KNOW I will have to fight cravings for a couple of days after. I know that and accept that and, as said above, make it a conscious decision with a plan.
  • CommanderEmily
    CommanderEmily Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The first time I went on keto, a few months in thanksgiving happened. I cheated a bit. I got what I now dub as a carb high, and when I came down from it I crashed pretty hard. I had an awful migraine, and I felt generally crappy and sluggish. A lesson was learned that day for me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

I concur with the bolded (nicely stated IMO) and for the OP, my experiences of not getting sick have been the same.

I agree very much with this as well. Even being someone that hasn't decided to eat non keto foods even at special occasions, I think the only time it's really a big problem is if you are approaching it from a mentality where you either feel like you 'need' it to enjoy yourself or you feel so guilty or bad because you made the choice that you are down on yourself about it afterward.

If you can have off plan foods in such a way that you aren't elevating them as some kind of amazing and super special food that makes or breaks being able to enjoy an occasion and you can do it without derailing yourself from your goals and without negative emotions about it afterward then I think you have the kind of control needed to safely enjoy them at your choosing.

I don't choose to not because of negative feelings or thinking they are so special but because I think they would make me have to battle cravings and mental hunger for at least a day or 2 afterward and I don't like that feeling. I even get that when I decide to have keto faux foods and sweets especially. I think it would be even worse with actual sugar. So I even limit use of keto desserts personally.
    My birthday was this past Sunday and I didn't even consider making a birthday treat. My family never thought twice about it either. I ate a nice seafood dinner since we're on vacation at the beach. :)
  • RalfLott
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Thank you @RalfLott! I'm at 37lbs gone forever. Can't deny I have a sweet tooth, so I made some fat bombs last night.

If you're 37 lbs. into it, you're a keto pro. B)
    I know you're motivated but also have a lot on your, er, plate. I'm totally impressed.

PS Nice profile shot!
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm positively KNOW I am addicted to sugar and especially when it is mixed with wheat flour, I go crazy!. There is no eat a little. There is only eat everything in sight and my brain begins planning for a private megabinge. So I guess you could say that for me, eating off keto (especially when sugar and flour are involved), causes me cravings...
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Happy Belated Birthday @Sunny_Bunny_ !
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Happy Belated Birthday @Sunny_Bunny_ !

Thank you!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I've noticed no difference. It took me a couple of weeks before I felt normal running after I cut my carbs below 60 (net carbs in the 30s), and I was worried after I went way off plan over Memorial Day weekend that I'd have to start over, but no, I went back to low carb and my running felt good, no problems.