Vitamin K study - another strike against reduced-fat dairy

Options
RalfLott
RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
"Conclusions: To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of MK contents of U.S. dairy products.

Findings indicate that the amount of vitamin K contents in dairy products is high and proportional to the fat content of the product."
http://cdn.nutrition.org/content/early/2017/06/01/cdn.117.000638

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Very interesting as usual. Good to know. Thanks for sharing @RalfLott!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

My pleasure..... now go eat your triple cream brie!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Yes, Sir. Will do.
  • RalfLott
    Options

Yes, Sir. Will do.

Aha! And you.... your punishment is .....
    salmon with butter and cream sauce. :D
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ralf, is part of all that vit K in dairy K2? My brain is having an oldtimer's day.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    Ralf, is part of all that vit K in dairy K2? My brain is having an oldtimer's day.

Yes! Here's the full abstract:

Background: The plant-based form of vitamin K (phylloquinone, PK, vitamin K1) has been well-quantified in the U.S. diet. Menaquinones (MK, vitamin K2) are another class of vitamin K compounds that differ from PK in the length and saturation of their side chain, but have not been well characterized in foods.

Objectives: The objectives of this study were to: 1) quantify PK and the different forms of MK (MK4 through MK13) in milk, yogurt, Greek yogurt, creams and cheeses; and 2) compare the MK contents of full-fat, reduced-fat and non-fat dairy products.

Method: All dairy samples were either obtained from USDA National Food and Nutrient Analysis Program or purchased from retail outlets. PK and MK concentrations in these dairy products were quantified by mass spectrometry technology.

Results: Full fat dairy products contained appreciable amounts of MK, primarily in the forms of MK9, MK10 and MK11. We also measured modest amounts of PK, MK4, MK8 and MK12 in these products. In contrast, there was little MK5-7 or MK13 detected in the majority of dairy products.

The total vitamin K contents of soft cheese, blue cheese, semi-soft cheese and hard cheese were 506±63, 440±41, 289±38 and 282±5.0 μg/100 g, respectively. Non-fermented cheeses, like processed cheese, contained lower amounts of vitamin K (98±11 μg/100 g). Reduced fat or fat free dairy products contained ~5-22% of the vitamin K found in full fat equivalents. For example, total vitamin K contents of full fat milk (4% fat), 2% fat milk, 1% fat milk and non-fat milk were 38.1±8.6, 19.4±7.7, 12.9±2.0 and 7.7±2.9 μg/100 g, respectively.

Conclusions: To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of MK contents of U.S. dairy products. Findings indicate that the amount of vitamin K contents in dairy products is high and proportional to the fat content of the product.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The different functions of the 2 vit 's surprised me when I first looked into it, and I have been taking vit K2 now for a few months. Good to see someone is looking at the less obvious nutritional deficiencies in low fat foods.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    Thanks. The different functions of the 2 vit 's surprised me when I first looked into it, and I have been taking vit K2 now for a few months. Good to see someone is looking at the less obvious nutritional deficiencies in low fat foods.

Yes, it certainly is. I can hardly believe this sort of research is just getting off the ground... :s
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    K2 is one of the big reasons butter is so good. :)
  • RalfLott
    Options
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

I see... still not going back to hwc as of now. Not with extra bodyfat to lose.
    I eat cheese and 2% Greek yogurt sometimes too.
    I'm not sure the stance on VitK for carnivores either. Usually there's a reduced need overall for things primarily found in plants if you don't eat plants at all. But I haven't looked into VitK at all. I've just taken the "supplements aren't necessary" mentality these days. Could be totally wrong but I can't tackle digging into this right now.
    Any info for us carnivores on K @FIT_Goat ??
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I suspect that for carnivores, we're already getting a fair amount from a number of sources. Egg, beef, and chicken are among the top sources, as well as all manner of fermented foods (including cheese), and that intake isn't competing with K1 as much. I don't think we'd need to specifically seek out dairy for the K2, though I think it's another reason to choose higher fat options when given the option.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Oh my. YUM
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see Vitamin D3 with K2 MK7 in the same bottle now so to lower the risk for putting calcium deposits in the arteries by taking high dosage of D3 only.

Not sure why but I have backed off on coconut oil and left HWC for half and half. I have backed off of eating a ton of nuts daily too but it was unplanned. Now that I am no longer IR I see my tastes are changing (decreasing for health fats in general).