Waving hello...another Keto Newbie

Options
Hi all, thought I would reach out and introduce myself. Name is Jamie. Today is day 11 of Keto, so really new. Feeling good so far. Down 14 total and 6-7 since I started. Hubby is doing this as well. His stats are so much better...ugh. : )

I'm 5'3' and currently 226. SW was 240, goal is 150 to start with and then from there see where I feel good. 130 would be awesome but is TOO far off to focus on.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. This seems like a pretty supportive group with lots of advice.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    FYI- it is common for women to have a slower start on keto because there is more hormonal balancing that needs to happen. Also, measurements are important because the other thing more likely to happen is conversion of white fat to brown fat which is denser and actually helps burn fat. So during this conversion, you may get smaller at a faster pace than lighter.
  • PinkCheek9498
    PinkCheek9498 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was expecting it to go quicker scale wise for him. Must be nice to be a dude. lol I'm happy for him though. It is totally noticeable on me though. Mid section isn't bloated and stretch marks have the wrinkling going on.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    e5ttmg6madb6.jpg

>:) or o:)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! :)

You've done amazingly well so far. Over a pound a day is huge! Even if you slow down to a couple of pounds per week, you could be nearing your goal by the end of the year. That's a lot faster than you put it on, right? ;) ... That's what I always reminded myself of anyways. :)
  • PinkCheek9498
    PinkCheek9498 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

You've done amazingly well so far. Over a pound a day is huge! Even if you slow down to a couple of pounds per week, you could be nearing your goal by the end of the year. That's a lot faster than you put it on, right? ;) ... That's what I always reminded myself of anyways. :)

Thanks. Yea I am excited about the progress just wish it was as easy as it is for the hubs. And you're correct, it is going off much quicker that it went on (for the most part)

My overall goal was 1-1 1/2 lbs per week. That would put me at goal by 40th Bday next year. So far, I'm ahead so we shall see.

Told my husband that it just seems too easy. I'm not hungry, not any real cravings, energy for days. Only down side is I'm not sleeping much. But I don't feel tired, more frustrated that I'm not sleeping. lol

• EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I apologize in advance for my foodie posts.... I promise they are all Keto friendly though! If you have any baking/recipe questions, feel free to tag me. I'm always up for a challenge.... it may take me some time though, as I have a crazy life! Lol
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Thanks. Yea I am excited about the progress just wish it was as easy as it is for the hubs. And you're correct, it is going off much quicker that it went on (for the most part)

My overall goal was 1-1 1/2 lbs per week. That would put me at goal by 40th Bday next year. So far, I'm ahead so we shall see.

Told my husband that it just seems too easy. I'm not hungry, not any real cravings, energy for days. Only down side is I'm not sleeping much. But I don't feel tired, more frustrated that I'm not sleeping. lol

Don't forget some bedtime magnesium. I use a spray on brand and it helps with a good night's sleep. :) And WELCOME! My hubby and I are doing keto together also. You'll find this forum to be an excellent place for info as well as compassion. There can be so many questions when beginning this WOE.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

It is not uncommon to need less sleep. However, it is important to get enough - which varies from person to person. There are many posts online about sleep with tips to help like magnesium mentioned above as well as getting at least 15-20 minutes of sun midday, staying off electronics (or at least wearing blue-blocker glasses while using them) for a couple hours before bed.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

It's great when you find it easy. :) You almost don't want to say it out loud and jinx it. LOL

I'm another who needs a bit less sleep now. I have no idea why but I feel even more rested than I used to.

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else around here old enough to remember the cartoon strip "Cathy?" In one episode, Cathy travels to a health resort for a week of hiking, exercise classes and lettuce leaves. On returning, she proudly announces to her boyfriend that she lost EIGHT POUNDS!!!! His response: "Good for you! I lost ten pounds by giving up that second chocolate milkshake after dinner."
  • hnyzthms
    hnyzthms Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hi im a complete newbie to this and i am hoping for some advice and support and positive feedback.
    Today i am starting low carb trying to keep to below 50g a day currently i have anything from 100-200 plus a day.

My stats are 5ft3 161lbs i want to get as close as i can to 150 by end of july (not sure if this is achievable)

Everyone tells me weight loss is cico and i understand this can someone tell me how lower carbs helps aids weight loss as lots of people have told me works well for weight loss too xx
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    hnyzthms wrote: »
    Everyone tells me weight loss is cico and i understand this can someone tell me how lower carbs helps aids weight loss as lots of people have told me works well for weight loss too xx

There's a thread here with a good chart. (I can't recall the name, but it's in the recent threads in the group.) However, for me the big benefit of low carbing is just that I feel more satisfied on lower cals eating higher fat/lower carbs. Many find it helps them not need to eat so often also (although I like eating 3 times a day and never had a problem doing that on other macros).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Jamie!
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welcome all! :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    hnyzthms wrote: »

There's a thread here with a good chart. (I can't recall the name, but it's in the recent threads in the group.) However, for me the big benefit of low carbing is just that I feel more satisfied on lower cals eating higher fat/lower carbs. Many find it helps them not need to eat so often also (although I like eating 3 times a day and never had a problem doing that on other macros).

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10435220/how-low-carb-diets-actually-work#latest
    How-Low-Carb-Diets-Actually-Work.png
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    For me, LCHF helps me adhere to my calories.

Yes, I am a firm believer in calories, CICO. CICO is the base for me. Macro allocation is how I go about adhering to overall calories for maintenance, for weight loss for overall health.
  • JanelleOYSTraining
    JanelleOYSTraining Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone I'm new to the keto lifestyle this is day #1
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new LCHF folks. You'll love this forum! :)