Alternative to Sugar

Options
ripptorn714
ripptorn714 Posts: 25 Member
Hi, I want to find a good alternative to sugar for my coffee that does not include artificial sweeteners. I've tried Stevia, Monk Fruit and Coconut sugar and I find that all have an unpleasant after taste. Any idea?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    try using small amounts of these together... They all work on different taste buds and receptors, so use really tiny amounts together. I find that the only time I get an aftertaste is if I used too much of a product.

More natural but higher carb versions are Yacon Syrup or Lacuma Powder, both recommended by:

www.healthfulpursuit.com
    healthfulpursuit.com
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the great ideas. I am going to try that tomorrow morning. I have a hard time drinking coffee without sugar so I hope this helps.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Nearly everyone I know who started with sweetened and/or creamed coffee eventually ended up enjoying black. I wish you luck to find your own "Coffee Zen," @ripptorn714
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Oh, and just as an example, I have a friend who used 8 splenda packets in her coffee. Once she switched to splenda and Sweet Leaf brand Stevia packets, she went down to 1 packet stevia, 3-4 packets splenda, just right off the bat, and she wasn't low carb at all...and eventually got down to 1 and 1, then partials of each...never going low carb or stopping sweets completely.
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    I am trying to eliminate all sugar in my diet but coffee is the last hold out.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I like the sugar free coffee syrups (Torani, DaVinci, etc.) They are sweetened with Splenda, but I don't find them to have a heavy aftertaste.
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    Oh! I forgot about those. Great idea, thanks!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The problem is if you use more than enough to slightly sweeten it has a bad taste. So if you come from heavily sweetened coffee and try to sweeten to the same degree with other sweeteners, you get too much aftertaste.
    You'll need to use less of them to eliminate their funky taste. Also, I'd suggest using only liquid sweeteners like stevia or sucralose because the powdered ones have fillers added that often have a higher glycemic index than even white sugar.
    Try learning to sweeten only to tolerance and not to taste.
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    The problem is if you use more than enough to slightly sweeten it has a bad taste. So if you come from heavily sweetened coffee and try to sweeten to the same degree with other sweeteners, you get too much aftertaste.
    You'll need to use less of them to eliminate their funky taste. Also, I'd suggest using only liquid sweeteners like stevia or sucralose because the powdered ones have fillers added that often have a higher glycemic index than even white sugar.
    Try learning to sweeten only to tolerance and not to taste.

Thanks for the liquid suggestion! I will try to get some next time I am at the store.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I like the Whole Foods, 365 brand, liquid stevia drops. Nothing is the same as sugar, but this helps. On a "sensitive, fussy" taste day, sometimes I also add a 1/4 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and for some reason that and my creamer makes it taste very good to me.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Of the liquid types, I prefer those with alcohol versus glycerin. With those with alcohol, I've found it easier to get only 4 drops or whatever amount. Those with glycerin drip extra from the side of the dropper sometimes if i'm slow.

If you have Trader Joe's locally, i like both their dry and liquid stevia. Decent price too.
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    elize7 wrote: »
    I like the Whole Foods, 365 brand, liquid stevia drops. Nothing is the same as sugar, but this helps. On a "sensitive, fussy" taste day, sometimes I also add a 1/4 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and for some reason that and my creamer makes it taste very good to me.

Yes! I like that idea of the cocoa powder.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    I mix stevia & splenda together. The splenda negates most of the aftertaste of the stevia. I usually use two stevia & one splenda acket. Before I was doing equal amounts.
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    I mix stevia & splenda together. The splenda negates most of the aftertaste of the stevia. I usually use two stevia & one splenda acket. Before I was doing equal amounts.

Thanks, that worth a try.
  • majestic_yogi
    majestic_yogi Posts: 41 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I buy a big bottle of sugar free Syrup from Starbucks with spray pump. It costs around 12$, lasts for a while and Coffee just tastes like the one at Starbucks with no after taste. I personally like sugar free Cinnamon Dolce, but they have many other flavors. Another favorite of mine when I am craving pumpkin in fall is Archer farms Pumpkin spice SF syrup I buy from Target.
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    Cinnamon Dolce sounds awesome.
  • Changeling926
    Changeling926 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Swerve (confectioner's blend which dissolves instantly). It's is made from a combination of Erythritol and Stevia.
  • ripptorn714
    Options
    I use Swerve (confectioner's blend which dissolves instantly). It's is made from a combination of Erythritol and Stevia.

Thanks for the tip. Does it have any funky aftertaste?
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I recently found a 'de-bittered' liquid stevia on Amazon
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @ripptorn714 - I haven't used Swerve yet, but I've used other blends of the two...the only thing I find is when using large quantities (like for baking, batching, etc.), it can have a "cooling effect" on the mouth from the Erythritol... But I've used packets, maybe up to 4 for 14 oz of tea/hot beverage of choice without any cooling effect, but some cookies I was gifted from a Keto Krate were so awkwardly cool, it was almost like eating frozen sand...I think the cookies were ONLY ERYTHRITOL, though...if I remember correctly...