New Video: Statin Drugs and Diabetes, What You Need To Know. Dr Perlmutter

Options
Sunny_Bunny_
Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
edited June 2017 in Social Groups
I haven't watched it but thought I'd share it anyway in good faith that it's solid info.
I'm traveling and don't want to stream video on data...

Let me know if you found it informative.

http://www.drperlmutter.com/statin-drugs-diabetes-what-you-need-to-know/

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It was good. Statins increase your risk of developing T2D within 6 years by 46%. The most interesting to me was that those with the lowest BG that started statins were the most likely to develop T2D.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It was good. I just don't know what to do with that information as a person who was placed on statins and now is type 2. Now what? I'm trying to get off my meds and am doing as much as I can. I am working to get my carbs down and I am going to try some intermittent fasting to see if I can get my glucose down. I'm just not sure about the implications if I stop taking a statin.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »
    It was good. I just don't know what to do with that information as a person who was placed on statins and now is type 2. Now what? I'm trying to get off my meds and am doing as much as I can. I am working to get my carbs down and I am going to try some intermittent fasting to see if I can get my glucose down. I'm just not sure about the implications if I stop taking a statin.

I see no harm in making it a longer term goal. No need to rush into anything. One thing at a time... definitely don't let becoming overwhelmed with too much possibly interfere with staying on the right path to your goals.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    rjan91 wrote: »

I think it can depend on why you take the statin. Statin use is much better for some people than others.

Have you read Choletserol Clarity, Great Cholesterol Myth, or Cholesterol Con? All great books on the topic.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    No I haven't. I was placed on it when I was placed on blood pressure meds about 10 yrs ago. I think it was more prophylactic at the time then anything.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I took a statin for about 10 years. I developed T2D. I am not saying there is a causal link.

My last combined cholesterol was 156, and I decided to stop taking my statin. I told the nurse at my doctor's office, and she asked if that had been the doctor's intent. I said, "No, but I am telling you so he will know the next time he looks at my file." She said, "ok."

Since the last lipid panel, I have lost another 40 pounds. I need to get some baseline numbers without meds given the weight loss.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    My husband had a bad reaction to statins. Put him in the hospital after just 6 weeks on the stuff. He now has permanent liver and kidney damage. It was scary.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I like Dr Perlmutter. But without checking the actual study...I think someone somewhere wanted a sensational headline... If it was true that statins alone gave a 40% increased risk of type2D, wouldn't many, many more people be diagnosed? Given that statins is one of the most popular pills nowadays for preventative measures against CVD. I'm totally guessing here, but I suspect the relation between statins and T2D is more like a catalyst or maybe a negative enhancer on top of the ill effects of typical western lifestyle with SAD diet and sedentary lifestyle. According to thennt.com statins led to T2D in 10% of statin users.

The main point Perlmutter is making is that there's no pills without side effects, I fully applaud. Just my thoughts :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    I like Dr Perlmutter. But without checking the actual study...I think someone somewhere wanted a sensational headline... If it was true that statins alone gave a 40% increased risk of type2D, wouldn't many, many more people be diagnosed? Given that statins is one of the most popular pills nowadays for preventative measures against CVD. I'm totally guessing here, but I suspect the relation between statins and T2D is more like a catalyst or maybe a negative enhancer on top of the ill effects of typical western lifestyle with SAD diet and sedentary lifestyle. According to thennt.com statins led to T2D in 10% of statin users.

The main point Perlmutter is making is that there's no pills without side effects, I fully applaud. Just my thoughts :)

This is where understanding the numbers is important. If 10 out of 100 not on statins got T2D, this means 14 on statins got T2D. This is an increase of 40% relative risk when in reality it is only a matter of 4% more total risk.

Here is a link to a good site regarding Number Needed to Treat for statins. You can go to their main page and they do a great job really explaining how these numbers work and you can look up other treatments.

http://www.thennt.com/nnt/statins-for-heart-disease-prevention-without-prior-heart-disease-2/
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It's important not to mix the different groups of statin candidates. Diabetes, heart disease, or CAC score, history of coronary events, lipid levels..... draw distinctions in risk.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just learned about statin/type 2 diabetes assocation. Some studies show they help with a 50ish male after a heart attack up until 65 but no added longevity gain after about age 60. Per one report there is no research it supports females from ever taking statins. I never have drilled down on their usage since we not to take them in our house.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I will read this. I was on generic Lipitor for a few years after being diagnosed with T2D, told my triglycerides were off the charts and so part of my lipid panel results were too hard to determine because of that. After one month on keto, my triglycerides went down significantly and also my HDL went to normal-high range.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Another baby/bathwater caution -

IF you have diabetes and are at high-risk for cardiac events, the cost-benefit calculus looks a bit different (in part due to the anti-inflammatory, plaque-stabilizing effects of some statins).

Also, not all statins produce the same side effects.
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    To be clear, I should state I have been OFF Lipitor generic since early May 2016 with no ill effect that I can see. Am having another blood panel done as soon as I can see my way to clearing the last out of pocket medical expense from the last lab test (was not covered under my previous insurance).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just rewatched this after Dr. Phinney's new two part video. This is more than just scary and worth the 5 minutes it takes to watch.
  • sarahtrust
    sarahtrust Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was on statins but developed bad leg pains which I reported to all doctors/ hospital etc They tried me on many other kinds of statin . in the end I refused to take them, having read much on the side - effects of statins Medical professionals saw no connection between the debilitating leg pains and the statins. Once off, leg pains ceased. There is much controversy re statins, I would never take them again.
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    @sarahtrust ~ muscle cramps are a VERY common side effect of statins. Any medical professional who "doesn't see the connection" is either highly ignorant on the matter, or they are lying. In either case, I'd be seeking new medical professionals. I am sorry for your experience.
  • rnjenny8599
    rnjenny8599 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to an explanation of why statins cause T2. Very good explanation.
    http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/04/statins-and-diabetes.html#more
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    sarahtrust wrote: »
    I was on statins but developed bad leg pains which I reported to all doctors/ hospital etc They tried me on many other kinds of statin . in the end I refused to take them, having read much on the side - effects of statins Medical professionals saw no connection between the debilitating leg pains and the statins. Once off, leg pains ceased. There is much controversy re statins, I would never take them again.

Ouch! Glad you figured it out.

Same thing happened to my mom. She tried two and then stopped once we realized that slightly higher cholesterol may be protective to senior women.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Another baby/bathwater caution -

IF you have diabetes and are at high-risk for cardiac events, the cost-benefit calculus looks a bit different (in part due to the anti-inflammatory, plaque-stabilizing effects of some statins).

Also, not all statins produce the same side effects.

I gotta agree with this - my wife takes a small dose statin and will for the rest of her life for the prophylactic effect - not because it reduces cholesterol but because the one she is prescribed helps to lubricate the inner walls of the blood vessels. The reason she was given the statin? She had a brain aneurysm and a TIA stroke within a month of each other.